Mono Cartridge Suggestions

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I hoping that the WBF community might be able to give me a little guidance and direction on choosing a mono cartridge for my system. I have never owned a mono cartridge and would like to see what it's all about. I am currently running three different turntables into an EMT JPA 66 Mk.2 phono preamp -- see thread Blonde on Blonde on Blonde for more detail: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/blonde-on-blonde-on-blonde.30295/

I would probably use one of my Garrard decks, with either an SME 3012 Series 1, or 3012r tonearm. These two tonearms should give me a wide range of compliance options. Cartridge loading and output isn't a huge concern with the EMT, but using something that is (somewhat) in the ball park of my SPU's would be nice so that I wouldn't need to change any wires around when I changed cartridges.

I would like something that can play older, original, pressings and also new mono pressings - For instance, I'd love to play my Beatles mono box set and also my original mono of Brubeck's "Time Out".

I am torn between something that leans toward old school, low compliance - EMT TMD-15, Miyajima, or ??? I am also intrigued by the new Ortofon A90 mono, or maybe something similar?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
FWIW, I know that the Soundsmith Straingauge stereo cart is also v adept at mono recordings. DK the particular reasons, but it's mentioned in more than one review.

Reach out to designer Peter Lederman and quiz him.

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Down in Devon

Mar 27, 2020
I've had a Miyajima Zero 0.7mm a number of years and it's great.
The 0.7mm is more suitable for later and repressing of mono LPs (the 1mm and 3mm for older types)
The lack of vertical compliance with a true mono cartridge makes a surprising difference as it removes the hash and crud noise from the grooves that a stereo cartridge picks up. It also sounds very musically convincing with great front to back depth, and sounds very musical (in some ways, more than a stereo cartridge)
I've also purchased the matching SUT and it is very worthwhile.

Reactions: Ovenmitt and jazdoc

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'm thinking seriously of stepping up from my Miyajima Premium Be 1mm to the Ortofon A Mono (A95 mono). looking for a more revealing presentation. i might keep my Miyajima for when i need the more rounded type presentation.

https://www.ortofon.com/mc-a-mono-p-899

not heard the A Mono; but i've owned plenty of high level Ortofons; -2- A90's, -2- standard MC Anna's, and an MC Anna Diamond. never been disappointed or found anything non musical about them.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I want to try the Ikeda 9 mono. Had the Miyajima Premuim BE before.

Reactions: ALF

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
I have this one, it is sublime...rides mostly on an Ikeda 407, really sweet and very enjoyable. Sits on a few turntables...mainly these two fine performers...Schopper updated TD 124 with the special power supply, my Franken-Seiki RY5500-RX3000-HS80 on the Vibraplane . Also, when I am thinking of Ked, the FR 64s tonearm is in the mix :).

Cheers!
ALF

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovenmitt

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Oh my gosh! I’ve abandoned my own thread!!! Work has been a bit overwhelming of late and my query fell off the table. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I am intrigued by the Ortofon A Mono too. It looks to be a pretty lightweight, medium compliance cartridge. I would probably mount it in an arche headshell but I do wonder how it might mate with the heavier SME 3012 (3012r or series 1) tonearms? Has anyone heard one of these cartridge yet?

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017

denimhunter

Apr 9, 2020
I am intrigued by the Ortofon A Mono too. It looks to be a pretty lightweight, medium compliance cartridge. I would probably mount it in an arche headshell but I do wonder how it might mate with the heavier SME 3012 (3012r or series 1) tonearms? Has anyone heard one of these cartridge yet?[/QUOTE]

Type A mono is early SPU mono not the modern A. It’s v low compliance.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I am intrigued by the Ortofon A Mono too. It looks to be a pretty lightweight, medium compliance cartridge. I would probably mount it in an arche headshell but I do wonder how it might mate with the heavier SME 3012 (3012r or series 1) tonearms? Has anyone heard one of these cartridge yet?

Type A mono is early SPU mono not the modern A. It’s v low compliance.[/QUOTE]

Hi @denimhunter.... I think we’re talking about different cartridges. Although I should have said MC A Mono for clarity.

https://www.ortofon.com/mc-a-mono-p-899

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing