Magico’s New Sound Room

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Is this the factory somewhere in Hayward or the East Bay? Probably pass by it within spitting distance traveling between tri valley and Santa Cruz. Hayward border is actually a mile or two over the hill where I live as the crow flies.

Looks like a nice candidate for an audiophile group field trip locally if they would grant the audience. Anybody know what their hosting rules are?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Is this the factory somewhere in Hayward or the East Bay? Probably pass by it within spitting distance traveling between tri valley and Santa Cruz. Hayward border is actually a mile or two over the hill where I live as the crow flies.

Looks like a nice candidate for an audiophile group field trip locally if they would grant the audience. Anybody know what their hosting rules are?
would assume that your local Magico Dealer knows the password and secret handshake.

commerce baby!!!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
A provable credit limit of a minimum of $60K or a donate-able kidney will do along with the Magico password.

Maybe dark ninja outfit and hanging out at the ramp to be smuggled in inside of an empty box.

I hear that is the way the Wilson spies do it.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018

I think it helps to be a present or potentially future Magico owner. If you're either you can set it up directly with Magico--unless something has changed in the past year or so.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Perhaps listening to the speakers is becoming a bigger part of the design process. I’m curious to know if they considered a smaller room for the smaller designs and a bigger room for the bigger designs.

Jeffrey T, Ron R, and Microstrip are all designing new rooms. I wonder which one will be finished first. My money is on California.

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
Unparallel walls. ceiling slopes up and away. Do not see this. This room of Magicos does not look right
for some reason. Maybe it takes a lot of treatment to make them sound good?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jeffrey T, Ron R, and Microstrip are all designing new rooms. I wonder which one will be finished first. My money is on California.

Not mine!

PS: I am not designing a new room. I made only some superficial consistency modifications to existing walls.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
We currently have the M9s "breaking in" at the Dallas RLR location. We installed them temporarily in our existing location to break them in. In a few months from now we are moving to a more convenient location, about 10 minutes from the DFW airport. Currently we are located in Gainesville, TX about an hour north of the DFW airport, but an easy drive up the Interstate.

We have two new Pilium ZEUS stereo amps on order that will arrive around the time we move into our new Dallas RLR location. The Zeus amplifiers will be the amplifiers that we will use to permanently driver our M9. Magico will be using four each Pilium Hercules mono amps to drive the M9s in the new Magico showroom.

For the moment we have a a pair of Pilium Poseidon medium size mono amps driving the top modules of the M9s. We have a Pilium Achilles stereo amp arriving next week to drive the bass modules. To break in the M9s we have been using another stereo amp to drive the bass modules.

The M9 systems are wired with VYDA cabling both in Texas and in Hayward.

EVEN with the M9s on wheels and temporary "break in amps" the M9s in a not overly treated room are TOP TIER contenders, imho. Actually like nothing that I have personally ever heard. This was right out of the crates on wheels with 0 hours.

Within a few weeks from now, once the Pilium Achilles arrives and we set the M9s down on their M-Pod footers we will be ready for visitors for those that would like to hear the M9s.

Contact myself or Chris Hesse (Dallas RLR owner) if you would like to come in for an M9 visit. Our contact information is on the Rhapsody.Audio site under the dedicated listening room pages https://rhapsody.audio/listening-room-dallas-fort-worth/

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, what source component will you have on the M9 system?
We currently have VYGER and Kondo Ginga TT's. For digital we have a Taiko Audio Extreme and Pilium Elektra DAC. We also will have a dual chassis Pilium Venus DAC by the time we open our new location.

Reactions: PeterA

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
One other mention is that I have had a pair of M9s on order for the Brooklyn Rhapsody location for some time now. Within 5 seconds of hearing the M9s in Dallas, right out of the crates and on wheels, I realized that the M9s need a larger space to present them properly than is available in the Brooklyn Rhapsody space, which 15 X 27 X 9'.

We decided that Rhapsody will present and market the M9s at our Dallas location.

My estimation is that the M9s need at least an 18' wide room to allow them to perform optimally.

It's not the bass. The bass can be EASILY controlled with the all analog MXO crossover. The M9s are so EXPANSIVE sounding that it would be a shame to set them in too small of a space. They could work of course because of the MXO, but after hearing them in our 20' X 30' X 12" Dallas space we decided THIS IS THE WAY that Rhapsody desires to demonstrate the M9s. Our new DFW location will be similar in size to our existing location.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The M9s are so EXPANSIVE sounding that it would be a shame to set them in too small of a space. They could work of course because of the MXO, but after hearing them in our 20' X 30' X 12" Dallas space we decided THIS IS THE WAY that Rhapsody desires to demonstrate the M9s. Our new DFW location will be similar in size to our existing location.

Given your apparent insights on construction of new Magico factory show room.

Will there be transposition of those ideas into the new RLR Dallas show room?
Clean slate based on your own experience and briefs?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The Dallas RLR room is a total clean slate. I won’t elaborate on it anymore than that until the room is finished, which will be in a few months from now.

Reactions: ALF

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The Dallas RLR room is a total clean slate. I won’t elaborate on it anymore than that until the room is finished, which will be in a few months from now.

That is, as expected, a lot of work lies ahead.

Current discussion has centered largely on the collaborative efforts of members here in what cannot be seen. Your products factor heavily in the final presentation and beyond that? I respect you wish to keep cards close to your chest. What we've seen in photos thus far looks highly interesting.

Quite sure both rooms will be very sought after experiences. :)

Reactions: Cellcbern and ALF

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That is, as expected, a lot of work lies ahead.

Current discussion has centered largely on the collaborative efforts of members here in what cannot be seen. Your products factor heavily in the final presentation and beyond that? I respect you wish to keep cards close to your chest. What we've seen in photos thus far looks highly interesting.

Quite sure both rooms will be very sought after experiences. :)
Thx. I know the Magico room will be ready soon for demos. You can contact Alon or Peter Mackay at Magico directly if you would like schedule a visit. PM me if you need any contact details or I can assist in scheduling a visit to either Hayward or Dallas.

Reactions: ALF

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
Magico vs Rockport ,Diffusion vs Absorption,
The two of them seem to have different ideas about the treatment of the side walls.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
On the Magico website, Alon touts the “beautiful San Francisco bay” area and this photo:
View attachment 91299
Now thats the view I’d want out my listening room window! (I’m a little sketchy on my bay area views — is that the bay bridge from Oakland, or GoldenGate from Sausalito? I think the former.)
It’s the Oakland Bay Bridge. That picture was taken from Yerba Buena Island and thus is not the actual view that Alon has from his office/listening room.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Wish my M3s were sitting in that room. WOW!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing