My Experiences Building a Total Shunyata Zitron System--A Paradigm Shift

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I insertes all Shunyata signal cables (anaconda Zitron) in my system and ended up prefering the incumbent transparent audio cables. While the Shunyata's were lightning fast and detailed, I found the transparents to be more musical. For powercables, I have not found anything better than Shunyata's though.....

Elrod fan, big time here. But in the end it is just what you are able to listen to, in a certain set-up, in a certain mood, with a certain preference etc...which will provoke the term "the Best". Shunyata is top-notch however, as a certain other brands.
About power cables vs. signal cables. The power cables made the biggest improvement in my system as well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just so you do not think that I have drunk the Shunyata Kool-Aid, I just inserted a pair of Viper Zitron A/C cords (lowest of the Zitron A/C cords) into my Martin Logan Montises (thus powering the screens and the woofer digital amps) and low and behold the sound got worse, mostly muddy mid-bass and less articulate throughout the rest of the spectrum. I suspect that this occurred because they have not broken in and clearly are of a very different design than their bigger Zitron sibs.

I will keep you posted but they are already getting better after 15 minutes, but not back to where I was prior to their insertion. BTW I called Shunyata and have asked them to weigh in on this thread, but do not know yet if they will.

I've never found any aftermarket PC to improve the sound of the ML (powered or unpowered) speakers. Don't ask me why?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Myles,

I certainly cannot explain why, but have zero doubt that the sound of the ML's has changed considerably, although it may be mostly that the signal feeding them has changed. Although I will say that plugging the ML's into the Triton definitely did produce a soundstage change.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
It is now at least a hundred hours of active play time since I made my last Zitron addition to my system. The last addition was plugging the Martin Logan Montises into the Triton via Zitron Vipers (the 4th of 4 Zitron power cables). Just prior to that was an assortment of Anaconda, Python, and Cobra Zitron power cords all plugged into a Triton. So while I might be eating these pixels in another few days, I think that I am most of the way broken in.

That totally unusual foreign sound and feel still persists and is even more articulate. Don't get me wrong, "foreign" merely means different than what I had and not in anyway bad. It is very much like the sound you hear in the hallways at CES when you are outside a room that you know has good sound even before you enter the room. BTW, it is absent from mediocre and bad sounding rooms.

I have truly acclimated to the overall sound and love it, playing old discs to re-experience them and feeling like it was the first time AGAIN. The biggest difference during the past several days is a strange one--the bass output dropped by almost the same amount that it increased initially. However, as I raised the level of the JL subwoofers and the woofer in the ML's I did not return to where I was prior to the Shunyata insertions. The bass I have now is much tighter, forceful, articulate and there is MUCH more blackness in between each note.

So in conclusion (I think) I have two findings that both surprise me: 1) The real gain was on the A/C side--much more than the signal side; and 2) The gain I got was much greater and more dimensioned than I ever guessed or for that matter hoped.

So while I cannot say Shunyata Zitron products are the best regardless of price, I am pretty comfortable saying that at its relatively (by audio standards) reasonable price, you more than likely would gain a lot of pleasure and realism with your system with their insertion. Start with A/C side because that seems to be where the true value is--just as Caelin Gabriel and Grant told me when I first met them.

Last edited:

bachrocks1685

Dec 13, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Hi Russ, thanks so much for your incredible report, I am now trying to figure out which Shunyata products I should add to my modest system and your report is extremely helpful.

And sorry to hear about your divorce. They are never fun.

But through all the trials and tribulations life sends our way, we have the music to help us see that they are only bumps in the road, and after some time, amazingly, our life is fundamentally better than before, at least, in my experiences.

Returning to audio, I have never heard Shunyata products, so am depending a lot on what others experience with them. What has also impressed me about this brand is that the company philosophy seems to want their products to be as affordable as possible, although I do understand several thousand-dollar PCs seemingly defy this assertion.

Anyhow, thanks again for the superlative report and happy listening :)

Ron

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Ron,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I have gone to considerable effort to try to document what I have experienced because it is almost beyond believable, despite having been playing in this arena for more than 50 years. As I have said, at this point, I cannot sort out what is doing what, but know one thing for sure--I love the total effect. I thought I knew the sonic signatures of my components, having owned multiple models of each brand over the years, but I have never heard my system sound like this and to some extent, never having heard a total Shunyata Zitron system before mine, have never heard some of the involving qualities that are now the norm for my system, even with TV signals.

I just want to reiterate what I have said several times, because it is so hard for me to believe - the A/C side the cords and Triton, made more difference than the signal side, although the signal improvements are quite impressive. Try just one cord to your power amp if you want to play it safe, BUT be prepared to jump in because it is luscious.

QUOTE=bachrocks1685;195648]Hi Russ, thanks so much for your incredible report, I am now trying to figure out which Shunyata products I should add to my modest system and your report is extremely helpful.

And sorry to hear about your divorce. They are never fun.

But through all the trials and tribulations life sends our way, we have the music to help us see that they are only bumps in the road, and after some time, amazingly, our life is fundamentally better than before, at least, in my experiences.

Returning to audio, I have never heard Shunyata products, so am depending a lot on what others experience with them. What has also impressed me about this brand is that the company philosophy seems to want their products to be as affordable as possible, although I do understand several thousand-dollar PCs seemingly defy this assertion.

Anyhow, thanks again for the superlative report and happy listening :)

Ron[/QUOTE]

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Shunyata Findings 1 month later

Amazingly, despite multiple hours of use daily (between 5-10), after one month my Shunyata products are still breaking in. Fortunately, I have some tuning options with my system in the mid to low bass, because that is where the greatest changes are continuing to occur. Several days ago I noticed that my system started to sound somewhat dark and was not nearly as involving as it had been during the past month after the Zitron additions. My first thought was that the newness wore of and I had acclimated. But just the opposite was the case when I started retuning the mid and low bass but turning the mid-bass down by just a db or two and lowering the cross-over frequency to the JL subs from 35 hz to 30 hz and lowering the the JL outputs by about 1-2 db.

The net result of these tuning tweaks is that the system sounds better than ever, and despite its modest components, better than the overwhelming majority of systems I have heard regardless of price. I sat down to listen to a few cuts to enjoy my new improved sound and well, that was five hours ago. I would keep going for several more, but it is 1 am and I have an early morning.

If you don't have a dealer who will lend you some Zitron cables to try out in your system, buy some from Mark at Music Direct with their 30-day money back guarantee so that you will have the thrill that I have had. Just remember, I seriously doubt you will be able to remove them once they are installed.

Next stop a Meitner DAC.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Russ:
I just came across your thread, and smiled as I read your step-by-step methodical pace. I think that is the most intelligent way to go when trying something new, although, of course, if the other components/cords are less musical and resolving then whatever you're putting into the system, it can be disappointing.
I've had Shunyata since 2003, and I got my first King Cobra V2 while I was out visiting a friend in the Bay Area (SF Bay area, that is), where I'd moved away from a year earlier. His system was an Arcam Alpha 6, a JVC XL Z-1050TN CD player and Mirage 490 speakers (the ones with the phenomenal titanium tweeter) and MIT interconnects. Most of these, I'd given to him. Oh, right, the speaker cable were the least expensive Transparents on the market at that time.
Putting the King Cobra into the Arcam, which was plugged into the original Bybee line conditioner, itself powered by an older ESP power cord (first generation), SO changed the system that my friend's roommate's girlfriend said to me, as I walked up the 10 steps to the second floor "What did you do just now?" I told her I'd changed the ac cord and, somewhat surprised, asked if she could tell the difference and her response was, "It sounds wonderful." I knew that from being downstairs, but it was apparent even upstairs.
I got back to Connecticut and put them into a the ASL Hurricane amps (I'd gotten a second King Cobra V2) and was dazzled by how immediate and lifelike the sound was, with a drummer on the Mercury Living Presence Albeniz album (I think: it WAS 11 year ago), sounding so real that I was just dazzled. I've had Shunyata ever since, although I bought - around the same time the Nordost Shiva, then Vishnu, then Valhalla power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. I found the Shunyata to have a realism that the Nordost matched - even exceeded - BUT with one caveat: the Nordost clearly lacked a fully musical sound. The tonal balance of first generation Valhalla speaker cable and interconnects lacked mid bass weight, and upper bass and lower midrange weight (not arguable, by the way, as I now have second generation Nordost and it's a new ballgame with those. Even the Frey 2 is superior to the Tyr 1, which sounds mechanical by comparison).
Back to the Shunyata. I agree the the current Zi-Tron line is superb, and, like you, I'd go with the AC cords before the signal cords (which I've heard: both Python and Cobra). Although I think the Cobra is just a bit lightweight in sound, it still has tremendous transparency, floats the sound so that it moves towards you the way it does in real life (what Jonathan Valin of TAS calls "action", the way a particular instrument's radiation pattern sounds in a good concert hall) and decays far better than previous Shunyata iterations - every single one of which I've had.
Now that you've gotten the Shunyata, try the Stillpoints Ultra mini risers under the line conditioner and other components for a rather startling jump forward. And don't just put them under the component and just leave them the first place you put them, if you decide to do this: that is going to be the difference between "yeah, that's…better, but not all THAT good" and "Jesus CHRIST, did-I-just-take-LSD?" I know others will say "hyperbole," but I have them and if they do not, they're just talking out their….um, backside. As someone who wrote for a couple of the big mags at one time, I drive my friends mad with adjustments of tube traps (40 of 'em, and I got mine back in 1988, when they were unknown, so I've had as much experience as anyone except ASC and I know how moving them 1/16" can make a difference in opening up throat tones on Ella, or causing "air" to appear behind the drums on Mexican Rhapsody on the Mercury Living Presence boxed set CD or anything else you can name) and I'm equally fanatic about moving the Stillpoints tiny fractions left, right, forward and backward on everything. They do NOT simply "improve the bass," as I read one poster proclaim. He clearly didn't spend time moving them around. They remove mechanical vibration, which is harder to pinpoint on the underside of one's components. Even where they SHOULD sound best, they don't necessarily. But they WILL allow the Cobras, Pythons et al to sound even better. Which means, even more realistic than your system probably sounds now. But the endpoint is, the Shunyatas improved dramatically with this last iteration, although - and Robert Harley made this point in passing in his review - they newer Shunyata are more "midrange and treble oriented." Older Shunyata, and especially the first generation power cords, had significant (mid) bass "slam." For all that, the resolution and realism is quite, quite, dazzling, other lines' virtues notwithstanding.
Glad you like them!!!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Mcbrion,
I wish I had the same positive results with Stillpoint Ultras you did under Shunyata conditioning gear. I have in fact played with their location for hours and all I can say is that I wished I had taken LSD for that experiment! :) I wonder, could it be the results are disappointing because the Stillpoints are on carpet? Stillpoint says they work there as well, but I am not so sure....
Marty

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Re: the Stillpoints...

Marty:
I have both the Stillpoints Ultra Mini and the SS (the next one up) and I don't think carpeting dulls their effects.

Having said that, what did you have them under? Speakers? Or something else? Let me tell you my experience with Stillpoints on carpets.

I have Nola speakers. Several models. However, the Contender, my most recent purchase (I could have gotten KOs, but I wanted something I could lift. While I can bench press a lot, lifting speakers from the floor is entirely different in what muscles you use, so I opted for the 50-lb Contenders).

Unfortunately, a driver on the Contenders went out, so I put my old Hale Revelation 3s back in there. The Ultra SS arrived the same day. I will only say that putting the SS directly under the Hales was not fun. 90 pounds, and it was only weeks after a medical operation. My body punished me for a week after that, so I didn't do it again. I didn't want to get the threaded thingmagigs to go between the Stillpoints and the speakers, because I didn't intend to keep the Hales in the system and besides, I'm the mad scientist type of the Einstein persuasion: one change at a time for a controlled experiment approach and keep at it for weeks (I remember Einstein saying he wasn't smarter than others: he just persisted longer than others did. That would be me, although it can be tiring to be like this).
The carpet was wool and, frankly, thick enough that the Hales were different heights between the two speakers (I could see that the top of one speaker was at least 1/4" higher than the other). Height makes a significant difference in sonics. I've always known that: even 1/8" creates noticeable differences in sound, although, among reviewers, only Roy Gregory has pointed this out in print. And I worked for two mags myself.
For all that, I could hear the difference in the Hales mainly as a lessening of darkness. AND - and this is important: turn the top thread a half turn (at least) to separate it from the bottom part. By the way, Stillpoints doesn't - as I've seen on forums - recommend turning the SS upside down so that the wider part is underneath the speakers (which is what I saw in some photographs). Their position is that the technology is much more effective when placed against the component, meaning the Ultra Minis and SS should have the small end up top, against your CD player, preamp, amp or line conditioner.
I found putting them on the carpet was okay, BUT, my rug was wool and hand-tufted in contrast to wool rugs that are hand weaved, and it made for an uneven surface. This was something easily visible, although I wondered how one part of the carpet was solid under the SS, yet another (Stillpoint) footer sank into it. I returned the rug (I was experimenting anyway [I TOLD you I'm a mad scientist type]) and put back in my old wool rug, where the threads are coming up every time I walk over them, but it's a hand-woven one (at least from what I could read on the label on the bottom side of the carpet. It's 10 years old: the print was faded. Who knows: I could have been hallucinating). Hand woven seems better than hand-tufteds (or at least, MY hand-tufted), which has a very tight weave to it. The footers were even on the handwoven rug, which also returned the speakers to equal heights between right and left speakers.

I did notice a difference, too, between putting, for example, my Shunyata Dark Elevators (I have both the V2s and the originals) on the rug, underpadding or floor. I researched a website that discussed acoustic effects of underpadding and found that open cell padding is superior to ….whatever the other kind is (laughing! I can't remember, but I think it's called "closed cell". Maybe it's latex or something; I just can't remember as I'm typing this). In any case, as I then discovered, after moving the elevators on and off the rug, floor and under padding (yup, had to move the speaker cable and power cords around, too. Mad, mad, mad as the Mad Hatter I am, marie), there's even a sonic difference between the 2 versions of the dark Elevators: the original version has more "weight." (Yes, I know I'm off the subject of your question, but since the original poster bought these, he might want to be aware of what I'm going to say next). One shouldn't mix the two versions under the same component. (I'm sure if Grant [Shunyata's Marketing Manager]) ever sees this, he'll have a fit . It "confused" the sound a bit, to my ears. The newer version is considerably more transparent and "faster" but not quite as weighty (it's a small difference) and I had them both on the exposed hardwood part of my listening room. I don't carpet my entire dedicated listening room: just 2/3 of it. Now that I think of it, it does correlate to the qualities of their Zi-Tron cables, which as Robert Harley said, in TAS, were more midrange and treble oriented, which does't mean it's "lite"-sounding. Anything but. Yet, it is still less "weighty" than it used to be. If you read the reviews of it on The Audio Beat website (or was it Soundstage? I forget), you can see they reached the same conclusion. I believe they compared it to the previous generation of Shunyata speaker cable, specifically.
You might want to go onto Audiogon and type in "Stillpoints." And be sure to do it by "recent" instead of "Relevance": a number of us have them on carpeted over wood floors and they work great.
Might I ask what you used them under, and what your results were? I've found that - as I said before - putting them under a component and just assessing that way, is not the way to go. Can I assume you used them under your speakers? Again, check Audiogon in the discussion forums, but most of us on the Stillpoints Ultra threads found you had to play with their placement. A LOT. I had an NAD C325BEE in the system at one point and it has vents over most of the bottom of the plate, so I had to move the Minis around. It worked, even in the vented area, but moving it even a shred (and I mean, A SHRED. As in, the tiniest visible nudge you could see yielded improvements, or, conversely, taking away from the refinement of the previous "nudge.") I found that having at least two of the Minis under the non-vented area was wiser, since they (the Stillpoints) require a completely firm connection to the component above them. I do know one or two guys who place the Ultra (the BIG ones) on top of their components.
And, so that is not a completely off-the-subject response, I agree with the original poster that the power cords' difference is more apparent than the signal cables. What I mean by that is, one should start with Shunyata's power cords first, and get the signal cables afterwards. I've had 3 generation of the speaker cables, and as it happened, I had the original (well, it was their 2nd or 3rd revision of it) Andromeda speaker cables (the really BIG ones, because, originally, the Andromeda were the middle of the line, but then they revised them, to a bigger (around 8 gauge) size than when the Andromeda were only the equivalent of 12 gauge size. I assume this was when they were the middle of the line, and not the top of the line, which the final versions of it became. I know whereof I speak: I had the 8 gauge and sold them (fool that I am) and now have the 12 gauge (I was curious how the smaller ones sounded, so I bought them. BIG difference let me tell you!). So, I had the (garden hose sized) speaker cable months before the power cords. And then, 3 months later I discovered - and bought - the power cords. Oy Gevalt! The mid bass was so obviously more powerful than whatever I had, that the sound transformed from a dynamic range of P-F to PPP-FFFF. I believe Roy Gregory also mentioned this in HiFi Plus, back in one of the 2004 issues, when comparing the King Cobras to Nordost's Valhalla power cords (which I still have). In fact, the original Shunyata were weighted towards the low bass-middle midrange. Upper mids and highs were softened (although not the transients which was strange that that was the case. Transients were explosive.)
So, for those experimenting, get the power cords first, and then the signal cables. Do it in reverse and you'll be shooting yourself in the foot. You won't 'get' what makes the Shunyata seem so realistic, as Mobiusman has discovered.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing