Most Musical AND Refined vintage cartridges

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I has been looking for a vintage cartridge that is warmer, smoother and more forgiving than my current cartridge, a very transparent and revealing (but not overly bright) Signet TK7e.

This cartridge must also be musically involving, with nothing that will overtly detract from its engagement.

I believe that the original Koetsu Black, classic Ortofon SPU series, and several of the top stereo cartridges made up to 1965 produced the general type of sound I am looking for, but I also require an unfailing level of high frequency purity and refinement that most vintage (and modern) cartridges fail to possess (my ears are very sensitive to it).

If I had the money, there are a few top end cartridges that may suffice (I like the Air Tight Opus). But I am very poor these days, and would like to find a used cartridge that gives me this level of "musical" refinement for under $500.

I have been looking at the Supex SD 801/901 series, but don't know if they can deliver enough of the above requirements to significantly better my Signet, which is about as good as a vintage MM cartridge that I have heard, despite being rather unforgiving of less than perfect recordings.

Last edited:
Consider picking up a cheap Denon 103 with a broken or missing stylus / cantilever and sending it to Andy Kim who will perform his body mod / boron / micro line upgrade service on it … might come in a little over your $500 but not by much , he might even have a suitable candidate in stock .

https://phonocartridgeretipping.com/services/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu