MSB with external preamp.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Has anyone used an MSB DAC fitted with volume control/ preamp to an integrated amp or to an external preamp? If so what volume level was the MSB turned up to? I’ve been told turning the volume all the way up is the best way when using an integrated amp or seperate preamp? Has anybody compared the MSB DAC with and without volume control/preamp in combination with integrated preamp or seperate external preamp. I’ve been told that turning the MSB volume control all the way up makes the analog signal bypass the built in volume and makes the DAC perform exactly the same as a unit without built in volume control/preamp.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I usually turn the volume off on my Premiere if I’m using an external preamp (PS Audio BHK Pre). Since I bought an MSB S202 amp I prefer going direct from DAC to AMP without the preamp in the chain.
Settings: 75 ohm on the S202 and high output (150 ohm) on the Premiere, with the volume ON, of course. Normally set at 72-78 range.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
I usually turn the volume off on my Premiere if I’m using an external preamp (PS Audio BHK Pre). Since I bought an MSB S202 amp I prefer going direct from DAC to AMP without the preamp in the chain.
Settings: 75 ohm on the S202 and high output (150 ohm) on the Premiere, with the volume ON, of course. Normally set at 72-78 range.
Lucky man . I’m saving for the Premier DAC. I cannot turn volume control off in my MSB Analog DAC. Volume at 94 is recommended. Soundstage reviewed your kit and set impedance to 75 ohms on both the amp and DAC. Please confirm as your setting on your Premier is too high at 150. Please read the setup in the review. https://www.soundstageultra.com/ind...echnology-premier-digital-to-analog-converter.

Last edited:
Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Lucky man . I’m saving for the Premier DAC. I cannot turn volume control off in my MSB Analog DAC. Volume at 94 is recommended. Soundstage reviewed your kit and set impedance to 75 ohms on both the amp and DAC. Please confirm as your setting on your Premier is too high at 150. Please read the setup in the review. https://www.soundstageultra.com/ind...echnology-premier-digital-to-analog-converter.
I read it (more than one time) thanks. MSB recommends 75 ohm (low) or 150 ohm (high setting) on the DAC, following personal likings. They told me clearly that many Premiere owners, like me, prefer the 150 ohm output sonically. You can use both settings on the DAC and decide which one better checks your boxes,
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Pokey77 and alfa100

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
I read it (more than one time) thanks. MSB recommends 75 ohm (low) or 150 ohm (high setting) on the DAC, following personal likings. They told me clearly that many Premiere owners, like me, prefer the 150 ohm output sonically. You can use both settings on the DAC and decide which one better checks your boxes,
Hope that helps.
I’m more confused now. I always thought input impedance of amp must be higher. Nevertheless I would follow manufacturer advice. In
On another note . What amp did u compare the S 202? I believe they are terrific especially with MSB DAC

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I’m more confused now. I always thought input impedance of amp must be higher. Nevertheless I would follow manufacturer advice. In
On another note . What amp did u compare the S 202? I believe they are terrific especially with MSB DAC
You are right, me too remember the 10x rule between amp and preamp. In fact using the PS Audio BHK Pre (100 ohm output impedance) in the chain (if I play vinyls), I use to set the S202 at 1.2K ohm.
The S202 replaced two PS Audio M1200s mono amps, I can honestly admit that the MSB combo AMP+DAC is stunning. In another thread here on WTB forums I described my thoughts about this comparison, if you are interested.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
You are right, me too remember the 10x rule between amp and preamp. In fact using the PS Audio BHK Pre (100 ohm output impedance) in the chain (if I play vinyls), I use to set the S202 at 1.2K ohm.
The S202 replaced two PS Audio M1200s mono amps, I can honestly admit that the MSB combo AMP+DAC is stunning. In another thread here on WTB forums I described my thoughts about this comparison, if you are interested.
Please send me the link to that.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Please send me the link to that.

post #16

Bones13

Jan 11, 2024
USA
I currently use my MSB Premier DAC through a ModWright LS300 pre-amp to Atma-Sphere Class D monoblock amplifiers. Quite divine. Also allows use of turntable + phono pre.

i do use the MSB in fixed output mode. That might change as my life changes, but it sounds so good now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing