Audio Note Kondo IO-XP cartridge

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Unfortunately I cannot read anything about the new Kondo cartridge.
Nobody uses it in his system?
Any listening experiences and comparisons to other excellent Japanese cartridges like Koetsu stonebody, MSL signature platinum, Air Tight, Sumile, Etsuro, Phasemation 2000 or 5000?

Thanks a lot for any input.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I heard io-xp a couple times. If you don’t have a full Kondo setup especially the matching SFz SUT going with MSL or Air Tight makes more sense IMHO.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Johan K

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Unfortunately I cannot read anything about the new Kondo cartridge.
Nobody uses it in his system?
Any listening experiences and comparisons to other excellent Japanese cartridges like Koetsu stonebody, MSL signature platinum, Air Tight, Sumile, Etsuro, Phasemation 2000 or 5000?

Thanks a lot for any input.

IMHO its one of the most magical and superb cartridge you can buy.
i have a lot of CR's in my collection and the Kondo IO-XP always bring joy and something special to the table (pun intended)
sure you have to consider a perfect match SUT or phono stage for it.

A

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Byrdparis, is there a kind of magic, that you don’t find with Etsuro Gold and Sumile? Do you like the IO-XP even without matching SFz SUT (at least i don’t find it in your list of gear) more and even “more magical” than your other really outstanding cartridges?
But maybe you can have very good results with CH P1+X1, as Gian60 reported many years ago too, when he had compared Kondo to CH….

I don’t have actually the Kondo environment, but would start this journey with IO-XP and SFz, later with some of the better Kondo MM phono stages, integrated in my otherwise all Zanden Classic system.
But maybe it is a too big investment, and I should instead look for ”normal”, not so special and “it’s-own-surrounding-demanding” cartridge?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Byrdparis, is there a kind of magic, that you don’t find with Etsuro Gold and Sumile? Do you like the IO-XP even without matching SFz SUT (at least i don’t find it in your list of gear) more and even “more magical” than your other really outstanding cartridges?
But maybe you can have very good results with CH P1+X1, as Gian60 reported many years ago too, when he had compared Kondo to CH….

I don’t have actually the Kondo environment, but would start this journey with IO-XP and SFz, later with some of the better Kondo MM phono stages, integrated in my otherwise all Zanden Classic system.
But maybe it is a too big investment, and I should instead look for ”normal”, not so special and “it’s-own-surrounding-demanding” cartridge?
its probably have some different kind of bloom you can get from the Kondo, its has like a uniq drive and paise to it... don't get me wrong the sumile, the gold or the RS are amazing. also my AIDAS GOLD and everything else, i am using my RS at the moment almost exclusive!
but it also need a very delicate choice of Phono stage and impedance to sound just right. they are all top live CR so in the end, if you have like a really good phono stage and some SUT you can play with a lot of them 99% of the time.

yes, i'm using at the moment the P1 (and with the RS with a SUT from CSPORT).... so a lot of different CR are working with zero problem
the kondo works perfect with my P1. but some ppl like the SFZ more connecting to the MM inputs vs the current input... its a matter of taste and system i guess (music taste also...? )
i am waiting for my Aries Cerat new phono stage. it will have two dedicated SUT inside of him... i guess one will be fit to the kondo specs
and one for the RS.... (but they will fits others with the ability to change impadance very easily ... and i have more on hand. not to mentioned the CHP P1 that will always be here.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Do you like the IO-XP even without matching SFz SUT (at least i don’t find it in your list of gear) more and even “more magical” than your other really outstanding cartridges?
I compared CH X1+P1 combo against Kondo SFz+MM phono. I did it two times with different Kondo and CH units at different setups. Cartridge was Kondo IO-M and top ZYX. Kondo combo was significantly better in terms of musical enjoyment, fullness and dynamics. Both owners of X1+P1 combos sold theirs immediately and switched to Kondo. Both setups were all Kondo with Ongaku. Maybe it played a part at the final decision.

I don’t have enough experience with IO-XP. I heard it at local distributor a couple of times and at Kondo factory but I listened now-discontinued IO-M thousands of hours. It is a very nice cartridge. The most important Kondo piece is not the cartridge, it’s the SFz SUT and second is MM phono. IMHO get a SFz especially the one with 1ohm, 3ohm and 40ohm and use it whatever cartridge you want.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I compared CH X1+P1 combo against Kondo SFz+MM phono. I did it two times with different Kondo and CH units at different setups. Cartridge was Kondo IO-M and top ZYX. Kondo combo was significantly better in terms of musical enjoyment, fullness and dynamics. Both owners of X1+P1 combos sold theirs immediately and switched to Kondo. Both setups were all Kondo with Ongaku. Maybe it played a part at the final decision.

I don’t have enough experience with IO-XP. I heard it at local distributor a couple of times and at Kondo factory but I listened now-discontinued IO-M thousands of hours. It is a very nice cartridge. The most important Kondo piece is not the cartridge, it’s the SFz SUT and second is MM phono. IMHO get a SFz especially the one with 1ohm, 3ohm and 40ohm and use it whatever cartridge you want.

I think this is more of a choice between many good SS vs good valve phonos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing