Natural Sound

rando

Sep 22, 2019
This was more abrupt and complete than expected, Peter. Unaware how anyone could find a negative response to changes you and David have wrought. Even if the effect were less exceptional. Not just anyone can claim ownership a decommissioned museum piece sounding good as it looks.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
I’m gobsmacked.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This was more abrupt and complete than expected, Peter. Unaware how anyone could find a negative response to changes you and David have wrought. Even if the effect were less exceptional. Not just anyone can claim ownership a decommissioned museum piece sounding good as it looks.
You hit the nail on the head rando! Peter’s speakers are not only the extremely rare early British versions from late 50’s - early 60’s they’re also in mint condition. The cabinets are gorgeous the wood has beautiful color and sheen and all original. It took me close to 20 years to make them a pair and unlike late production Vitavox made for the Japapanese market this pair is truly museum quality. Of course the sound is also exceptional!

david

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
After years and years of evolution you’ve gone straight to the revolution Peter.

Bravo, a fittingly big move from a Bostonian guy. I’d been wondering how this was going to play out but hadn’t guessed at the corner horns but they do look like such a great fit.

An exciting way to start a new phase of living with fantastic horns and SET... wishing you many great years ahead of wonderful, natural sound and the beautiful music.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Wow!

What a paradigm shift. I know what you mean about tone and the Lamm electronics especially in the bass.

So different than the Magico/Pass combination. I understand the allure of the Magico and Pass. However, where you are now is so much more to my tastes that I can just imagine what you are experiencing!

Congratulations!

(P.S. If you have the air pump for the Micro in the basement , ensure you have a filter dryer in-line. Basements- even if the seem dry - are not - and you will cause a lot of issues with the precision pump and bearings of the micro. Learned through experience.........)

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
very interesting journey to read. From Pass Labs to Lamm, SME 30 to MS 8000, and Magico to Vivavox.
congrats!
Lamm is my dream gear. I heard once the LL2 reference with Ml2, it was the most satisfying combo i could have heard in my life. Fast, resolved, fluent and so natural and right.
LL1 signature must be something.

Reactions: PeterA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: christoph

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Rando, I consider myself extremely lucky to be in a position to enjoy this system. It has been a rather educational couple of years and full of change. One of my vdH Colibris is on its way to the Netherlands to be adjusted for the new high efficiency system. I also plan to hear some moving magnet cartridges. It is an extremely exciting time in my listening room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much, Peter, for this beautifully written and chronicled journey. It is a very rare audiophile who after building, fine-tuning and enjoying for decades a certain type of system with consistent component topologies does not succumb to psychological inertia, unconsciously suppress cognitive dissonance, and inadvertently practice close-mindedness. I commend your openness to new ideas, your desire to learn, your dedication to research and experimentation, and your fluid willingness to re-examine long-held sonic and topological preferences. Your confidence in your own hearing, developed and honed by frequent exposure to, and enjoyment of, live, unamplified music, was essential to this process.

It is interesting how you write again and again of the realistic and natural tone produced by this new system. I think natural tone may be one of the hallmarks of vintage systems.

Congratulations on this new system! May it connect you emotionally to your favorite recordings for many years to come!

And congratulations to David for orange pilling Peter to the natural sound of vintage audio!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It's certainly a hallmark of Lamm electronics.
And dont forget the natural sounding paper cones used in most horns .
A lot of modern speakers today have the perfect piston /non flexing /hard membranes philosophy .

A lot of them miss the natural dampning paper provides causing listening fatigue .

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
"I think natural tone may be one of the hallmarks of vintage systems."

- the best midbass, integration, speed, also is available in some of the oldest of horns. The drivers were very conducive to moving quickly with very low watt amps that made the immediacy of the system much more. Also in terms of details and transparency and highs it is difficult to beat some vintage drivers like TAD.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing