Light Harmonic Sire DAC

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

Announced today at 5pm was Light Harmonic's new DAC with an eye-popping price of $120,000. Add $10,000 to include the server option.
Why is the company's Steve Holt standing there with his arms open? They don't have the product yet, so we'll have to guess if it'll look as out-there as the company's Da Vinci DAC. Holt did say they'll have a prototype at the Munich Show in May.

The company's promo sheet states: "Even Da Vinci must kneel before his sire." Other details include: 2 femto clocks, 7 sets of digital inputs, "Ultra-high speed" DAC that will handle both 32/768 PCM and DSD 256, "Digital+Analog" hybrid volume control and 5 year unlimited upgrading at no additional cost to future-proof your purchase.

They'll also throw in a Lightspeed USB cable and plan to make only 24 per year.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
expensive does NOT equal "best"

These prices are becoming a joke now.

We may just - once and for all - find out, that more expensive may not be "best".
As much as I like the title "whatsbestforum" as it unashamedly takes the hidden aim into the open, it obviously attracts "fortune hunters"...

I know - in my field we decelop thousands of projects which are high or highest quality, and we cannot dream of refinancing it with one concert. It's called art ;-)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Announced today at 5pm was Light Harmonic's new DAC with an eye-popping price of $120,000. Add $10,000 to include the server option.
Why is the company's Steve Holt standing there with his arms open? They don't have the product yet, so we'll have to guess if it'll look as out-there as the company's Da Vinci DAC. Holt did say they'll have a prototype at the Munich Show in May.

The company's promo sheet states: "Even Da Vinci must kneel before his sire." Other details include: 2 femto clocks, 7 sets of digital inputs, "Ultra-high speed" DAC that will handle both 32/768 PCM and DSD 256, "Digital+Analog" hybrid volume control and 5 year unlimited upgrading at no additional cost to future-proof your purchase.

They'll also throw in a Lightspeed USB cable and plan to make only 24 per year.

IMHO this is a finance and marketing matter, not high-end any more. They are promoting a non existent product, with promises of 5 year unlimited upgrading. This type of company is only hurting the serious companies who supply really existing expensive goods with SOTA performance. This is not a fact for WBF, it is good for WBSF - what the best speculators forum!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Mind you this is a product category that innovates so fast, that the life cycle of technology is a few years. Committed audiophiles like myself know this and take big depreciation hits to enjoy sota gear and being a few years ahead of the curve. However, there is a limit to this insanity. This is like announcing a 20,000 laptop. I suspect they actually cater to the Asian and Russian nouveau riche, and assorted ultra rich domestic snobs.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
IMHO this is a finance and marketing matter, not high-end any more. They are promoting a non existent product, with promises of 5 year unlimited upgrading. This type of company is only hurting the serious companies who supply really existing expensive goods with SOTA performance. This is not a fact for WBF, it is good for WBSF - what the best speculators forum!

Micro, agree completely. Publicity stunt and carnival barking. :eek:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Micro,

I don't really know what's going on. This is the first I've heard of this new planned DAC. I'm just wondering how any vapor could hurt "serious" companies. Would you mind clarifying that statement?

1 year gone and the Da Vinci server hasn't gone into production yet. I don't see Aurender et al hurting. If anything it's LH that missed opportunities.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Micro,

I don't really know what's going on. This is the first I've heard of this new planned DAC. I'm just wondering how any vapor could hurt "serious" companies. Would you mind clarifying that statement?

1 year gone and the Da Vinci server hasn't gone into production yet. I don't see Aurender et al hurting. If anything it's LH that missed opportunities.

I think what he means is that it sort of makes a mockery of the industry, that is already in short supply of credibility.

It is a publicity stunt, and not very original.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I think what he means is that it sort of makes a mockery of the industry, that is already in short supply of credibility.

It is a publicity stunt, and not very original.

He looks the part of a comic though - in fact, I though Penn Jillette had diversified into high end audio.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Is it the price or the fact that it has yet to be built and released?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

It looks very much like they arbitrarily picked a price out of their back pockets ( I am trying to be polite, lol) and decided
to write up a clever press release, then figure out the details later. This is not a "serious" approach, as micro complained.
Designing to a price point is the ultimate cynical move.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Both. He won't really know his costs until it is actually produced. His statement that "only 24 will be produced" really makes it more a collectable than a true high end product, and that he arbitrarily set his price ridiculously high to raise the bar, not to have an honest profit after realizing actual costs of manufacture and R&D.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How about some benefit of the doubt. Like I said, I may represent them but I'm not privy to what's going on in their office. I don't see where in JI's report that it can be inferred that the thing hasn't been designed yet. Might we be just a little bit hasty with the assumptions here?

Admit it, it's the price. LOL.

Yeah, I fell off my chair too and I have a turntable and speakers that costs more. LOL.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing