DS Audio Grand Master + EMM Labs DS-EQ1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
if there´s no "naturalness", then what´s the point with it all!!??

it has a high retail margin and no phono. So you pay high to be part of an exclusive club. But at the price of the Grand Master the club feels a bit like hotel California

Reactions: Bso

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I thought of not replying as you clearly have quite a dislike, and I respect that but I will beg to disagree. I was almost going to get out of vinyl, after 45 years, this really revitalized my interest. I was not joining any club, and any of my friends, musical or audiophile, have been astounded by its performance.

Reactions: gds7368

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I haven’t heard DS 003 yet but a couple of my audio buddies did. They all agreed upon it’s sound characteristics are rather mechanical and plastic. It’s not harsh but not organic either. I don’t know whether that judgement is true or not. I’m looking forward to get a chance to audition a DS cartridge.
Could not disagree more.....The new DS 003 "system" is easily the best vinyl playback that's been in my system.....
Ever....it's the opposite of mechanical and plastic...not going to get into details, however I am thoroughly enjoying mine.
Cheers....

WickyMelb

Jul 23, 2021
I want to weigh into this debate as I bring both the benefit of my ears and a comparative experience. As an owner of the DS003 and equaliser I have also /b'd it in a dealers ultra high end system against a well known traditional and romantic Japanese cart brand at over twice the price.

The DS003 produces outstanding sound, with huge images and timbre. The 'top to bottom' coherency, size and fullness of instruments along with 3-d imaging was easily superior with the main difference being the string sounds being palpably richer and fuller in its rival, but especially in the bass there was no question around the DS 003 performance. It gave nothing away in tonality to its rival with both match for warmth and tonal colour. There is nothing 'mechanical' or 'plasticky' or even remotely 'digital' about the sound as others here have suggested.

I have no doubt there are other brands that do various things 'better' or more to 'preference', but at this price point especially, there is outstanding allround ability. Certainly I can endorse both Mr Kessler's and Mr Valin's comments on the DS 003 as being accurate to my experience. On my system I felt there was significant run in time and it benefits from playback with bass heavy tracks to speed this up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRJAZZ

WickyMelb

Jul 23, 2021
I think some of the members on this site should take it upon themselves to compare the following 3 cartridges in a shoot out, as perhaps they occupy the uppermost echelon in cartridge sound innovation, a comparison I have the most curiosity about Feel free to add to this list if you disagree.

1. DS Audio Grandmaster
2. DaVa Reference
3. Grado Epoch 3.

Regards,
WickyMelb

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think some of the members on this site should take it upon themselves to compare the following 3 cartridges in a shoot out, as perhaps they occupy the uppermost echelon in cartridge sound innovation, a comparison I have the most curiosity about Feel free to add to this list if you disagree.

1. DS Audio Grandmaster
2. DaVa Reference
3. Grado Epoch 3.

Regards,
WickyMelb

I am much more interested in Dava, basic or reference Vs vdh strad in a horn based system, and then any one of them against a vyger red sparrow in a horn based system. I will do it too. I have my gut about those but need to verify.

in a cone or planar system I have zero doubt I will prefer the Dava

Not sure how the DS occupies uppermost echelon especially as it restricts choice of phono, which IMO is a silly thing to do to an analog phile

Last edited:
Reactions: WickyMelb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing