Michael Hobson Auctions His Classic Records Archive of #1 Pressings

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Michael Hobson, Founder of Classic Records, is auctioning his entire personal archive of #1 numbered records:

MICHAEL HOBSON ARCHIVES NUMBER 1

The enclosed list represents the entirety of my personal Classic Records Archive #1 numbered copies accumulated from the start of Classic Records in 1994 until its sale to Acoustic Sounds in 2010. These copies represent the Best copies from the “sweet spot” of the first (1S) stamper that have been meticulously stored in a climate controlled environment since being produced.

Michael Hobson - founder of Classic Records Inc.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Here are Michael's formal bidding instructions:

Dear Potential Bidder,

Enclosed you will find a copy of the complete MH Classic Records Archive #1 listing of items to be auctioned in a two-stage auction described below. The items in the list provide the collector / bidder or bidding group the ability to assess the value of the collection at present and the value of future growth as an investment asset.

The two-stage auction will operate as follows:

Stage 1 - Collection of first round Bids by individual bidders or consortium bidders. (Consortium bidders must specify the number in the consortium in their first round bid.) First round bidding will end at 12:59 pm PDT on Monday June 14th 2021.

Bids should be emailed to: mhclassicrecordsarchive1@gmail.com and must include bid amount in US$ and the following contact details: full name, address, country, contact telephone number and email address.

Stage 2 - The top three vetted legitimate bids will be selected and contacted personally within 48 hours after the closing of Stage 1. The Stage 1 high bid amount will be disclosed to the three selected Stage 2 bidders who will then be given an opportunity to submit a second bid before 12:59 pm PDT Monday June 21st 2021.

Stage 2 bidders will be given, upon request, an option to inspect the collection in Los Angeles prior to the close of bidding on Monday June 7th 2021. The winning bidder will be contacted on Wednesday June 9th to complete the transaction and arrange for shipment.

Notes:

1. The collection is sold “AS IS” with all items guaranteed to be in original sealed / unopened packaging.

2. Shipping and freight insurance are the responsibility of the winning bidder and can be coordinated and facilitated by seller.

3. Questions about the collection or the list should be directed to: mhclassicrecordsarchive1@gmail.com

4. A Certificate of Authenticity (signed by Michael Hobson and notarized) will be provided with the collection.

5. The overall winner of the Stage 2 auction will have the opportunity be hosted for dinner and a personal music listening session with Michael Hobson in his dedicated listening room in Los Angeles, CA.

Happy Bidding and Good Luck!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The single-spaced list of records goes on for 15 pages. Michael sent me the list as a PDF file, and I think I am not able to post here a PDF file.

Bidding in this auction obviously is a very significant financial undertaking. If you would like to see the list of records, please e-mail Michael directly or send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will e-mail the list to you.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The lucky winner of this auction will have a truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear from Michael himself the genesis of the vinyl re-issue business, the founding and operation of Classic Records, and numerous amazing stories of Michael's experiences with the licensing of the titles and the remastering sessions with Bernie Grundman and the pressing of the myriad versions of Classic Records reissues on different vinyl formulations!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Very interesting. Looks like Mr. Hobson, using this method, should be able to maximize the net from the auction. Would be interesting to find whether the winning bids are higher than the current market price for mint copies of some of the rarest original RCA's that were in the Classic Records issues. I'm thinking of LSC 1806, 1817, 1893, 2225, 2241, 2449, 2436 (1S only), and LDS6065 (in the replica Soria Book) off the top of my head. Also whether the winners would actually open and play any of the records.

Larry

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Also whether the winners would actually open and play any of the records.
In my opinion records need to be played. Sure if rare then carefully and thoughtfully. But I don't buy $ 4 and 5 digit records so take it with a grain...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing