Looking for a new CD-player, Aesthetix, Esoteric, Lux or….

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Here is an explanation of the numbers
Hey soundman, curious if you were involved in establishing the evaluation criteria or participated in the Audiodrom evaluations you are sharing ?

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022

soundman

Nov 2, 2023
Madison, Wisconsin
Please try and listen and buy the sound you prefer, not go blindly from specification and other reviewers opinions.
Of course; at this level of pricing no blind buying but reviews and measurements do have their place in putting together a short list; no substitute for in-person auditions; the great audio writers of the past had the gift to describe in words the sound of a component and they were almost always right.

Reactions: Hasse

DLS

Jan 12, 2013
New York
I’ve been looking at Aesthetix Romulus (Sign) which according to some rewievers should have a more analogue sound. Downside; no SACD capability.
I’m also interested in the new Esoteric K-05XD and the Luxman D-07X. Are the two latter more analytical and cold sounding, what are your thoughts?
Rest of the system: Bryston BDP-3 streamer, Gryphon Diablo 300 and Magnepan 3.7’s.
Your input would be much appreciated.
I replaced my EmmLabs XDS1v2 with Luxman D-07X in June. Compared to the XDS1, the D-07x is NOT more analytical or cold sounding. Rather, while retaining the ability to illuminate everything in a recording, it somehow conveys a sense of warmth lacking in the XDS1. I think it is very good on redbook and streaming (not SOTA but very very fine), exceptional on SACD. It also includes MQA decoding though I've not used it. Bottom line: at $10K, highly recommended.

Reactions: GSOphile and Hasse

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
Can't forget the T+A PDT3100 HV. Outstanding build quality and one of the few that still builds their own drives. CD/SACD. They also have a couple of lower priced models.
T+A website link

****Dealer****

also, I have heard that Ayon has some great transports. I can't confirm that but thought I would mention it.

DDgtt

May 1, 2023
The best one-box CD player I have ever heard is the Audionet Planck. I've heard it outperform a number of very expensive DACs. It's really good!

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
The Aesthetix can be upgraded to Eclipse level at any time and you don’t have to be the original owner to do it. But Nemal1 has the right idea - pick the sound you like

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Always surprised Luxman is not mentioned often. Great company, stellar sound and impeccable quality / reputation. There new top CDP SACD is the X10. Msrp $16K I believe. Not sure what this indicates but, unlike other manufacturers, Lux seems to update / release new products every five years or so.

FYI. Likely selling my D06u CDP along with the rest of my system. Major downsizing for near future move. PM if interested.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing