Mac cameras for Skype, etc.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I've had some interest in providing online lessons via Skype. Since I have a Mac with Leopard 10.5.8 currently, I researched available camera/microphone units for Mac.

This one appears to have the best picture quality:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001AOK7KI

My situation, however, requires about a 40 foot distance from the camera to the computer, far greater than the 16 ft. limit on USB. We've had limited success with wireless internet in our home. I'm wondering if there are USB extensions that would allow this camera to work at that distance.

Will this work?

http://www.usbcable.com/index.html?item425.htm

Please help me solve this dilemma.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Lee, I don't have any direct experience with USB extenders. I know some people who use them for low-speed connections. But have not heard of high-speed application usage. For the description, it seems that the box you listed has the potential to work. But if I were you, I would save the money and put it toward a cheap laptop connected to that webcam directly (and accessing the Internet using wireless connection in the home). Not only will that be more of a sure thing, but will also give a box useful for other things. And give you full preview of how the system is working, With the USB extender, and assuming you are next to the camera, you would have no way of controlling the session and seeing what video everyone else will see.

Some laptops also have cameras built-in so that is another option.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Obviously a good overall solution, but we've had problems with wireless connection to the router at that distance in our home. Perhaps there are products now that would eliminate that concern! Maybe a cheap MacBook.....

Thanks for the time,

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, if you have wireless problems at that distance, then that box will have similar issues. And unlike wireless networking where you can change out the router and such, there are no solutions if that box does not work.

BTW, the simplest way to improve your range is to get a newer "n" type routers. They use multiple "smart" antennas and tend to increase your range. There are also after-market antennas you can try for either device. None of these are that expensive.

If you live close to other people, changing the frequency by 6 channels or so also helps a lot.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I just upgraded at Comcast to their separate modem and router. The router is located in the office, where we previously had transmission difficulties for wireless. The combo modem/router we had (which didn't work wireless anyway) is an "end of life" product and won't be serviceable much longer. It's possible that the new router may have better transmission quality, and I'll have to try it out to be sure. It's a NetGear Wireless-N 150 Router WNR1000v2. I'd assume that this is the latest 802.11N spec.

The wired Cat 5 extender wouldn't have the distance problems, but wouldn't allow me to monitor what the camera was seeing. I'm looking at rigging an Ethernet cable to the gym that can be plugged directly into our modem, allowing a computer in the gym for monitoring and to accommodate the camera's USB cable length. The modem is in an access panel upstairs and the house is pre-wired for Cat5. I'll just plug the gym's Ethernet outlet into the modem (single port-- Comcast) to use the computer for Skype lessons there. The only downside will be no internet in the office while we're filming.

I'll keep thinking about this, and see what else might be possible. Thanks for your thoughts! It's been a help.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing