My personal journey to MY SONIC LAB

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
once a dear friend of mine who is also passionate about music reproduction accompanied me to Berlin during a concert at "La Philharmonie", leaving the hall he said to me: this hall is a little low on bass and the eardrums are a little dry...... For me the sound I had just listened to (Mahler the titan) was wonderful "De gustibus non disputandum est" (and his system is for me one of the best heard in my city)... In F 1 the car that wins is always the one that it was born with the best balance between engine and aerodynamics, then the set-up and aerodynamic load varies based on the track but no matter how hard the others try, it always wins. Even a hi-fi system, if assembled well from the start, is the one that is most capable of highlighting the characteristics of an out of the ordinary device. I don't know your system and your listening room and if it's okay for you to load the MSL at 50 ohm, far be it from me to dispute your statement, my clarification is based only on what is prescribed in the MSL installation manual.
Very true and on this I agree.

Many cartridges I have tried in my system was supposed to be loaded with both 2-3-400 ohms, but it always sounded bright, sharp, edge’y, and lack of bass with that high impedance.

Having an all designed Dan D’Agostino amplification here, I have found that even the most analytical cartridges works best with a lot lower impedance here than in other systems. I have got this verified first hand by the swedish Lyra cartridge dealer, that could not believe his Lyra Atlas could sound so good, in the way it did here with that low impedance. So it is quite remarkable.

Same goes for Ortofon, Soundsmith, Koetsu, MSL, Shure, Nagaoka, AirTight, Miyajima, to name a few..

Hope you find the right loding for your MSL in your system and that it will sound great! Enjoy your music.

/ Jk

Reactions: Massimo66

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Very true and on this I agree.

Many cartridges I have tried in my system was supposed to be loaded with both 2-3-400 ohms, but it always sounded bright, sharp, edge’y, and lack of bass with that high impedance.

Having an all designed Dan D’Agostino amplification here, I have found that even the most analytical cartridges works best with a lot lower impedance here than in other systems. I have got this verified first hand by the swedish Lyra cartridge dealer, that could not believe his Lyra Atlas could sound so good, in the way it did here with that low impedance. So it is quite remarkable.

Same goes for Ortofon, Soundsmith, Koetsu, MSL, Shure, Nagaoka, AirTight, Miyajima, to name a few..

Hope you find the right loding for your MSL in your system and that it will sound great! Enjoy your music.

/ Jk
Jk, I’m curious about which Soundsmith you tried and what turned out to be its preferred loading in your setup. Thanks

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Jk, I’m curious about which Soundsmith you tried and what turned out to be its preferred loading in your setup. Thanks
Soundsmith - The Voice… 75 Ohm was my prefered loading, if I remember correct.

/ Jk

Danielaruso

Mar 11, 2024
East Coast
fwiw, i had a PC1 supreme and went to MSL Platinum. Huge game changer. More articulate, lively and engaging. In comparison, the PC1 was boring for me

Reactions: Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing