MQA Declares Bankruptcy

As Lee is not a reviewer I doubt he has loaned components to return.

I wonder what is behind Tom's vitriol.
Ron, Lee has reviewed a few things see Part-time Audiophile.

This what I wrote December 3, 2019, when the Lee Scoggins thread started on Audiophile Style.

“Actually I do know about him professionally and know him personally.

He may find himself in an interesting position managing an enterprise. It will be something to watch with interest professionally.”

"The backlash against MQA and the audiophile press prevented MQA from getting a market share. It is doubtful 300,000 people can decode an MQA file."
huh? Backlash?
To this date a significant portion of the audiophile press and community remain in complete denial about their transgressions of MQA. For most of us it was fostered upon us. It failed because it is an overpriced redundancy.
John Atkinson and Jim Austin had a lot of the backlash deleted on Audio Asylum and Stereophile. Robert Harley was stunned by 150 negative comments about one of his editorials in The Absolute Sound. Notice they don’t allow comments now.

MQA failed because the battle was fought in the audiophile world. Every attempt to move MQA into the mainstream failed.

I honestly don’t understand why Tom put out that press release. The facts are that Tom himself approved every audio purchase I made during my time at Nextscreen and I purchased these items at standard accommodation pricing. I followed the rules closely and did nothing unethical.

I did do video reviews for our TAS video channel so I would receive equipment in for evaluation. This equipment was promptly returned after the video was shot. For example, we just did a review three weeks ago of the Alta Audio Hestia II loudspeakers with Infigo electronics. We shot the video and the very next day a truck picked up the huge boxes and Pelican-like cases and took them to a warehouse in advance of the Axpona show.
Lee, I’d like to think your promotion of MQA caused you to leave Nextscreen. But I expect the answer is more complicated.

Tim, we are having a sheep or shill moment. Just roll with it.

I could care less about MQA. I know nothing about internecine wrangling at TAS. From my reading and interaction with Lee, he has been a straight-shooter. Taking this discussion to an ad hominem level rather than staying with technical+sonic merits weakens the argument and shows poor form.

I said my piece and I am out of here.

Reactions: bernardang and Lee
i met Lee and developed a friendship simply from our mutual enjoyment of music and the hobby. he is a straight up guy, why his previous employer chose to ended the realionship in such a public, sour way seems unprofessional and unnecessary. glad i am not in the corporate world anymore, it can be an ugly place.

Reactions: Lee
Reactions: Lee and HughP3
And how/why in the world is Tom coming down so hard on loans in Lee's case to begin with when Tom chooses to overlook loans and ethical issues relating thereto by reviewers at the top of his masthead?
For a period of time after leaving Nextscreen Lee described himself in his signature as Senior Contributor to The Absolute Sound. He doesn’t appear to be making that claim any longer so perhaps that was the goal of the Press Release? I don’t have any idea, just guessing as I don’t have any of the inside information some of you seem to have.

A "Review sample" only becomes a "loan" if you keep it beyond the review period. I was asked to sign a document saying I would return a review sample within a certain period. I am a man of my word. I am subject to human failure of course.
I repeat- I apologize for everything I said about reviewers.

I could care less about MQA. I know nothing about internecine wrangling at TAS. From my reading and interaction with Lee, he has been a straight-shooter. Taking this discussion to an ad hominem level rather than staying with technical+sonic merits weakens the argument and shows poor form.

I said my piece and I am out of here.
Tim, MQA was never about sound quality. It was about finance, marketing, and control of distribution. If The Administrators Proposal is accurate. Bob Stuart demonstrated MQA for two years unsuccessfully at CES before he showed it to two gullible editors, John Atkinson, and Robert Harley in 2014.

A true sheep or shill moment in high end audio. A lot of talented people who could have promoted high performance audio to the new generation were forced to stop MQA.

Whew, i sometimes feel really out of place on this forum. Reading on this forum of all places a product being hated for being a money grab? There’s a thread where members can brag about their wristwatches here. I like the sound of meridian products and may contribute to why I wanted mqa to succee.

Reading a forum member try to throw dirt on another member in this discussion is messed up. When one of my children would get nasty i’d have them take a nap.

Whew, i sometimes feel really out of place on this forum. Reading on this forum of all places a product being hated for being a money grab? There’s a thread where members can brag about their wristwatches here. I like the sound of meridian products and may contribute to why I wanted mqa to succee.

Reading a forum member try to throw dirt on another member in this discussion is messed up. When one of my children would get nasty i’d have them take a nap.

It’s not only nasty but it may turn out to be premature in judgment. I believe the MQA technology, particularly SCL6, may be valuable. Let the reorg process play out and see if there are any buyers.

If it turns out not to be Lee, will you give up the ghost?
Sure. Maybe we can bet one martini to be paid by either you or Rt66 if I win or me if I lose…at an audio show next year.

No doubt MQA made some mistakes but their technology has some merit in my opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing