Looking for a more organic dac

opm

Aug 8, 2021
Busque un preamplificador Audio Research REF 40 (aniversario) usado. Una gran combinación con su DAC y amplificador y brindará todo lo que busca: más calidez, densidad, espacio, pero manteniendo el detalle, la energía y el detalle del Bartok. Por cierto, en mi humilde opinión, el REF40 suena más bello que el REF10.
Thanks for your recommendation, it is the other option that I am considering, a Ref5SE or a Ref6. The problem is that there is no money for everything.

You have an incredible stereo!

Last edited:

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
organic is a Lampi dac and levels of organic can be achieved by rolling tubes for both output and recti. I don’t think any dac can exceed a dedicated preamp. I know I’ll get bashed but basically a preamp needs to gel with Your chosen amp. So a combo wins. I would loan a preamp and Lampi dac to start hearing possibilities. at one time I too had a combo dac / preamp and streamer. While it worked fine separates are better. I think streamers / servers too need to be an item of there own in one box to feed any dac you pic.
good luck please post how it goes

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hello, I am new to this forum and English is not my mother tongue, so please excuse me if I do not express myself clearly enough.

I currently have a Bartok dCS. I am very happy with this Steramer / dac because it is amazing but lately my tastes are "mutating" towards a warmer, denser and more relaxed presentation.

As I do not like to buy blinds without listening to my system, I am thinking of auditioning Lampizator, MSB or Totaldac, since the distributors of these brands offer auditions with a return option in my country.

At the moment I have contacted Lampizator and the dealer offers me the option to try a Baltic 3 but I cannot test it because I do not have a preamplifier. Since I need a dac with variable output, it offers me an Amber 3. I know this model is not top-end from Lampizator and is well below the Bartok. The question I have is whether the Amber 3 will be enough to show the Lampizator character in front of the Bartok.

I would like to read the opinions of the users of Lampizator, MSB or Totaldac about the differences between them.

Hi,
You seem to be using the terms "warm" and "organic" interchangeably. I am not sure they are the same, as the term "warm" , to some people means a more bottom-up sound (see stereophile audiophile dictionary)... with that said, I agree that your dCS is not organic, but one the sterile / dull/ uninvolving side. MSB will be in the middle: it has all the detail and audiophile vocabulary that run-of-the-mill audiophiles love, but also, a nice musical sonic signature. That is why it is so popular with the Magico guys, as it takes much of the sterility out of the presentation and makes their speakers more involving.

I personally find MSB boring because MSB is lacks the emotional magic of a TotalDAC or Lampizator. Another great one, if you want emotional connection to the music vs. the mechanical rendering of the audiophile vocabulary, is the new Jadis DAC. Supposed to be a killer.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
dCS and Lampi are on opposite sides of the spectrum, MSB and Totaldac more in the middle. I’m not sure where you are located, but auditions would be helpful.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Another great one, if you want emotional connection to the music vs. the mechanical rendering of the audiophile vocabulary, is the new Jadis DAC. Supposed to be a killer.
Interesting on that score C-as Jadis DACs are/were 1-bit(Jerry Ozment design) if they've stayed with that --wonder if it competes with the Plethora of Multi Bit in the market place as you state ;)! I do agree with your premise re their connection with the music--I've owned two of the JS1 and 2 versions.

BruceD

b345t

May 10, 2020
I purchased a Holo Audio May around 2 months ago and have been absolutely blown away with how organic and detailed it sounds, while adding an ever-so-small touch of 'warmth' my system needed. I'm not sure you will find it for a home audition but if you do, please do not disregard it. It is an r2r design and the level of realism, especially on stringed instruments and guitars is something that needs to be heard. My soundstage both increased dramatically in width and depth. Holographic images across the stage. I was coming from a chord tt2, the difference was beyond night and day.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hello opm,

One of my colleagues used Dcs Bartok for some time as a review sample, he also recently used T+A 3100HV for review. Very different DAC's, the T+A was certainly close to what you are asking about, clean and prescise, but organic! He is not a digital type so this is rare for him, he owns original Melco 3560 with FR66s / Kondo carts, Kondo pre. He bought the T+A. If you have a dealer near you, you should try this too, as well as Lampi..
Best rgds,
Paul

Reactions: KostasP.

opm

Aug 8, 2021
dCS no es orgánico, sino uno el lado estéril / aburrido / no involucrado
I think we are getting drunk with the vocabulary ... dCS can be many things but not boring, it is the most exciting dac I have ever heard. Nor would I call it sterile. Previously had a Chord TT2 and the Bartok had a lot more meat on the bones, is fuller and sounds more natural.

Reactions: Katzky and Al M.

opm

Aug 8, 2021
I purchased a Holo Audio May around 2 months ago and have been absolutely blown away with how organic and detailed it sounds, while adding an ever-so-small touch of 'warmth' my system needed. I'm not sure you will find it for a home audition but if you do, please do not disregard it. It is an r2r design and the level of realism, especially on stringed instruments and guitars is something that needs to be heard. My soundstage both increased dramatically in width and depth. Holographic images across the stage. I was coming from a chord tt2, the difference was beyond night and day.
Holo It has very good impressions but I find it difficult to buy a dac without listening, especially having a dCS. It could be a misstep.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Having owned both Amber 3 and now Baltic 3 I would say that the A3 will absolutely give you an idea about the Lampi sound, it's a fun and engaging entry level DAC (of the Lampi brand) and I think you will appreciate it's organic qualities, but with that said... B3 is on a completely different level out of the box and it will also take you so much further once you start rolling some tubes from the ones that are supplied with the DAC.

opm

Aug 8, 2021
Hello opm,

One of my colleagues used Dcs Bartok for some time as a review sample, he also recently used T+A 3100HV for review. Very different DAC's, the T+A was certainly close to what you are asking about, clean and prescise, but organic! He is not a digital type so this is rare for him, he owns original Melco 3560 with FR66s / Kondo carts, Kondo pre. He bought the T+A. If you have a dealer near you, you should try this too, as well as Lampi..
Best rgds,
Paul
Hello Paul, interesting appreciation. I am lucky that the MSB distributor is also from T + A.

When I had the Chord TT2 I tried it with the MScaler and I didn't like it. I'm not sure but I think upsampling is not for me and it could be one of the things I have left over from the Bartok. Does the T + A scale everything to DSD512?

opm

Aug 8, 2021
Having owned both Amber 3 and now Baltic 3 I would say that the A3 will absolutely give you an idea about the Lampi sound, it's a fun and engaging entry level DAC (of the Lampi brand) and I think you will appreciate it's organic qualities, but with that said... B3 is on a completely different level out of the box and it will also take you so much further once you start rolling some tubes from the ones that are supplied with the DAC.
That is what I wanted to hear, if by listening to the Amber 3 I can get an idea of the differences in topologies between these two brands, taking into account that it is the entry level.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
You don’t say if tubes are an option….
two dac that I’ve heard and strongly recommend are:

Aries Cerat - Helena (have heard this)
IPL - DSD-MR MK2 ( has tubes - have not heard this)
IPL - DSD-SR MK2 ( no tubes - I’ve heard this)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think we are getting drunk with the vocabulary ... dCS can be many things but not boring, it is the most exciting dac I have ever heard. Nor would I call it sterile. Previously had a Chord TT2 and the Bartok had a lot more meat on the bones, is fuller and sounds more natural.

Yeah, I don't get where Caesar gets his stereotypes from.

delphi17

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2021
You should also give Mola Mola Tambaqui a try.
Definitely a more natural , organic sound compare to the Bartok.
I auditioned both , and felt the Tambaqui was more organic and slightly more analogue sounding.
Both Dac were great, DCS definitely not sterile or boring , it was just a bit too analytical for my liking .

Reactions: Zappadaddy

delphi17

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2021
I think tube warmth is good, as it does give harmonic distortion and a meatier sound but sometimes when we think we want more warmth, in fact we probably just want more resolution.
I had a tube pre before, I have since moved to a transformer passive to pair with the Tambaqui.

Mola mola tambaqui upsamples everything to PWM and creates that “warmth” without losing resolution.
Definitely worth an audition .

Reactions: Zappadaddy

opm

Aug 8, 2021
I appreciate your recommendation, it is interesting. the only problem is that Tambaqui uses Roon and I don't like the sound of Roon. I would have to add a streamer.

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
I previously had preferred some alternatives to Roon, with my thoughts being Roon sounded a bit soft and rounded in presentation compared to alternatives like Squeeze and Minimserver through Lumin App using Lumin X1. With addition of Makua with DAC (Tambaqui), that opinion has changed. I did experiment with a couple different ethernet cables and connection locations, settling on feeding the Antipodes K50 with a Audio Sensibility Signature Ethernet cable ( using OCC silver twisted cables) to K50 from a switch and then using same type cable out from K50 Direct Stream ethernet port to the Roon Ready ethernet port of the Mola Mola DAC. The results have been very, very good--excellent imaging, great tone, and smooth yet detailed presentation. I also configured one of the other Makua preset locations for USB input to the DAC from the K50. I can use then Roon Player from the K50, Squeeze and other Antipodes enabled player options. Choice of USB cable has ( Triode Wire Labs and Wireworld Platinum Starlight) presented differently with WW more detailed. For now, I am primarily listening using the Roon Ready ethernet port on the Mola Mola DAC.

The Mola Mola DAC is special, and I too would recommend an audition. I am also an owner and fan of the Lumin X1 and prefer music presentation using the Lumin App over Roon for more sit down critical listening. I do prefer Roon for its mature and easy to operate landscape. I have not been using the various filters or conversion/upscaling options with Roon. The Lumin X1 is a great piece as well, but does require considerable initial break-in, say 200-400 hours. The LEEDH Processing option Lumin offers (no charge) is excellent. You also have option of fiber optic or RJ45 ethernet connection to the Lumin X1.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I appreciate your recommendation, it is interesting. the only problem is that Tambaqui uses Roon and I don't like the sound of Roon. I would have to add a streamer.
I have only heard the Bartok in a dealer demo with high end valve amplification and Wilson Sasha speakers but on CD/SACD and downloaded files it sounded very good, particularly at its price point.
I don't stream but my Scarlatti Transport, DAC and Clock give me a a real analogue quality of sound. If you are planning to listen a lot to streaming I appreciate you might need to partner a Scarlatti DAC with a DCS Bridge.Both are readily available used at around the price of a Bartok and servicing support for both is still available from DCS

delphi17

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2021

You can also use Roon with HQ Player.
The integration is very good.
And there's a lot of filters to tailor the sound to what you like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing