Looking to buy a new turntable / any suggestions (12k budget incl. Tonarm and Cartridge)

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Hello alltogether,

I am new to the forum and looking forward to exchanging. I already found a lot of good information here.

Wanted to reach out as I am currently in the market for a new turntable and wanted to see if someone would have any suggestions for me. Currently I own a Clearaudio Concept MC turntable with Nagra VPS phono stage. For the upgrade I was looking at models such as Clearaudio Ovation / Basic Innovation , Dr Feickart's with Kuzma arm or Acoustic Solid and Acoustic Signature models but I am definitely open for alternatives as well. Any suggestions would be helpful, especially in tonearm and cartridge choice. Clearaudio would be easiest as I can just choose everything they suggest in house for their models but not sure if I am getting the best for the budget and whether it pairs well with my setup even though I am very satisfied with my current Concept model.
Some requirements:
- 12k budget (arm and cartridge included)
- Needs to pair well with my Nagra VPS
- Easy to use, not too fiddly
- Should be well rounded as i am not genre specific listener. For the majority, I spend my time listening to Country, Jazz, Folk, Rock and Classic but occasionally Techno, Rap and other genres as well.
- At least 1/3 and 45rpm speed selector

Thanks,
J

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Clearaudio is running bundle promotions in honor of their 45th anniversary through 12/31/2023. They’re giving away cartridges in many of the bundles.

Some dealers, like Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor, Michigan, will take your existing gear in trade, further lowering your cash outlay. Perhaps there are similar dealers closer to your home in Zurich.

Clearaudio is a real company, with real engineers, and great quality control. I think they would be my choice in your price range.

You might also consider used options if you have skills to do your own evaluation and set up. I just picked up this rig (Clearaudio Master Reference w/ Universal 12” tonearm) used and added a new cartridge that retails for $2200. My total expenditure was way under your budget, but it did take a lot of work to sort it out.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: JeromeFrancis

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Another potential option I would say is look into the new THorens 124DD. Pair it with a phasemation.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Clearaudio is running bundle promotions in honor of their 45th anniversary through 12/31/2023. They’re giving away cartridges in many of the bundles.

Some dealers, like Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor, Michigan, will take your existing gear in trade, further lowering your cash outlay. Perhaps there are similar dealers closer to your home in Zurich.

Clearaudio is a real company, with real engineers, and great quality control. I think they would be my choice in your price range.

You might also consider used options if you have skills to do your own evaluation and set up. I just picked up this rig (Clearaudio Master Reference w/ Universal 12” tonearm) used and added a new cartridge that retails for $2200. My total expenditure was way under your budget, but it did take a lot of work to sort it out.
Thank you for sharing your insights. Indeed have never heard a/t negative about Clearaudio. Your Master Reference looks very nice. May be a little bit too sophisticated for my needs.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Another potential option I would say is look into the new THorens 124DD. Pair it with a phasemation.
Thank you for the reply. I will be having a look at it. I like the Vintage design. Phasemation, you mean as a cartridge right? Do you have experience with a particular phasemation cartridge and the Thorens?

Last edited:
Reactions: joey_v

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
If it's not necessarily new, here are two nice offers in Germany. I would sit in the car drive for 5-7 hours and listen to them before I buy them. Take your Nagra phono with you so that you can at least determine whether they work well together. My personal favorite would be Simon Yorke its a lovely machine with shelter cartridge. It's at a dealer in Aachen who has quite a selection of turntables.

The other record player is a private offer. a complete package with lots of accessories. I would say its a bargain. Brinkmann lagrange/tonearm and cartridge.

Both in your price limit good luck

Reactions: mtemur and Argonaut

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
If it's not necessarily new, here are two nice offers in Germany. I would sit in the car drive for 5-7 hours and listen to them before I buy them. Take your Nagra phono with you so that you can at least determine whether they work well together. My personal favorite would be Simon Yorke its a lovely machine with shelter cartridge. It's at a dealer in Aachen who has quite a selection of turntables.

The other record player is a private offer. a complete package with lots of accessories. I would say its a bargain. Brinkmann lagrange/tonearm and cartridge.

Both in your price limit good luck
Thank you for the suggestions. I am not in a hurry, so will take some time investigating, it's a project for next year. I might even wait another bonus season and look for a DeBaer as I have a fable for clean Swiss precision instruments. Never heard about Simon Yorke but looks interesting. Brinkmann I have heard only good things about and it seems to pair well with Nagra, it's clearly an option. There is a dealer in Zurich who recently had a Bardo on sale.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I have heard a Rega Planar 10 outperform a Thorens 124 DD. The Thorens is not a very good direct drive design.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I have heard a Rega Planar 10 outperform a Thorens 124 DD. The Thorens is not a very good direct drive design.
Planar 10 limits vta adjustment etc.
Thorens has the vintage feel and appearance with DD motor.
The build of the anniversary edition is special, the platter is a combination metal.

tom539

Dec 28, 2021
For the budget, I would recommend a StSt Motus DQ II with Sorane SA-1.2 tonearm and Allnic Rose cartridge in the HS-1A headshell.
IMG_2248.jpeg
IMG_2249.jpeg
This combination has been running here for almost a year and I am very satisfied.

Alternatively, a Dynavector DRT XV-1s fits the SA-1.2.

Good luck with your search

atb, Tom

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Thank you for the reply. I will be having a look at it. I like the Vintage design. Phasemation, you mean as a cartridge right? Do you have experience with a particular phasemation cartridge and the Theorens?
I would look at the phasemation. PP2000 or lower models. Boron canti, samarian magnets...

Other potential option is Lyra or Airtight. I have those two.

But if I had a third turntable, I would likely purchase the DD124 anniversary while theyre still available, and a Phasemation PP2000.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
For the budget, I would recommend a StSt Motus DQ II with Sorane SA-1.2 tonearm and Allnic Rose cartridge in the HS-1A headshell.
View attachment 121398
View attachment 121399
This combination has been running here for almost a year and I am very satisfied.

atb, Tom
Thank you for sharing. Looking good indeed!

Reactions: tom539

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
View attachment 121398
View attachment 121399

atb, Tom

i agree with the table, STST is very high value, but I would start with FR 64s and SPU, and once some more funds become available buy the Dava cart and replace into the same headshell used for the SPU.

the TD124 with SME 3012r and basic Dava cart, no power supply was better than the continuum caliburn with the etsuro gold. And the TD124 on its own does not have as much resolution. The continuum is now sold

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
First your Nagra VPS is one hell of a phono stage (owned one for 10+ years). Do you have the VFS plates to go with it? What about the Nagra MPS power supply? If you don't, I might lessen the table budget and at least get the Nagra VFS.

I thought the turntable options above are all good, maybe add a Rega P10 to the list and spend a little extra on the cartridge.

Reactions: dandylinpsst

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
First your Nagra VPS is one hell of a phono stage (owned one for 10+ years). Do you have the VFS plates to go with it? What about the Nagra MPS power supply? If you don't, I might lessen the table budget and at least get the Nagra VFS.

I thought the turntable options above are all good, maybe add a Rega P10 to the list and spend a little extra on the cartridge.
Thanks for the input, appreciated. To answer your questions: IMG_0380.jpeg IMG_0381.jpeg To note: The MPS does not have the battery installed, may be that would be a sensible upgrade, not sure it is worth it though..

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for the input, appreciated. To answer your questions: View attachment 121405 View attachment 121406 To note: The MPS does not have the battery installed, may be that would be a sensible upgrade, not sure it is worth it though..

Looks great !! What tubes are in your VPS? Since only 3 tubes some great NOS might give this lil kick up. Re: the battery, not sure if it's worth the cost, it will lower noise which improves a few things, but the MPS is pretty great alone. Did you upgrade the fuse inside the VPS and on the MPS's AC inlet? Great tubes = $400 or so, Great fuses $75-100. I might get a Nagra VFS for your preamp too. (maybe upgrade tubes here too)

Another turntable is the AMG lineup...a table/arm in your budget, my Nagra dealer carries these, great also.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Looks great !! What tubes are in your VPS? Since only 3 tubes some great NOS might give this lil kick up. Re: the battery, not sure if it's worth the cost, it will lower noise which improves a few things, but the MPS is pretty great alone. Did you upgrade the fuse inside the VPS and on the MPS's AC inlet? Great tubes = $400 or so, Great fuses $75-100. I might get a Nagra VFS for your preamp too. (maybe upgrade tubes here too)

Another turntable is the AMG lineup...a table/arm in your budget, my Nagra dealer carries these, great also.
Good idea on the fuses, so far everything is with Nagra stock. What fuses would you recommend for those? In terms of tubes, I am a bit hesitant to tinker with that as I am not familiar at all yet. If so, i would let my dealer here in Zurich do it and maybe also speak to Matthieu from Nagra about it before when he is around at the dealer about what he thinks. I actually thought the Nagra tubes are already pretty decent as the tube replacement kid is priced similarly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing