Lampizator or PS Audio Directstream DAC Mk2?

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Enjoy the Atlantic TRP Balanced, @Undecided_Dave.

For those who have followed the discussion regarding @Undecided_Dave's difficulty arranging a Bricasti DAC demo, and who may be interested going forward, I received contact info today from Mr. Zolner of Bricasti Design for a gentleman in the UK to arrange an in-home audition. I have no business interest with Bricasti Design other than being a customer.

Last edited:
Reactions: keithc and Rexp

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Thanks.
Atlantic 3 TRP Balanced without volume control. I just couldn't resist the tubes.
This is a very good DAC. You have many years of beautiful digital music ahead of you.

Reactions: Mamon and christoph

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Well …That’s my very point.
What is being implied? Could it be that lots of people like Lampizator here because they like Lampizator? Nothing has had a greater impact on my audio journey. Nothing. That is just me, of course. YMMV. However, that impact had nothing to do with this forum…. I found fellow Lampi owners here, but their love didn’t inspire mine. Discussions on forums can indeed help us make decisions, but they are only a part of what goes into making our choices. Listening should come first. My money is where my mouth is. For me, the Horizon is the greatest dac ever made. That is just one man’s opinion, but it is my truth…..

Congrats to the OP! Lampi FTW

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'll try and keep this short and try to summarise a near 30 minute conversation with my colleague.

He did listen to the Lampi in his own system as well as all the other DACs he tried. Off the four he tried he felt the Lampi had decent weight (bettered by the weiss) and reasonable extension but suffered from a slight softening in the lower and mid bass. (when compared to the others). He spent 4 weeks with it in his system and he did say it never sounded bad, it just didnt seem to "pick up its feet" fast enough when dealing with fast bass heavy tracks. The others were across the board more nimble and this ultimately informed his decision on which way to go.

it is all about rolling the valves with the Lampi. Not about whether he spends one day with it or 4 weeks.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
What are you babbling on about man ? WBF IS particularly Lampizator centric … FACT
I don’t mean to babble or be start a controversy, brother. I am just not sure what you are suggesting. Yes, lots of people here have Lampi dacs, but what are you suggesting? It’s like saying lots of people on a foodie forum all recommend one of the best restaurants in town. Of course they do…. Lampizator is a great company. I met Lukasz. He is rad! They have treated me superbly. Their representative near me is one of the best companies as well. I have listened to lots of dacs and auditioned many in my system, settling on the Pacific and then Horizon. I have also helped friends set up systems with Baltics and they are super happy with them.

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I don’t mean to babble or be start a controversy, brother. I am just not sure what you are suggesting. Yes, lots of people here have Lampi dacs, but what are you suggesting? It’s like saying lots of people on a foodie forum all recommend one of the best restaurants in town. Of course they do…. Lampizator is a great company. I met Lukasz. He is rad! They have treated me superbly. Their representative near me is one of the best companies as well. I have listened to lots of dacs and auditioned many in my system, settling on the Pacific and then Horizon. I have also helped friends set up systems with Baltics and they are super happy with them.
No worries and I concur with your considerations regarding Lampizator the company and of Lukasz himself , however to go back to my original post , I was merely pointing out to the OP that WBF is a Very pro Lampizator forum and therefore that he would be unlikely to receive an entirely balanced response to his question . Anyhoo it would now appear that he needs to amend his forum handle so all good :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sampajanna
Nov 19, 2023
Hertfordshire
Hi All,

Still waiting on a delivery date for the Atlantic 3, however I was looking to get ahead of myself and get some 'spare' tubes as backups. Can anyone suggest a relatively low cost option for a rectifier that doesnt sound too bad for the money?

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Hi All,

Still waiting on a delivery date for the Atlantic 3, however I was looking to get ahead of myself and get some 'spare' tubes as backups. Can anyone suggest a relatively low cost option for a rectifier that doesnt sound too bad for the money?

USAF596 + Woo adapter

However, I do think rectifiers are commiserate with price, and make a HUGE impact in sound.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Hi All,

The rectifier delivered with my Atlantic 3 is surprisingly good. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's the weakest link.

If you want an easy improvement without a huge expense, order a set of the Sophia Electric EL34 tubes. At least in my system, they are considerably better than any of the new production KT88s available. I excluded the NOS tubes people on here love because I use my Atlantic 3 in balanced mode, and finding a quad-matched set of anything that's NOS is almost impossible.

I'm also not fond of buying tubes on Ebay, and I couldn't find an established, trustworthy dealer who sells the F2As.

Reactions: christoph
Nov 19, 2023
Hertfordshire
The rectifier delivered with my Atlantic 3 is surprisingly good. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's the weakest link.

If you want an easy improvement without a huge expense, order a set of the Sophia Electric EL34 tubes. At least in my system, they are considerably better than any of the new production KT88s available. I excluded the NOS tubes people on here love because I use my Atlantic 3 in balanced mode, and finding a quad-matched set of anything that's NOS is almost impossible.

I'm also not fond of buying tubes on Ebay, and I couldn't find an established, trustworthy dealer who sells the F2As.
I am preempting a difficulty in getting matched quads as mine is also balanced. Here in the UK it seems getting some of these high end tubes comes with considerable import taxes and duty. Which is fine if you want to spend the cash but sucks in terms of overall value for money. I also do not trust ebay for this kind of purchase.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
True Cost of Lampizator ownership is significantly affected by the acquisition of additional tubes, which is easily verified by reading Lampizator tube rolling threads.

Nothing at all wrong with it, in fact it’s part of the fun, but owners need to be wide-eyed as they wade into Lampizator ownership and its related FOMO.

Tube prices are what they are. Tubes are a limited commodity with demand often exceeding supply. Decrying their cost is akin to a high end sports car owner bemoaning the cost of better/different tires.

The rectifier supplied by Lampizator is excellent. In fact, the entire factory tube set is excellent. It’s highly unlikely based on my Baltic 3 tube rolling experience that the supplied rectifier will be bettered by an inexpensive (or moderately expensive) alternative.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023
Hertfordshire
True Cost of Lampizator ownership is significantly affected by the acquisition of additional tubes, which is easily verified by reading Lampizator tube rolling threads.

Nothing at all wrong with it, in fact it’s part of the fun, but owners need to be wide-eyed as they wade into Lampizator ownership and its related FOMO.

Tube prices are what they are. Tubes are a limited commodity with demand often exceeding supply. Decrying their cost is akin to a high end sports car owner bemoaning the cost of better/different tires.

The rectifier supplied by Lampizator is excellent. In fact, the entire factory tube set is excellent. It’s highly unlikely based on my Baltic 3 tube rolling experience that the supplied rectifier will be bettered by an inexpensive (or moderately expensive) alternative.
Be interesting to see out there in UK which places/retailers members go to for their tube requirements.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Be interesting to see out there in UK which places/retailers members go to for their tube requirements.
Langrex is a good source. I have purchased from them several times over recent years.

168 Pages of Lampizator Tube Rolling discussion here:

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021

Yes. SO. Much. Fun!!

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Hi Everyone - I went for the Lampizator in the end. Black faceplate with red metallic top Cover. Delivery sometime just before Christmas. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for all the your comments.
Congrats. I think my GG3 is in the queue ahead of you so we will wait together. --Jerry

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
  • Haha

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
If you want an easy improvement without a huge expense, order a set of the Sophia Electric EL34 tubes. At least in my system, they are considerably better than any of the new production KT88s available.
@Undecided_Dave
The Sophia’s that @msimanyi mentions are a great suggestion but they are almost vaporware. I’ve tried to purchase quads on two separate occasions within the past 4 months only to find they are unavailable. Forget about finding a solid quad of F2A’s- you’ll have to piece a quad together from used pairs or singles and prices are ridiculous.

My dac arrived with a Sophia Aqua 274B and I while I enjoyed it I’ve switched to older rectifiers. The KT88 power tubes provided were a mess and were quickly changed out for a quad of 6L6G’s. I’ve since changed to a new matched quad of Sovtek 6L6WXT+ and enjoy them the most so far. These are not expensive tubes to purchase- matched quad’s can be had for less than $200 USD.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new TRP3!

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Hi All,

From what I have tried in Lampi, you might want to consider something like Linlai 274B-D Titanium or Svetlana 5U4G black plate, both very good but still cheap options. A bit more expensive will be Psvane - either WE274B replica or ACME 274B. The last two are in the same price range as Sophia Aqua.
This is based on what I have tried in my own setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing