Most effective demo sound track ever

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
What is the most effective demo track ever.
The one that has achieved simply most sales in total, of any kind of component, or part.

Once this track is used, the sale is most likely to happen.

What do you think?

I think it is Yello - electrified II
After that I think it is Elvis Presley - Fever.
Then I think it is Rage against the machine…killing in the name of

And no I don’t think Keith don’t go- that far for sales…
I ask because some demo tracks or songs must have the opposite effect also. You dont want to play it…

What do you think it is? 3 candidates please..

Last edited:
Dave Brubeck-Take five
Yello -The Race
Dire Straits-The latest trick i love more "ride across the river" from this lp
Today
Dominique Fils-Aimé-Birds
For me, the most played songs at trade fairs and in shops over the years in germany. I have no idea whether this led to more sales

i think there is an inherent conflict between the idea of "most EFFECTIVE demo track" and "most SALES" of a demo track. however; it seems like your aim is what demo track is the most popular. get's the most use. thinking about that makes my mind numb.

i'll come at this from another perspective. over the last 20 years, the track that i play to visitors that get's cited the most, as blowing their minds for being a live event right here right now is easily the 45rpm version of "Georgia" off the Ben Webster "Live at the Renaissance". played at Warp 11.

great live recording, great performance, and the media and system take full advantage. shows off all the attributes of the Big Rig. it has sparkle, tone, astonishing dynamics, and flow. the group just clicks. the live jazz club venue ambience lays itself out. and the supporting players are top notch. Ben's opening flourish is fully life like in the room; the power, liquidity, energy of the horn just perfect. at about 1 minute in, the drum whack can hit the low 200's on dart 468 'peak' RMS read out. THAT get's everyone's full attention. zero smear on that peak.

if you cannot play this at 'live' levels then don't bother as a demo track. it's a nice cut that sounds good. but at "live" levels (if you have the right tool for that) it transforms into a monster.

frigg'n effective for sure.

plenty of others to choose from. but pretty much this one captures everyone every time. and i rarely hear it at audio shows. and never, ever, like in my room.

1718134545071.png

Last edited:
i'll come at this from another perspective. over the last 20 years, the track that i play to visitors that get's cited the most, as blowing their minds for being a live event right here right now is easily the 45rpm version of "Georgia" off the Ben Webster "Live at the Renaissance". played at Warp 11.

great live recording, great performance, and the media and system take full advantage. shows off all the attributes of the Big Rig. it has sparkle, tone, astonishing dynamics, and flow. the group just clicks and flows. at about 1 minute in the drum whack can hit the low 200's on dart 468 'peak' RMS read out. THAT get's everyone's full attention.

plenty of others to choose from. but pretty much this one captures everyone every time. and i rarely hear it at audio shows.

View attachment 132543

Is this pressing completely analog, and where is the best place to purchase it?

As a couple of posters above have alluded to, the rational or irrational response to a demo track is not independent of the system, room, or listener. A universally stunning demo track does not exist.

I’m always looking for the next great piece of music, and then I like to explore how different components present it to MY ears.

Demo tracks come and go.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
i think there is an inherent conflict between the idea of "most EFFECTIVE demo track" and "most SALES" of a demo track. however; it seems like your aim is what demo track is the most popular. get's the most use. thinking about that makes my mind numb.

great live recording, great performance, and the media and system take full advantage. shows off all the attributes of the Big Rig. it has sparkle, tone, astonishing dynamics, and flow. the group just clicks. the live jazz club venue ambience lays itself out. and the supporting players are top notch. Ben's opening flourish is fully life like in the room; the power, liquidity, energy of the horn just perfect. at about 1 minute in, the drum whack can hit the low 200's on dart 468 'peak' RMS read out. THAT get's everyone's full attention. zero smear on that peak.

if you cannot play this at 'live' levels then don't bother as a demo track. it's a nice cut that sounds good. but at "live" levels (if you have the right tool for that) it transforms into a monster.

plenty of others to choose from. but pretty much this one captures everyone every time. and i rarely hear it at audio shows. and never, ever, like in my room.

View attachment 132543

Exactly my point , power and size ...

That’s a very interesting comment. What do you think are really good demo tracks and why do you think they cannot be played on 95% of current systems? Do you think they can be played on older systems?

Can be played on any FR capability system with realistic dynamic levels for power and size without compression .

Micro /Macro dynamics with proper scale and ability to breathe and grow like live music, any true SOTA system from any past era can apply ..

As a couple of posters above have alluded to, the rational or irrational response to a demo track is not independent of the system, room, or listener. A universally stunning demo track does not exist.

I’m always looking for the next great piece of music, and then I like to explore how different components present it to MY ears.

Demo tracks come and go.

Universal Stunning recordings do exist , but unfortunately not universal stunning systems for playback of such ...

Do you have both 33/45 to Compare ...?
yes; I have 3. The early AP numbered 33, a test pressing of that one, and an original (from a digital master) Contemporary.

Not done that compare in years. But recall loving the AP 33 years ago when I first played it. it sparkles as a 33.

btw, this Ben Webster is a 1960 recording (Ampex 350 live to 2 track)) that was not released by Contemporary until 1985 (or 1989?) from a digital transfer. then in 1993 it was re-mastered from the original tapes for AP (both analog and digital) by Doug Sax. no accident that it's fantastic.

IMG_1521.jpeg

Last edited:
I use multiple tracks for evaluation:
1. Greg Kihn "Jeopardy" from Kihnspiracy.
Listen for the bass triplets for bass articulation
2. St. Vincent "Savoir" from MassEducation
Female vocals and acoustic piano
3. Opeth "In My Time of Need" from Damnation, Koch KOC-LP-4577, 2x LP reissue 2008
Drums, especially cymbal resolution
4. Prince "Let's Work" 33 1/3 rpm; DWBS 50028; 12" single
Bass and system drive

Last edited:
Can be played on any FR capability system with realistic dynamic levels for power and size without compression .

Micro /Macro dynamics with proper scale and ability to breathe and grow like live music, any true SOTA system from any past era can apply ..

OK, so you don’t think 95% of current systems meet that standard.

Could you list some of the demo tracks that you have in mind?

I would actually be most curious about how each of the reissues on thick vinyl compare to an original.
the original Contemporary is from a digital master. i do have it, not compared it for a couple of decades, but from memory the AP Doug Sax mastered both 33 and 45 are both much better. as will be the upcoming re-issue IMHO.

the AP 33 and test pressings are 180 gram, my estimate is that the Contemporary is a 150 gram pressing, FWTIW.
I understand an original is difficult to impossible to find.
maybe not.

Reactions: PeterA
the original Contemporary is from a digital master. i do have it, not compared it for a couple of decades, but from memory the AP Doug Sax mastered both 33 and 45 are both much better. as will be the upcoming re-issue IMHO.

the AP 33 and test pressings are 180 gram, my estimate is that the Contemporary is a 150 gram pressing, FWTIW.

maybe not.

It’s interesting. With my old system, I preferred remastered thick vinyl. On my new system, I prefer originals. This isn’t the thread to go into the possible reasons, but it’s an interesting topic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing