Music start delay on Reference DAC

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Hello @Levitator. Hope all good and that XDMS sounds excellent at your place. I am holding off for a bit, until things mature.

Re: the missing second of music at track start, it's a peculiar thing: I don't seem to have had it for a while now. Some time ago, I pinged Jonathan at MSB and Emile too, but no one embarked on any action to change anything that I am aware of.

But FYI the dac was always reading: 24/X for files, no matter what was passed. So Jonathan noted MSB reads exactly what is delivered, so something was off. Emile noted it was expected, and due to ASIO file handling. Sorry, I did not fully grasp the answer...the root implication.

At my place, I was missing a tick of sound, I took the firmware update, and I was then missing a second on only one channel. I tried reboots, to no avail. That's when I emailed the honchos.

It makes no sense, but it went away...after months on end...it seems like it went away. At this point, I don't recall specifically, but I wonder if, in my troubleshooting: did I unplug/re-plug the Pro/ISL? Did it matter? I am not sure. I was pretty frustrated my 50K dac and 30K server were not communicating well. But it seems to be OK now, still on TAS exclusively.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Hello @Levitator. Hope all good and that XDMS sounds excellent at your place. I am holding off for a bit, until things mature.

Re: the missing second of music at track start, it's a peculiar thing: I don't seem to have had it for a while now. Some time ago, I pinged Jonathan at MSB and Emile too, but no one embarked on any action to change anything that I am aware of.

But FYI the dac was always reading: 24/X for files, no matter what was passed. So Jonathan noted MSB reads exactly what is delivered, so something was off. Emile noted it was expected, and due to ASIO file handling. Sorry, I did not fully grasp the answer...the root implication.

At my place, I was missing a tick of sound, I took the firmware update, and I was then missing a second on only one channel. I tried reboots, to no avail. That's when I emailed the honchos.

It makes no sense, but it went away...after months on end...it seems like it went away. At this point, I don't recall specifically, but I wonder if, in my troubleshooting: did I unplug/re-plug the Pro/ISL? Did it matter? I am not sure. I was pretty frustrated my 50K dac and 30K server were not communicating well. But it seems to be OK now, still on TAS exclusively.
Ok, glad to hear it doesn’t seem to be an issue for you anymore. I’ll have to play around with things and see if I can work out what’s happening. XDMS is fantastic from a SQ perspective!

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...it just occurred to me: some time ago, Ed wrote they were aware of the need to create a small delay in the delivery, or a user-configurable delay (as some other players have) to prevent this undesirable effect between some components. I am not sure where that is on the XDMS feature roadmap.

Mickstuh

Sep 30, 2021
I had a similar issue with my Discrete DAC. The problem turned out to be my attached CD player. Some CD players repeatedly send out a signal even when no music is playing. When I had selected AUTO on the DAC, and was playing from streaming services via USB, the DAC would first detect the signals received from the CD player (which was always left turned on) and only then the music signal via USB. When I selected USB instead of AUTO, problem went away. Forever.

Reactions: Armsan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing