Manley Chinook and pickup upgrade or new turntable?

Wilson81

Feb 3, 2021
Hello. This is my first post, but I've been using this forum a lot over the years.
I have a question, I was hoping you guys and girls can help me with.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my Croft tube Riaa to a Manley chinook, that I can buy used for around 1600 US $. It is in great condition with the original tubes upgraded to NOS Telefunken. Besides the Riaa upgrade, I would sell my Croft and upgrade my current Grado pickup. I can't remember the model, but it was not a very expensive one. I think it was about 150-200 US$, when I bought it.

HOWEVER. My local highly respected HiFi dealer said, that even though the Manley would be the second best choice when buying a Riaa(the first being the Manley Steelhead), he recommended that I should replace my Thorens TD 166mkii turntable first, even though the Manley would end up being a great future investment and my last Riaa purchase. He stated that a better turntable would produce a overall bigger improvement in sound, and that the Manley wouldn't sound that much bettter than my Croft, as long as it would be feed by my Thorens 166 mkii. His philosophy is that the turntable comes first, then Riaa and lastly pickup, and has on numerous occasions demonstrated, that a great turntable with a cheap cartridge out performs a bad turntable with a great cartridge.

I'm a musician and own Manley recording gear, so I'm familiar with the quality of their products. Furthermore I agree that putting an expensive Neumann mic in front of a bad sounding guitar isn't going to vastly improve the sound of a bad sound source. But does this theory also apply in the HiFi world?

So to round of. Would you rather upgrade to a better table, or would you buy the Manley and a new cartridge?
(I live in Europe and since we have a high import tax, the price of the Manley and Grado pickup, might not correspond with a US price tag)

Hope you can give me some advice.
Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing