MBL 6010D users?

lesacre

May 9, 2015
Chicago
www.kyomiaudio.com
Just saw this and thought I would reply, even though it's late. We are MBL dealers and have extensive experience with 6010D.

Personally, I am biased towards tube preamps. However, 6010D is one of the very few SS preamps that I would be able to live with in my own personal system. I have used it with big MBL and Gryphon amps and those were the rare occasions when I did not crave for my big 4 chassis Jadis JP200MC which I think is one the very top tube preamps ever made. No, 6010D does not sound like tubes but it does not sound like SS either. It sounds like music. It puts you in a mode when you simply stop analyzing sound and give in to music.When you are listening to it, you don't even want to do comparisons. It is relaxed yet very detailed. Except, the detail is not a separate entity, it comes from within the music. That is where most SS preamps fail, IMHO.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Just saw this and thought I would reply, even though it's late. We are MBL dealers and have extensive experience with 6010D.

Personally, I am biased towards tube preamps. However, 6010D is one of the very few SS preamps that I would be able to live with in my own personal system. I have used it with big MBL and Gryphon amps and those were the rare occasions when I did not crave for my big 4 chassis Jadis JP200MC which I think is one the very top tube preamps ever made. No, 6010D does not sound like tubes but it does not sound like SS either. It sounds like music. It puts you in a mode when you simply stop analyzing sound and give in to music.When you are listening to it, you don't even want to do comparisons. It is relaxed yet very detailed. Except, the detail is not a separate entity, it comes from within the music. That is where most SS preamps fail, IMHO.
How is the phono section ? The older 6010 had more elaborate setting for MC loading, now it seem more like a afterthought !

lesacre

May 9, 2015
Chicago
www.kyomiaudio.com
Our unit does not have the phono section but I think on this level, one would be better off with a separate phono stage, especially considering how much more expensive some other manufacturer's top of the line line stages are. We have had great success with Gryphon Legato, as well as with Jadis JPS3 if one wants to go tubes.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I recently corresponded with MBL North America for info on possible new MBL preamp that will replace 6010D but Jeremy said there's no plan for a new preamp.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I recently corresponded with MBL North America for info on possible new MBL preamp that will replace 6010D but Jeremy said there's no plan for a new preamp.
Are you still using 6010D into
9008A’s driving your 101E’s ?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Dartzeel for pre and 9008As for 101Es.
Did you have the 6010D ?
How does the Dartzeel better it ?
I am also a fan of MBL amps with
the 101E’s , the people advocating
tubes on this speaker where very
loud for a while, and have moved on
from they’re “fantastic” setups:rolleyes:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I never had the 6010D in my setup. I guess it was because the "audiophile" in me didn't think much of the Opamp based design in 6010D. However at the end, if it sounds good with the rest of the MBL gear who's to argue? I plan to get one sooner or later.

So I don't know if the new DarTzeel I have now is any better.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I never had the 6010D in my setup. I guess it was because the "audiophile" in me didn't think much of the Opamp based design in 6010D. However at the end, if it sounds good with the rest of the MBL gear who's to argue? I plan to get one sooner or later.

So I don't know if the new DarTzeel I have now is any better.
MBL gear play very well together, maybe because each component is not
necessarily totally neutral, but a complete signal chain is ?

Afveep

Jun 9, 2010
www.xtremefidelity.net
As a former MBL dealer and then personal owner of the 6010D, I wholeheartedly agree with Lesacre's characterization of the sound of the preamp. "Neither tube, nor solid state...it just sounds like music". As for tubes with MBL, I'm not sure that people, in general, have "moved on", it was always a matter of finding the right match. But, this is really no different than finding the right match of (non-MBL) solid state amps with MBL speakers.

My former partner in XtremeFidelity has retired and chosen 101E's as his "retirement loudspeaker" and matched them to an all VAC STATEMENT tube electronics system. Yes, Statement Phono, Line stage and 450iQ Monoblocks, and I can tell you all that this is a knock-your-socks-off combination! The 450iQ's do an amazing job driving the 101E's effortlessly with all the gut-punching low end that you can want while delivering the exceptional organic mid-range and highs that VAC is known for. It's a sound that will bring tears to your eyes with the right music and the 101e's.

If you are serious about considering this combination, we can make an appointment in northern Indiana.
Tom

Reactions: Ki Choi

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Personally i am impressed with the sound of my MBL amps. Even listening to my backup SS phono pre, as my Io Eclipse has decided to take a unscheduled
vacation:mad:. I’m sure it is “just” a tube:rolleyes:, and the room temperature fell
pleasantly in the process ;)
Big all tube power amps are definitely not on my wishlist.

Reactions: Ki Choi

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
He is using dart power amps to i think. A nice synergy at play to.

actually at that time (2008) here is what Fremer was using.....agree that likely MBL pre with MBL amps could have synergy, and i know that dart pre and amps do....although Fremer avoids using the 'zeel' interface 'dart to dart' when doing compares currently as it skews results.

1564442189329.png

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, that review is old i guess. He has dart amps now. Have you had the
6010 D in your system Mike ? I am not impressed with Fremers room
in the Bass department ;)

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, that review is old i guess. He has dart amps now. Have you had the
6010 D in your system Mike ? I am not impressed with Fremers room
in the Bass department ;)

have you heard it?

Fremer's room has large speakers in a modest sized room. it takes some accidental things going right for it to work. not heard it myself.

and no; never had any MBL gear in my room. at shows about 1/3rd of the time i absolutely love what i hear from MBL, and get what makes it special. i think MBL is a challenge to tame. but worth it when it happens.

Reactions: Ki Choi and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
have you heard it?

Fremer's room has large speakers in a modest sized room. it takes some accidental things going right for it to work. not heard it myself.

and no; never had any MBL gear in my room. at shows about 1/3rd of the time i absolutely love what i hear from MBL, and get what makes it special. i think MBL is a challenge to tame. but worth it when it happens.
No i have not heard it, but from what i have seen on the internet, his room size
is definitely a limiting factor, and he seems to like some added ompf in the
bass department.

massimogdf70

Nov 24, 2020
Buonasera, scusa se disturbo. Ho un problema e vorrei chiedere aiuto. Sto provando a riparare un preamplificatore MBL 6010, un componente si è guastato ma non riesco a capire cosa sia e con quale sostituirlo. Mando alcune foto, il componente è quello all'interno del cerchio rosso. Quando accendo l'apparecchio, dopo pochi minuti, da quel componente esce una schiuma bianca e devo spegnerlo immediatamente. Vorrei sostituire questo componente difettoso ma ho bisogno di sapere cos'è e dove acquistarlo. Questa parte è collegata al selettore di tensione 110/220 Volt. Se avessi un sostituto potrei cambiarlo. Grazie e saluti dall'Italia. Domenico

Attachments

• MBL 6010 3.jpg
    MBL 6010 3.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 33
  • MBL 6010 2.jpg
    MBL 6010 2.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 30
  • MBL 6010 1.jpg
    MBL 6010 1.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 33

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing