Munich Report: Aries Cerat

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Basshorns were definitely in operation throughout the entire show.

Narayan - Erevus S are not a Contendo specific product. They can be used with any speaker not just the Symphonia. Keep in mind, like a typical sub has a hard time keeping up with a horn the Erevus may be difficult to use with a traditional speaker so ideally you would use with a horn like the Symphonia

Reactions: Narayan

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is the Erevus a replacement/slot in for the smaller Symphonia basshorn?
Ie will there be two Symphonias options, one w the Erevus?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Is the Erevus a replacement/slot in for the smaller Symphonia basshorn?
Ie will there be two Symphonias options, one w the Erevus?

Erevus is a basshorn that is double the size of the Symphonia. Definitely not smaller and no this introduction of the dedicated basshorn will not be a precursor to another bigger (or smaller) Symphonia

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
But for the €55k/pr I see is rrp for Erevus, it can be an add-on to Symphonias to make these go from 3- to 4-way w true 20Hz capability?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
The Erevus can be passive and use an external crossover to make it a 4 way or can be used with active amplification with DSP for extra. If you have a a desire for nipple twisting bass then this is the way to go

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
For sub bass, prefer the term "cojone crushing".
"Nipple twisting" strikes me more as the effect of a supertweeter that goes to 100kHz.

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The high end is a speciality fetish in itself.

Reactions: bonzo75

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
They aren't being used.
They were being used...they are so far forward to account for bass horn length and group delay.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Big thanks to two Aries Cerat guys from the US, that gave me a ride to the HiFi Delux at Mariott hotel on Saturday!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
:):cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
They were being used...they are so far forward to account for bass horn length and group delay.
Why are bass horns placed fwds of main horns? Aren't bass wavelengths physically longer than non bass ones? Or is this time alignment of drivers?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Why are bass horns placed fwds of main horns? Aren't bass wavelengths physically longer than non bass ones? Or is this time alignment of drivers?
Time alignment

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Because it is a true basshorn and not a horn-loaded subwoofer the principles are not the same. The reason it sits so far in front is the length of the horn is longer. So if you could unfold it like a tootsie roll, the driver will be aligned in physical space to the location of the Symphonia drivers.

And voila' you have true time aligned precision bass

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Well, I can confirm it worked. In fact it worked so well many asked if they were actually on, as the integration was perfect. No bass woofer thing going on here, the, oh there is a sub, I can hear and place that. It was more, wow, full range indeed and where is the sub?

We had fun at the end of the days, Thursday till Sunday. It was when the public had left, and we went a bit nuts. Bach organ for example, I have never heard anything like that from any sound system. I could place all the pipes and the soundstage was enormous. This was when we played at 'in church' volume near field level. Dynamics and speed were off the scale. Truly incredible sound....

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

Gerbie1990

Nov 29, 2018
It was an amazing experience, I personally rated AC, the overall best sound of the Show, followed by Wilson and Living Voice. We spend almost 2 hours in the room to listen difference type of music, analog or digital. The room always packed, we went back to the room at the end of Saturday, the room still packed and playing great music. The flamenco track that Stavros played, was transferring all of us back to Seville. To our big surprised, the huge Achilleas power amp was only being driven by the single chassis Impera II, not the highest grade. The digital sound was one of my best experience with digital. I did not realize the huge basshorn at the front was hooking up or not, but the sound was well balance. It can play loud, soft music, you named it. I will try to post some pic and video later.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Really impressed with the dynamics and resolution. Front end and amps were absolutely spectacular. The speakers...not my taste at all, i could hear each driver and the subs. Perhaps in a much larger room, one that puts a safe distance between that tweeter and my ears.

Attachments

• DSC_2064.jpg
    DSC_2064.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
This room was an extremely good sounding room, one of the top at the show (and I don't usually love though I do respect horn-based speaker designs).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing