MFSL Original Master numbered recordings

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Has anyone found that the higher numbered copies of these “limited release” versions typically sound worse than, or really not very different from, very low numbered copies?

Has anyone found that the higher numbered copies of these “limited release” versions typically sound worse than, or really not very different from, very low numbered copies?
since there has been a digital step for a decade or more, they can make all the pressings they want from the original digital transfer pass of the analog tape. so hard to correlate a sequence number to the benefit of that particular earlier 'mother/father/metal part'. and very few numbered pressings, correlate to the actual sequence of physical pressings. it might or might not happen.

sound quality wise unlikely to matter for recent MFSL pressings. might matter for value retention/collecting purposes or resale.

Reactions: astrotoy
Thanks Mike. The thing is some of these “limited release numbered” titles go into the thousands - sometimes over 10,000, so I was curious if, say, copy 9,999 of a given title sounded any worse than copy 99. :)

Thanks Mike. The thing is some of these “limited release numbered” titles go into the thousands - sometimes over 10,000, so I was curious if, say, copy 9,999 of a given title sounded any worse than copy 99. :)
with Thriller it was way more than 10,000. my guess is that there is zero correlation between sound quality and number.....with recent MFSL pressings.

Reactions: tony22
Thanks again, @Mike Lavigne. What threw me was I didn’t think those “Original Master Recordings” series (not the One Steps) had a digital step in the process.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu