Magneplanar LRS

The New Kid

Aug 19, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have been courious about this kind of speakers a long time consedering Martin Logan and other brands.
Yesterday I got hold of a brand new pair of Magneplan LRS I was considering to check out the upgraded LRS+ but this the older version was sold at a very good price
and as I don't know if they are going to work for me I think this is a good way to start out. I have them right now hooked up with my Bluesound Powernode and been told
that they need much more power than the 80 watts in 8 ohm than the powernode can provide, but now I let them play constant to break them in and I've been told that they need 150 hours.
There is one thing I found and that is the left panel has three round (metalic?) plates stack on top of each other about 7 inches appart but the right panel has only the middle one is this correct?
Why are they there at all? and Why not three on each panel?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The round "dots" on the panels are to break up panel modes, or resonances within the panels, and are intentionally placed in different places on the right and left speakers. That is so the resonance frequencies are different and they do not "add up" (or completely cancel) when used as a pair.

The New Kid

Aug 19, 2023
Hi, thank you for your answer, I did look on some pictures on the net and find that there are the same three on one panel and just one on the other
so I guess that my pair is okey, I was affraid that there had been some mistakes on the factory.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing