Luxman L-509X integrated amp

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Why would you of all people, pair horns with SS instead of SET?? :eek::rolleyes:
Christoph, my favourite experience w horns, by a country mile, was Cessaro Liszts on Bakoon Class A 15W...solid state.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Additionally, and most critically, I've struggled w tube noise on two lots of tube amps, firstly Audion Quattro/Black Shadows, and now Nat Utopia/SE2SEs.

If I'm truly to go to horns 6-10dB more sensitive than my Zus, there will be no hiding place for noise.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc you should first try the pass clones Mani is using. Will cost 1k to get them made

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Actually Ked, I first need to differentially diagnose tube noise in my system. Which is hugely tricky since I run four lots of smaller tubes, and the quad of big 211s.

To add to issues, replacement 211s are hard to find, and my Nats don't self bias.

So, identifying source of, and eradicating noise, is my biggest and toughest issue. If I could sort silent Nats, I wouldn't be considering (at least on day one) a change to use w 107dB+ horns.

As things stand, I'm on my second replacement quad of 6n23p Voskhod Rockets, and hash returns each time after a couple of months' use.

Just ordered a quad Refkektor Silver Shields. My bog standard cheap and nasty current production Teslas are not noisy.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I'm not totally sure Mani's amps are for me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why would you of all people, pair horns with SS instead of SET?? :eek::rolleyes:

He once wanted to pair SETs with apogees, so now it's SS with horns :p

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Ked, there are many ways to get to meet your maker.

The best Apogee demo I've heard was Duettas on tubes at Justin.

The best horns I've heard were Liszts on Bakoon SS at Keith.

Don't shoot the messenger.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ooh, and don't forget I was the only vinylphile out there (2000 lps collected since I was knee high to a grasshopper) that found my cdp outperformed my tt.

I'm certainly a paradox (or did I mishear what someone shouted at me?).

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
NATs gone noisy recently, Marc?

My 211s were dead quiet on AN/e. Mind you they aren't 107DB.

Best get the horns then worry about an amp, I reckon. That AG amp I linked is good, though more than I would spend.

So if you do go AG, that is worth a thought.

What I would do is get the horns, join a UK forum, and hold an amp bake off. If the horns are good enough to attract 'coo' thoughts from UK audiophiles, you'll get loads to try for free.

The only trouble with that is that the amps that arrive to play with may not be that great. But until you try...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yes Justin. Graveyard silent. But far from dead.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing