Mingus Ah Um - MoFi Ultradisc One-Step

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not sure if this has been discussed over here before, but this is a 6000-copy edition - I got #4001 - and it's shockingly realistic despite its age. This album is special to me, as my son played it (as lead trombonist) with his band in this year's Mingus competition in NYC (pre-covid) and won first prize playing "Better Git It In Your Soul".

The fidelity is uncanny to the what I heard live - especially the trombone, as he also plays it at home - very high dynamic headroom, very high timbral accuracy. The pressing is extremely quiet, nothing like the stuff coming out of QRP, close to Impex-level quietness.

My son is listening to it totally transfixed.

https://elusivedisc.com/charles-min...ed-edition-180g-45rpm-supervinyl-2lp-box-set/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Will check out the MoFi SACD. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: ack

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Very nice story.

I have been largely unimpressed by the one steps ... however, I have just recently acquired this one and am waiting for it. I have a few that are unopened as I reconfigure my system. Looking forward to good things based on your impressions.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’ve been waiting for my copy literally months. Covid delays have seriously impacted some deliveries to the uk. Looking forward to receiving it eventually!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah, it took me 5 months to get my copy

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I just received my copy last week. It sounds great - well done MoFi ! This is my favorite Mingus LP especially Side A. Ack - congratulations to your son! Nice! Better Git it in Your Soul is quite the trombone piece! I would also suggest he listen to Benny Golson's "Groovin with Golson" if not familiar with the LP since it features the great Curtis Fuller. APO Prestige Jazz on 200gm vinyl is wonderful.

Reactions: dan31 and ack

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Just a warning that if you have these in your "to listen to" pile to crack them open and check for defects, mine came with numerous scratches on all four sides. I'm sure Mofi will take care of me since I bought it directly from them, but figured I would mention it.

From the clean parts I have heard the sound quality is excellent.

Attachments

• 49DZmd1.jpg
    49DZmd1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 8
  • NSakMvD.jpg
    NSakMvD.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: bazelio

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
The SACD sounds fantastic...Mobile Fidelity has offered a lot of great SACD's.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Just a warning that if you have these in your "to listen to" pile to crack them open and check for defects, mine came with numerous scratches on all four sides. I'm sure Mofi will take care of me since I bought it directly from them, but figured I would mention it.

From the clean parts I have heard the sound quality is excellent.

Thank you for the warning. I have copy 182 and have a few light scuffs on aide A, I will listen tonight to see if its audible.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just received my copy last week. It sounds great - well done MoFi ! This is my favorite Mingus LP especially Side A. Ack - congratulations to your son! Nice! Better Git it in Your Soul is quite the trombone piece! I would also suggest he listen to Benny Golson's "Groovin with Golson" if not familiar with the LP since it features the great Curtis Fuller. APO Prestige Jazz on 200gm vinyl is wonderful.

Will look for Golson’s album. Thanks

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I’ve been waiting for my copy literally months. Covid delays have seriously impacted some deliveries to the uk. Looking forward to receiving it eventually!
Some UK dealers have had stock for months

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a Curtis Fuller The Opener 45 from Music Matters.

Reactions: dminches

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a Curtis Fuller The Opener 45 from Music Matters.

Thanks, I ordered that too; plus Golson's album - should make the kid very happy :)

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Listening to the MoFi Ah Um now. Really great pressing. I almost paid over the top for the ORG. Glad I picked up a copy. So far my fist record sounds clean. Digging the groove!

Reactions: ack

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’ll maybe look at an alternate source than the shop I was dealing with.
incidentally, I’ve had to have replacement sleeves for the Dylan, yes and Bill Evans one steps as the bottom of the sleeve splits possibly during transit. It would be better to have the vinyl outside the sleeve to avoid this.

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Also got it after many months, and putting on the first track....very disappointing. The high mids / treble is over the top (and it's not my system), other tracks do sound better. To be honoust some 1955-1960 mono jazz vinyl (even 197X Japan repress) have more "musicality" than this MFSL (up till now, so I stored it to listen again after some time). For the pressing quality itself it couldn't be better I think.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
By an amazing coincidence, my copy will be arriving by weekend. No sign of the replacement damaged sleeves though!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing