Looking For The Perfect Listening Chair

I like listening to both stereo and multichannel music. That chair above looks really cozy and comfy. Would its high back interfere with my ear's positioning?

The only chairs I have found with high backs that I'd even remotely consider for critical listening have incredibly absorbent foam and covering (ie. very soft recliner covered in suede). But even then I just don't like them because they do interfere with imaging (my obsession). And that often extremely small but critical reflection of sound coming to your ears from the sides and behind in the listening room (assuming 2 channel stereo of course) is also greatly absorbed. I save high back chairs for listening using my IE800 Sennheisers where the chair has no sonic influence whatsoever but the shear comfort enhances the mode and thus my enjoyment.

For serious speaker listening I can't see any reason not to follow the same rules used for seating in the very best classical concert halls. And of course these are all (to my knowledge) medium backed with the head above the tops of them. They do not design them like that just to help the view of the people behind you!

Tom, yes, Lifeform makes a footrest.

I hear 'ya, Mike.

I personally could not sit still for ten hours if you put me in a bath tub full of marshmallows and you paid me by the hour. I am looking for the most comfortable two hour chair I can find.

I found the zero gravity chair to be not comfortable sitting up as I would be when listening to music. I found it extremely comfortable when I was reclined and looking almost at the ceiling. But by the angle at which I found it comfortable my ears would no longer be pointed at the speakers.

I'm somewhere in between. I try to listen Friday nights from 7PM - midnight = 5 hours. But - I never stay in the chair throughout, getting up to get a drink or three, conversing with the kids and wife, etc..

The zero gravity was on my short list but between the head rest, high cost and primary function being to lay back far enough to remove lower back weight, it wasn't for me. I've sat on a few and they are very nice though. I do like that Lifeform chair. If the HM Embody doesn't pan out it may be on the short list. Will find out soon enough, T minus for music - 3 hours!

Last edited:
Fiddle Faddle said:
The only chairs I have found with high backs that I'd even remotely consider for critical listening have incredibly absorbent foam and covering (ie. very soft recliner covered in suede). But even then I just don't like them because they do interfere with imaging (my obsession). And that often extremely small but critical reflection of sound coming to your ears from the sides and behind in the listening room (assuming 2 channel stereo of course) is also greatly absorbed. I save high back chairs for listening using my IE800 Sennheisers where the chair has no sonic influence whatsoever but the shear comfort enhances the mode and thus my enjoyment.

For serious speaker listening I can't see any reason not to follow the same rules used for seating in the very best classical concert halls. And of course these are all (to my knowledge) medium backed with the head above the tops of them. They do not design them like that just to help the view of the people behind you!

That's what I thought: For serious music listening, you want your ears free from any near surfaces...be it absorbing or reflective.
A true audiophile spent years and years perfecting his hi-fi sound system, with large financial investments...room treatments, audio gear, loudspeakers, elevated cables, power cords, mechanical isolation, etc., all to end up with the ultimate listening chair with a high back?! Lol no no no, you want nothing near your ears...only the music floating all around ... IMHO

kessler_listening+room.jpg

18ml4r6mkod4ujpg.jpg

petrie-chair.jpg

I recently got an Ekornes Consul model medium size. I'm about 6'1"@225 pounds, and it seems a perfect fit. It isn't as bolstered at the top as some of the models, and at my height, I can't see how it would significantly harm the sound field. The bolster also moves forward for neck support as the chair is moved back into flatness. My ears are about level at the top, but away from it when sitting and the lumbar support is excellent.

There were a few other Ekornes Stressless models that were higher priced, but they were in large size with wider backs and tops, and were actually less comfortable in the laying down position.

The nice thing about this chair is I can just push it back to sleep on it, and you can lay on either side as well as flat on your back and it is very comfy for sleep. The handles go flush to give it some extra width when laid flat back.

Mine in good used condition and green with Paloma leather and ottoman was about $425 out the door. The chair is also light to carry around and fit in my small Nissan Juke for transport.

I got this one for Santa Cruz, but might get another for Pleasanton.

Pic is a file photo, not the one I got, which is green but otherwise identical in appearance.00j0j_doJm9SqXCcM_1200x900.jpg

Last night I compared the HT 3 seats with high headrests vs. the Herman Miller Embody and I have mixed feelings. With the HM there's definitely more air and "presence" (low back, no headrest) and slightly more dynamics to my ears, the bass is significantly worse. I expected more bass since HT seats / couches can act as bass absorbers but the difference is quite profound. While dialing back the JL Audio F112 helped a bit it's just plain bloated. And while I know I can tweak the bass and seat position my gut tells me I may end up selling the Embody and may end up buying a single low back comfy chair, we'll see.

Last edited:
Ekornes has a low back Stressless model called the Pause:

image.jpg

It can be ordered as a single seat.

Yes - now I cannot figure out if I like best the low-back Ekornes Pause, the high-back (but still lower than ear level) Ekornes Reno (small) or the Lifeform chair.

I use an ergohuman nefil chair .. adjustable in a million ways , acoustically transparent mesh material (including neckrest) , flip out tablet/laptop holder , flip out footrest , extremely comfortable. My ears are well above the neckrest.. which is removable .. makes no difference with or without it

http://www.ergohuman.net/officechairs/nefil/

I went thru around 7-8 chairs before this one.

Mine is black and doesnt come with the gal as standard :)

nefil-office-chair-with-leg-rest-lg.jpg

66883_518978351616104_8525987068764660019_n.jpg

Stressless for me (and my lovely wife). Adjustable headrest—but as a tall guy I'd have to pull it way up to be at ear level. Wife isn't critical about SQ, comfort is more important, and she frequently nods off anyway.

IMG_2190.JPG

Steve, in 1967 I bought a Stressless chair for $120. It still exists in our daughter's study but is rather worn. It was absolutely perfect for listening. I do now have a new Stressless much more expensive ($2000) chair in the large version. It doesn't have the cupping sides above and being long waisted my ears are above the back when I sit quite upright in it, but when I'm tire I often fall asleep in it. I must say that I still prefer the original Stressless, however. I must also say that I looked at many immigrations of the new Stressless, and agree that they are junk and that the tightening knobs even tightened don't hold.

Listening Sofas - Some Basic Info

Listening Sofa Choices.png

Ron - noted your interest in the Stressless Pause Two Seater..and given I've walked a similar line of consideration...thought you might find the attached image/spreadsheet extract of use

My "objective" function was to minimise footprint (~width x depth) and get seat height to around 20"....which puts my ears in line of the Indra's tweeters...

With one exception - the Stressless Lux High - all back rest heights were low....that is well clear of "earspace"

Suffice I've ordered a Stressless Two Seat Wave Low back with the 14cm legs...

Thank you for posting, BMCG.

The Reno small allows my ears to be a couple of inches above the back of the chair. The low-back Pause allows my ears to be well above the back of the chair.

How far above the back of the chair do you like your ears to be?

OK, it was funny when someone showed the Fortress seating chairs that could hold an IV, but here are some of their chairs good for music listening.

http://www.fortresseating.com/chair-models/

They are very solid pieces of furniture and have them in different sizes as well as custom fitted for the listener.

OK, it was funny when someone showed the Fortress seating chairs that could hold an IV, but here are some of their chairs good for music listening.

http://www.fortresseating.com/chair-models/

They are very solid pieces of furniture and have them in different sizes as well as custom fitted for the listener.

I'll take the Alexa, modified guild arm - beautiful! Thanks Gary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing