DS Audio Grand Master + EMM Labs DS-EQ1

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Afraid not, and I know this is a DS thread, so I don't want to take it off topic.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

This is a very positive review of a relatively modestly priced cartridge. But, Jonathan, no sonic comparison to a conventional cartridge for us?

Last edited:

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
I’ve had mine for about a month and it is, indeed, a game changer. I have the Grand Master cartridge and the EMM SQE2 (version released late summer 2022) and it is awesome. I can’t find a downside. I previously ran a Top Wing Blue Dragon into a LampiZator MC2 Silver and the DSAudio is, to my ear and in my system, far the superior set up. Someone said something about making “vinyl sound like digital” and that is accurate - as far as noise (while the system still retains that “vinyl sound” that I love). I may be moving up to the top of the line EMM DSEQ-1 (I forget the nomenclature). Give it a try - I suspect there will be multiple more entrants into the equalizer mix.

Last edited:

thekong

May 10, 2012
I agree, the Grand Master is one of the best, if not the best cartridge, to my ears!

I was fortunate enough to have the chance to audition TLi’s Grand Master / SAT / Airforce Zero combo, and considered it one of the top two turntable systems that I have ever auditioned! The other being the Rockport Sirius III.

I can’t afford the Grand Master, but I am seriously considering the new W3.

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I’ve had mine for about a month and it is, indeed, a game changer. I have the Grand Master cartridge and the EMM SQE2 (version released late summer 2022) and it is awesome. I can’t find a downside. I previously ran a Top Wing Blue Dragon into a LampiZator MC2 Silver and the DSAudio is, to my ear and in my system, far the superior set up. Someone said something about making “vinyl sound like digital” and that is accurate - as far as noise (while the system still retains that “vinyl sound” that I love). I may be moving up to the top of the line EMM DSEQ-1 (I forget the nomenclature). Give it a try - I suspect there will be multiple more entrants into the equalizer mix.
BR549
I found the EMM DS-EQ2 startlingly good. It is worth listening to the EQ1 and see for yourself. You will not be hard done either way :)

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
Nice write up. Seems like An amazing advancement. I’m curious as to what the drawbacks are. Seems like many wouldn’t want to be tired to a preamp. What else?
Those who’ve heard it and went another direction, why did you decide this? I’m leaning going optical maybe next year.

Reactions: mikld

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I haven’t heard DS 003 yet but a couple of my audio buddies did. They all agreed upon it’s sound characteristics are rather mechanical and plastic. It’s not harsh but not organic either. I don’t know whether that judgement is true or not. I’m looking forward to get a chance to audition a DS cartridge.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I haven’t heard DS 003 yet but a couple of my audio buddies did. They all agreed upon it’s sound characteristics are rather mechanical and plastic. It’s not harsh but not organic either. I don’t know whether that judgement is true or not. I’m looking forward to get a chance to audition a DS cartridge.

perfect assessment. Tubes help it to some extent but generally the 003 and Master are artificial, lack of phono is a disadvantage. It is fine for many who are not into acoustic and listen through Magico type transducers as the lack of organic tone Is then less noticeable

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
They all agreed upon it’s sound characteristics are rather mechanical and plastic. It’s not harsh but not organic either. I don’t know whether that judgement is true or not. I’m looking forward to get a chance to audition a DS cartridge.

I disagree with this assessment, and four friends of mine (two of whom use Tannoy Westminster loudspeakers — not Magicos, and one of whom is a top turntable designer) who have switched over to DS Audio optical cartridges certainly would disagree with this assessment.

Reactions: wfojas and gds7368

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I disagree with this assessment, and four friends of mine (two of whom use Tannoy Westminster loudspeakers — not Magicos, and one of whom is a top turntable designer) who have switched over to DS Audio optical cartridges certainly would disagree with this assessment.

with tannoy and tubes the impact will be lessened. But if you heard more acoustic on it and compared to other carts with tube phono it will still be there. The DS audio will have more details then most except DaVa which might initially attract from other carts but the tone is fairly digital. In the tannoy system you mention the difference with Lampi Baltic is minimal despite digital playing lesser quality recordings from Tidal

Reactions: mtemur

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
with tannoy and tubes the impact will be lessened. But if you heard more acoustic on it and compared to other carts with tube phono it will still be there. The DS audio will have more details then most except DaVa which might initially attract from other carts but the tone is fairly digital. In the tannoy system you mention the difference with Lampi Baltic is minimal despite digital playing lesser quality recordings from Tidal

I am disagreeing that the DS Audio Sounds “mechanical” and “plastic” and “artificial.”

Having heard them now in numerous systems I stand by my views that:

1) I find them more natural and musical than the Lyra Atlas and Ortofon Anna and similar-sounding cartridges,

2) I prefer them to most MC cartridges except, generally, Air Tight Opus 1 and PC-1 Supreme and ZYXes and Koetsus, and

3) My only hesitation about them, consistently, is that they are not the last word in naturalness and musicality compared to, for example, Air Tight Opus 1 and PC-1 Supreme and ZYXes and Koetsus.

The bottom line, is while it is not the cartridge for me, I believe I simply like them more than you do. Perhaps a tube-based decoder will take them over the line for me personally.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am disagreeing that the DS Audio Sounds “mechanical” and “plastic” and “artificial.”

Having heard them now in numerous systems I stand by my views that:

1) I find them more natural and musical than the Lyra Atlas and Ortofon Anna and similar-sounding cartridges,

2) I prefer them to most MC cartridges except, generally, Air Tight Opus 1 and PC-1 Supreme and ZYXes and Koetsus, and

3) My only hesitation about them, consistently, is that they are not the last word in naturalness and musicality compared to, for example, Air Tight Opus 1 and PC-1 Supreme and ZYXes and Koetsus.

The bottom line, is while it is not the cartridge for me, I believe I simply like them more than you do. Perhaps a tube-based decoder will take them over the line for me personally.

so why do you like them if they are not the last word in natural ness? Not that koetsu are but anyway.

i don’t like Lyra atlas either. The lambda is the first Lyra I liked. And it needs a tube based phono. Maybe the no more available Lyra phono could work

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
so why do you like them if they are not the last word in natural ness?

Respectfully, because I am not nearly as “black and white” as you. I am describing where DS Audio sits in my personal preference ordering.

I don’t like them as much as my very favorite cartridges, but I like them more than many MC cartridges.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Respectfully, because I am not nearly as “black and white” as you. I am describing where DS Audio sits in my personal preference ordering.

I don’t like them as much as my very favorite cartridges, but I like them more than many MC cartridges.

ok, I agree there are many MC cartridges that are worse

Reactions: Ron Resnick

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
i don’t like Lyra atlas either. The lambda is the first Lyra I liked. And it needs a tube based phono. Maybe the no more available Lyra phono could work
I’m not a fan of Lyra cartridges either. I didn’t hear Atlas and others long enough to make a direct comparison with Lambda but Lambda sounds very good to my ears with SUT and tube phono.

I heard Lyra connoisseur phono many many times and you are right it has an incredibly sweet tone which would work well with Lyra cartridges.

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I won't suggest that anyone can be wrong, its merely opinion. I have always looked for 'natural' presentation that conveys emotion. The Grand Master has done that better than any source I have had in my system or heard in others. But just my two cents. I think if you are considering optical the best thing if possible, is to hear in your system with your musical tastes. I was startled the first time I heard it and have had no regrets in the past 18 months (I think thats how long I have had it :) ). To each their own.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@MJG did you not have both DS master and atlas lambda?

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
No, I had DS Audio W2 for about a year. After a direct comparison with the then newly introduced Lampizator Vinyl Phono MC I and Lyra Kleos I decided to leave the optical path for lack of natural and organic tone. Next steps were upgrades to Lyra Atlas Lambda SL and Aries Cerat Talos Reference II (phono). I could not be happier. No looking back.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing