KUZMA XL AIR

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
After years of development, Kuzma has released a new flagship turntable - the XL AIR and yes, XL DC owners can upgrade....

“XL AIR turntable differs from Stabi XL DC turntable by using air bearing and extra bronze platter having total platter mass of 44 kg. Stabi XL DC can be converted into XL AIR version by using XL AIR kit. Current delivery time is 90-120 days.

XL Air turntable is using air bearing compared coventional bearing which allows improvement in two important paramethers in turntable design.
Air bearing have r zero friction and thus no vibrations in bearing itself thus eliminating noise reaching cartridge.
Second advantage with properly designed air bearing ( not just simple floating on air chusion) is higher load.
Total mass of rotating platter is 44 kg making it more imune to cartridge drag which slows down any platter regardlessof mass and drive. The top platter- same as in XL DC turntable ( 22 kg) is a sandwich construction of aluminium and acrylic plates screwed together in a pre-stressed form to damp all unwanted vibration. Lower bronze platter ( 22kg) is cast and gives good damping properites.
Air bearing requires for function compressed air which is supplied from air supply.
Air supply consist of compressor and air filters. See for details in this manual elsewhere.
Turntable's air bering actually consists from two bearings surfaces. Top surface carries vertical load while cilyndrical hole carries horiontal load. Air bearing has a shaft of 31mm and trust plate of 60 mm.
Air bearing surfaces are made from porous carbon thus having milions of small holes to let air pressure out. This creates more uniform pressure inside bearing's gap of 5 microns with 4bar pressure thus making air bearing stiffer with zero movements.
The base holding air bearing is made from two pieces of solid brass which are clamped together having good damping properties.”

http://www.kuzma.si/xl-air-turntable.html
http://www.kuzma.si/media/uploads/fi...URE%202019.pdf
http://www.kuzma.si/media/uploads/fi...URE%202019.pdf

719BA702-3217-4887-9F4E-224D124AD9D0.jpeg

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
IMG_2095.jpeg IMG_2074.jpeg

XL AIR KIT arrived…

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Assembly…

IMG_2080.jpeg IMG_2086.jpeg IMG_2088.jpeg IMG_2100.jpeg IMG_2105.jpeg IMG_2102.jpeg

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Reactions: Birdwatcher

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Ooo in matt black.....very nice 'Marcus' :)
And with the Safir 9 arm too..very very nice.....drool.....the XL Air and Safir 9 look like a match made in heaven both technically and aesthetically.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Safir 9 and XL Air are indeed a match made in heaven. I’m still in shock how huge and fundamental improvements the Air kit made to my system. Can not believe only the air bearing is responsible for such a radical transformation in sound quality. More to follow…

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Here’s a few thoughts about the XL Air upgrade:

For starters, I would like to share an interesting experience. Years ago, soon after the XL Air turntable was introduced, Franc demonstrated its air bearing capabilities and removed the belt from the motor, put on the LP and a strobe, spun the platter manually to 33.33 rpm, and lowered the tonearm. We listened and were positively shocked at what a great difference a motor-less turntable made. We listened to almost 3 minutes of RCA Living Stereo Scheherazade, and only then did the speed slowly drop so that manual correction was needed. Then Franc put back the belt, and we listened to the same piece of music again. It still sounded great, just not as good as before. That utter calmness, fluidity, and continuity of sound were not there anymore. Franc told me later that after this experiment, he spun the platter with his hand to 33.33 again and left it to see how long it would take to come to a complete stop. Even after 30 hours(!!!), the platter didn’t stop completely. Near the end, it slightly rocked back and forth for a few hours and then finally stopped. Really impressive. Unfortunately, we can’t listen to turntables without motors, so this was only an instructive experiment to test the capabilities of his air bearing and, of course, how much of an influence on sound motors have.

I listened to the XL Air turntable lots of times but, unfortunately, never directly compared it to the regular ruby ball bearing XL DC that I used in my system. But on those occasions when I listened to it, there was something "special" that was encouraging me to get it. Then the new Kuzma Safir 9 tonearm came on the market, and I thought it would bring more to my system than the Air upgrade, so this upgrade had to wait a bit longer. Finally, in the spring, the opportunity occurred, and I managed to finance the Air Kit.

I expected subtle improvements in various areas from the upgrade, but what followed came as a complete surprise. Honestly, I really didn’t expect such profound improvements in all aspects of reproduction. Everything was better, and that was obvious right from the start. In just a few moments, I was overwhelmed with so much information and improvements, and they multiplied from minute to minute, that it was almost impossible to grasp all of them. There were also lots of changes and improvements that I simply can’t explain yet but suspect are connected with the lowering of all kinds of distortions. I will try to describe what I experienced and still do, even though in audio, time always "eats" improvements to the point that, after a few weeks (or months at best), you get used to them and incorporate them into the new reality.

One of the most obvious improvements was massively increased dynamic contrasts, both at a micro and macro level. There was also an increased feeling of overall calmness. Listening at higher volumes just intensified the experience because of this, without the usual downsides. Music as a whole now sounds less reproduced, and differences between recordings are even more pronounced. The best ones (like D2D Smetana, Má Vlast, J. Hruša/Bamberg Symphony Orchestra, for instance) sounded breathtakingly realistic, but interestingly, some that I thought were quite good were, let’s say, not so good anymore. The Air Kit intensified the distinction between good, better, and best recordings and showed them in more vivid contrast. Consequently, recording venues and their characteristics, outlines, and dimensions became more distinctive too. I think this is also a consequence of increased resolution.

Individual tones and decays were longer, but not on account of transient crispness. High-register instruments like flutes and piccolos have more body, and everything else in this department seems to be fuller, more right, and more realistic. The wood character of wood instruments became more distinctive; the same goes for brass instruments, and so on. There is absolutely no sonic downside to the Kuzma air bearing. At least I haven’t heard any. Yes, the air bearing demands some care and attention, like the oil level in the air compressor needs to be checked every now and then. You also need to open the air valve before the listening session and close it afterwards, and that’s all. No big deal.

I haven’t tried my old tonearm (the 4Point 14) with the air bearing, but think this upgrade has also greatly improved the performance of Safir 9. Better conditions must have helped it more easily show its full potential. The XL Air Kit is expensive (about 20.000 €/$), but it’s worth every cent or penny, IMO.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hello Marcus I have e the Cs port , the XL air and GP monaco 3 on my wish list
I hear the monaco vs xl air soon at the same UK dealer/importer
Did you hear the Cs port before opting for your xl air love to know your views
Simon

No. Turntable direct comparisons are the hardest to make imo. Hope your dealer is able to demo you XL Air vs Monaco 3 with same tonearm and cartridge and is skilled at the setup….

Reactions: mtemur

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Moved my post from SAFIR9 thread to this thread regarding my reply to 'simonthepieman' post that was in the SAFIR9 thread for the Kuzma XL AIR;

simonthepieman said:
Great posts have you heard the xl air? Are you going down that route in the future?
Really enjoying all the info you supply best wishes Simon

Hi Simon, Yes I have had the great pleasure from Definitive Audio (Kevin and Lynn Scott) to have heard the Kuzma XL AIR TT with the Kuzma Safir9 and Kuzma CAR60 and the Grand Prix Audio's latest Monaco V3 TT with the Kuzma 4Point14" and Kuzma CAR50 both connected to Constellation Audio SUTs which were connected to the latest and TOTL SJS Electroacoustics Arcadia (Simon Shilton) tube electronics (incl. the new SJS Model 10 Mono Block valve amplifiers, 20W per channel from parallel single ended 300B valves) which were connected to the new Living Voice R80 Speakers together side by side and directly one after the other spinning the same record at last years UK Audio Show at Ascot.

This system is one of my all time favorite systems to listen too. On two occasions listening to two Definitive Audio / Living Voice / SJS Electroacoustics Arcadia systems last year and the year before both at UK HiFi shows I was in these rooms for over 3 hours for each of them I loved the sound from them. They are both just so musical and emotional sounding systems. They draw you into the music like no other system I have encountered to date.
I believe Definitive Audio / Living Voice and SJS have spent many many hours working together to get the best sound possible from their equipment. And this dedication shows when you hear such a system as these.
I have read that many people have said the same when they have heard the same system(s) at other HiFi Shows i.e. Munich for instance.

It wasn't a fair direct comparison of these two amazing TTs with them having different tonearms and cartridges and the XL AIR having the TOTL Kuzma products fitted to it.

The XL AIR to my ears had deeper bass, deeper and wider sound stage and overall more musical.
The Monaco V3 to my ears had clearer / more sparkly and more focused treble although the bass, sound stage etc. was also fantastic.
If you heard them separately in different rooms and at different times, I don't think the differences would then be all that great although if I had the money I would be tempted to have both for different flavors, music genres etc..
If I had to pick just one of them it would be the XL AIR as I already have the XL DC and love it both from a sound, day to day usability, it's simplicity, it's looks ease of setting it up etc. and of course would have to be fitted with at least two Kuzma arms (Safir9 and 4Point 11" or 14").

Where in the UK are you going to listen to the XL AIR and Monaco TT's ? And where are you based in the UK ?

Reactions: simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Oct 2, 2020
No. Turntable direct comparisons are the hardest to make imo. Hope your dealer is able to demo you XL Air vs Monaco 3 with same tonearm and cartridge and is skilled at the setup….
Yes same arm and cartridge I expect he is an expert. Uk distributor for both kuzma and gp
.been in this industry for years

simonthepieman

Oct 2, 2020
Moved my post from SAFIR9 thread to this thread regarding my reply to 'simonthepieman' post that was in the SAFIR9 thread for the Kuzma XL AIR;

Hi Simon, Yes I have had the great pleasure from Definitive Audio (Kevin and Lynn Scott) to have heard the Kuzma XL AIR TT with the Kuzma Safir9 and Kuzma CAR60 and the Grand Prix Audio's latest Monaco V3 TT with the Kuzma 4Point14" and Kuzma CAR50 both connected to Constellation Audio SUTs which were connected to the latest and TOTL SJS Electroacoustics Arcadia (Simon Shilton) tube electronics (incl. the new SJS Model 10 Mono Block valve amplifiers, 20W per channel from parallel single ended 300B valves) which were connected to the new Living Voice R80 Speakers together side by side and directly one after the other spinning the same record at last years UK Audio Show at Ascot.

This system is one of my all time favorite systems to listen too. On two occasions listening to two Definitive Audio / Living Voice / SJS Electroacoustics Arcadia systems last year and the year before both at UK HiFi shows I was in these rooms for over 3 hours for each of them I loved the sound from them. They are both just so musical and emotional sounding systems. They draw you into the music like no other system I have encountered to date.
I believe Definitive Audio / Living Voice and SJS have spent many many hours working together to get the best sound possible from their equipment. And this dedication shows when you hear such a system as these.
I have read that many people have said the same when they have heard the same system(s) at other HiFi Shows i.e. Munich for instance.

It wasn't a fair direct comparison of these two amazing TTs with them having different tonearms and cartridges and the XL AIR having the TOTL Kuzma products fitted to it.

The XL AIR to my ears had deeper bass, deeper and wider sound stage and overall more musical.
The Monaco V3 to my ears had clearer / more sparkly and more focused treble although the bass, sound stage etc. was also fantastic.
If you heard them separately in different rooms and at different times, I don't think the differences would then be all that great although if I had the money I would be tempted to have both for different flavors, music genres etc..
If I had to pick just one of them it would be the XL AIR as I already have the XL DC and love it both from a sound, day to day usability, it's simplicity, it's looks ease of setting it up etc. and of course would have to be fitted with at least two Kuzma arms (Safir9 and 4Point 11" or 14").

Where in the UK are you going to listen to the XL AIR and Monaco TT's ? And where are you based in the UK ?
Thank you so much im about to do the same demo at Kevin's in the near future. I popped in unplanned as I was on business in Nottingham. The monaco wasn't set up so listened to stabi M compared to xl air with safir obviously no comparison. Xl air hugely different the rest of the system was likely similar with his smaller floostanding speakers
Are you based in the North of England im in Holmfirth West Yorkshire
Are there any other mega turntables you ruled out before choosing kuzma?
Currently sme model 15 with series 5 arm
Thank you again great insight. Kevin also suggested the same as your comments sound wise of both systems. Monaco carbon fibre precise, xl air more refined,analog, real wooden violins I noted on one piece he played me, in fact I was transfixed for 12 mins so moving and I'm not really a classical fan
Best wishes Simon

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Does anyone know how Kuzma keep their Sil Air compressor unit quiet? This is a typical unit used in dentists etc where absolute quiet is not a necessity. I would love to find a pump for my air bearing LT that is whisper quiet.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Does anyone know how Kuzma keep their Sil Air compressor unit quiet? This is a typical unit used in dentists etc where absolute quiet is not a necessity. I would love to find a pump for my air bearing LT that is whisper quiet.
Forget Kuzma then. It’s not quiet enough to be placed in the same room with your system. But my friend build a closet for it and results are fine.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Company 'Vyger' may be able to help you with their new 'Titan' air supply Compressor System ?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Forget Kuzma then. It’s not quiet enough to be placed in the same room with your system. But my friend build a closet for it and results are fine.
I do that already, my pump in eaves space outside my loft listening room. I assumed it was whisper quiet like the CS Port and Vyger.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Company 'Vyger' may be able to help you with their new 'Titan' air supply Compressor System ?
Hmm, may be overkill AND overpriced for my, um, *modest* system, lol.

thekong

May 10, 2012

If I remember correctly, the Terminator needs only less than 2 psi of air pressure. You may want to check out the Micro Seiki compressors, which are quiet enough to be placed right under the turntable. They may be powerful enough for the Terminator

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing