Let´s not forget Jonathan Horwich of International Phonograph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Oh, thank you! :eek:

Ooh! What modification are you making?

You are so predictable :D. I wrote just to see if you ask...hehehe.
No mod my dear Ron. Just sent it in for a check up.

Tang:p

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You are a tease! :p

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Playing Jonathan’s newest release right now in fact, and it’s sounding great!

Greg Ward Trio - At Pro Musica
International Phonograph 15 ips 2-track reel tape

BD3914BC-ECF6-4E8F-9EA8-1408BE7373B6.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Skylab,

Do you also have Albert Daley and Stan Getz? I wonder how it is.

Kind regards,
Tang

jdcolombo

Oct 29, 2017
I just listened to both tapes. Both are terrific, but I'd rank Daley/Getz a hair above the Ward Trio. Part of it is that the jazz is more mainstream, so more within my wheelhouse (although the Ward Trio isn't that avant-garde), but on the cuts where Getz is playing, it's like having him standing about 8' away from me. The naturalness of the tenor sax sound is simply uncanny. And Daley's piano solos are sublime. I go to a lot of small-ensemble jazz performances, and when I put this tape on, it was like I'm sitting in the first row of the Blue Note listening to these guys. Pour myself a beer, and just sit back and listen . . .

John C.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I just listened to both tapes. Both are terrific, but I'd rank Daley/Getz a hair above the Ward Trio. Part of it is that the jazz is more mainstream, so more within my wheelhouse (although the Ward Trio isn't that avant-garde), but on the cuts where Getz is playing, it's like having him standing about 8' away from me. The naturalness of the tenor sax sound is simply uncanny. And Daley's piano solos are sublime. I go to a lot of small-ensemble jazz performances, and when I put this tape on, it was like I'm sitting in the first row of the Blue Note listening to these guys. Pour myself a beer, and just sit back and listen . . .

John C.

Thank you John C. I think we share some common musical preferences. I read what you recommended and commented in another thread and very much agree with all tapes you recommended except for one jazz tape with amplified guitar that Jonathan recommended me. Not the problem with sonic but I just don’t like amplified instruments. IPI jazz tapes are very very they are here in the room. The only IPI tape that transport me to the venue is the Obe And Orchestra. While all Edward Pong’s tape are all “you are there.”

Kind regards,
Tang

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Dear Skylab,

Do you also have Albert Daley and Stan Getz? I wonder how it is.

Kind regards,
Tang

Yes, I did just finish listening to this one, also terrific!!

John C.

I agree with this totally.

Both tapes are unbelievably realistic sounding saxophone recordings.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jonathan Horwich very kindly sent me a four minute sample of his new Joe Policastro Trio featuring Mark Feldman recording (October 12, 2022).

Listening at 95dB to 100dB I think this recording achieves a stunning level of suspension of disbelief. I don't know why I get such a kick out of this test, but I left the listening room with the tape playing just to hear how it sounds from the hallway. It sounded like Ronnie Scotts from the hallway to me (minus the shrill PA amplification).

The bass guitar, especially, sounds amazing!

Congratulations, Jonathan, on a fantastic recording achievement!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Ron, thank you so much or your kind words. So hard to capture acoustic bass properly. I tried to get the impact of the bass while retaining the air around it. Hope I got close.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Hmmmm... but that is not a new recording. I thought I missed something.

It just so happened that last night I played the Joe Policastro Jaru and I was totally blown away... those horns sounded incredible on my horn speakers.

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Hmmmm... but that is not a new recording. I thought I missed something.

It just so happened that last night I played the Joe Policastro Jaru and I was totally blown away... those horns sounded incredible on my horn speakers.
The excerpt/sample Ron played was from Joe Policastro Trio with Mark Feldman on violin recorded in Oct 2022. Thank you for your kind words on Jeru.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I am quite sure I have that tape - or am I confused?

Here is the line from my inventory listing:

Joe Policastro Trio featuring Mark Feldman D

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am listening for the first time to Joe Policastro -- Vibes Quartet.

The recording quality is the best I have ever heard in my life!

Thank you, Jonathan!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
just got 3 new titles from Jonathan y-day and the first is on now:
Mike Garson: Monk fell on me ..... solo piano...J just told me it was a 9feet Yamaha concert grand
very nice and balanced rich of harmonics sound, that I very much love
highly recommended
btw J won´t do this forever, so it might be a smart move to order his titles while you can IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Afveep and astrotoy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing