Lampizator Baltic 4: Single-Ended or Balanced Output?

Are you using the single-ended or balanced output of your Baltic 3 or 4?

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For those of you who have a Lampizator Baltic 3 or Baltic 4, are you using the single-ended or the balanced output?

What differences in sound do you hear between the two outputs?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Lampizator Baltic owners?

NickMimi

Jan 13, 2023
I own and run a B3. My preference has been single ended RCA unless i need a long run beyond 1.5 meters When i need a longer run i always use the balanced XLR. Ultimately I personally do not have a preference between them as far as the SQ goes

Reactions: Ron Resnick

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
I use RCA, but I also have upgraded Neutrik RCA connectors on my B3 and using RCA also allows me to use the "High gain" setting which was available on the earlier B3's but later removed for a more modest setting. To my years this sounds better even if it's always difficult to compare at different volume levels.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Is the Baltic 4 a true balanced design? Or does it just offer balanced outputs for convenience?

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Per Lampizator Poland:

MAIN HIGHLIGHTS
  • Every unit is SE and Balanced at the same time, no need to configure the unit as balanced.
  • True balanced topology with four channels - one per each phase of stereo sound.
  • Our newest 2022 engine 11 also with DSD512 on board as standard
  • True Copper output capacitors
  • Volume control as an option
  • 4 digital inputs: USB, SPDIF, TOSLINK and AES/EBU in every DAC
  • New tube topology that redefines what is possible with tubes in the DAC
  • Fully tubed, directly heated dual diode rectified, CLC filtered anode power supply.

Reactions: lordcloud

kilervideo

Apr 17, 2023
Hi Guys. Anyone out the. It is better to buy new Lampizator Baltic 4 with new engine11 or shop for demo/used one? I can buy one Lampizator Big 7SE Mk2 with engine 53 for less or Lampizator THE Golden Gate older model for slightly more than new Baltic.

Reactions: Miki70

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
I realize that this is a very old topic, but if anyone cares, the positive XLR signal connects directly to the RCA output so essentially the sound should be the same.

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
I realize that this is a very old topic, but if anyone cares, the positive XLR signal connects directly to the RCA output so essentially the sound should be the same.
Really, I didn't find that to be the case. I just spent the entire weekend comparing XLRs and RCAs on my Baltic 4 and they're incredibly different. Granted, I didn't have the same model of each of my cables in both RCA and XLR terminations, but I used 4-5 cables of each type (and similar quality) and there's no question in my mind that using XLR interconnects with the Lampi adds layering and dimensionality that were not present with the RCA cables. In fact, the RCAs gave the presentation a more subdued but euphonic sound signature and I was considering whether that might be a possible solution to those of who find the Baltic 4 to be too punchy with its 12BH7 tubes. Before this weekend, I had always used balanced outputs from the Lampi to my Zesto preamp and by swapping in RCAs (keeping balanced cables from pre to power amp), it was a completely different experience with the DAC. Ultimately, I found the results with the XLRs too impressive to abandon and will continue to experiment with different brands to see which work best in my system.

Reactions: christoph

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
I would suggest checking the input impedances of the device that you are connecting the Baltic 4 to. If the input impedance of the inputs are different then that might account for the differences that you hear. Certainly the balanced output is preferred but the same positive XLR wire connects to the RCA hot.

Please note that my comments only apply to the Baltic 4 without volume control. I am not familiar with the wiring of the VC unit.

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
The Zesto Leto II has the following input specs:
  • 3 sets of true transformer Balanced inputs (pin 2 hot) with an impedance of 10K Ohms.
  • 3 sets of Single Ended inputs with an impedance of 100K Ohms.

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
It is possible that the differences that you are hearing have more to do with the transformer based XLR input vs the straight RCA input.

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
Thanks, it was an interesting experience trying out RCA vs XLR on the preamp. I also have a Pass Labs Int-60 sitting in the closet and recall hearing a distinction there as well but may test that out in the coming weeks to confirm.

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
Cool! Nelson Pass is the only transistor designer that I trust implicitly. He is the epitome of a KISS designer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing