New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Just stumbled into this picture. Look at those biceps, I mean, KD's... :D No contest.

View attachment 11592

Unfortunately, if muscles were everything, bodybuilders would be the best athletes :) Size doesn't necessarily matter in this case ;)

Unfortunately, if muscles were everything, bodybuilders would be the best athletes :) Size doesn't necessarily matter in this case ;)

Though KD obviously got 'shackled' and chained by the brawnier James in that series. KD should try to gain more 'upper body muscles' then. :)

Basketball humor for the day.

image.jpg

What's Metta been smoking?

Metta World Peace: “The Lakers are going to go to the NBA Finals”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....to-the-nba-finals/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

By comparison, the writer who said that the Celtics would win the Atlantic Division this season was just taking his daily oatmeal. :) But as a fan, you gotta be hopeful - that's one of the definitions of a fan. You see light in darkness, and you see your defense improving even if get walloped by 20 points. :D

I feel for coach Popovich. That was the most painful loss for me (Game 6 specially) outside of a Celtics Finals loss. I know how he could have felt, a lost worse that I can imagine. Spurs still have solid material in and out and should figure well in the playoffs again.

Gregg Popovich’s recovery from Game 6 began with his daughter telling ‘poor Greggy’ to get over himself

Dan Devine
Dan Devine September 19, 2013 10:40 AM Ball Don't Lie

The apple, it seems, does not fall far from the tree. (Gary Dineen/NBAE/Getty Images)

The San Antonio Spurs will open training camp in less than two weeks, beginning anew the pursuit of a fifth NBA title under the leadership of all-time star Tim Duncan and legendary coach Gregg Popovich. Doing so, however, will require finally and officially moving on from the painful end of last season's pursuit, which saw the Spurs fall to the Miami Heat in a hard-fought seven-game NBA Finals for the ages.

The Spurs, as you surely remember, were mere seconds away from knocking off the defending champions in South Beach in Game 6, with Heat fans heading for the exits in droves before Ray Allen brought Miami back from the brink by sucker-punching all of San Antonio to force overtime. Miami would pull away in the extra session, extending the Finals to Game 7 and opening the door to all manner of second-guessing over the veteran Spurs' late-game mistakes and, more specifically, Popovich's decision to remove Duncan — his best rim protector and rebounder — from the game in the final 20 seconds to be able to more effectively switch Miami's pick-and-rolls and guard the perimeter with the contest in the balance.

A coach with as much experience, belief in his process and commitment to his convictions as Pop doesn't lose sleep over questions of his methodology; as he told Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express-News, he doesn't regret sitting Duncan because "You do what you do to win the game." But that doesn't mean he's completely over that fateful night in the AmericanAirlines Arena:

“I think about Game 6 every day,” Popovich said. “Without exception. I think about every play. I can see LeBron's first shot, and the rebound, and the second ...”

Then he paused and said, “I've been quite lugubrious.”

Lugubrious?

“As sad as you can possibly be.”

Evidently, though, Pop's daughter Jill found her father's summertime blues (which we're sure included many repeat listens to "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" and no fewer than three early Cure LPs) quite tiresome — and, as Henry tells it, she let him know so "with a personality she clearly gets from her father."

“OK, Dad, let me get this straight: You won four championships, and you go to a fifth Finals. Other coaches lose all the time. But poor Greggy can't lose because he's special. Can you please get over yourself? End of story.”

He stared at her — then started laughing. Hadn't his daughter told him the same get-over-yourself line he's told so many others?

“That started me on the path to recovery,” he said.

Color me shocked that a young woman raised by Gregg Popovich would have little tolerance for "woe is me" energy-wasting. She sounds like quite the chip off the old block; between Jill's "get over yourself" speech and wife Erin's noted disdain for her husband's treatment of sideline reporters, it seems pretty clear that the primary form of affection shared in the Popovich household falls under the category of "tough love." (We're sure it's totally unconditional, though.)

Jill, of course, has a point. As brutal as the ending of Game 6 was — and the close to Game 7 wasn't much easier, now that I think of it — it still came in the sort of situation that's the envy of every other team in the league, because 28 other squads and their fan bases were watching it all unfold from their homes or from some early vacation destination. Popovich's tenure in San Antonio has been almost unfathomably successful, thanks in large part to the good fortune of having one of the greatest big men of all time fall in his lap in the summer of 1997. (And one of the best point guards of his generation do the same in the summer of 2001. And one of the best guards in the history of international basketball do the same in the fall of 2002. And so on.)

Pop, to his credit, is very aware of that; sometimes, it just takes a swift kick in the pants to remind us how lucky we've been. And if the one delivering it is someone who developed her form by watching your particular brand of grump-fu over the years, well, then, so much the better. Now, it's time for the coach, his (somewhat reconfigured) staff and their players to put the past behind them and focus on the future. Apparently, the entire Popovich family wants some nasty ... or, at the very least, no more whinin'.

Pop listens to Morrissey and The Cure? I like hime even more! :D

NBA news roundup: No timetables for Andrew Bynum

will he ever play again or just go from team to team collecting paychecks and being on the IR list

By Jason Patt, SB Nation

Cleveland Cavaliers general manager Chris Grant said Monday that while Andrew Bynum is progressing well after undergoing two surgeries on his knees in March, there's currently no timetable for his return, according to Mary Schmitt Boyer of The Plain Dealer.

Grant applauded all the work that Bynum has put in, saying the big man has shown more commitment than most players he has seen in 20 years. Grant understands the risk that came with signing Bynum, but there's cautious optimism the 25-year-old can make it back to the court and return to form as one of the NBA's best centers.

Cavs coach Mike Brown also offered an update on Bynum, saying the center is currently running on treadmills but isn't cleared for contact, according to Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal. Brown went on to say he believes Bynum could still become one of the best centers not only in the NBA today, but ever.

With Cavs training camp just a week away, it's almost a certainty that Bynum won't be ready for it. However, Grant and Brown don't seem all too worried about it, and they would both rather see Bynum take his time and make sure he's as healthy as possible before he returns to the court.

NBA news roundup: No timetables for Andrew Bynum

will he ever play again or just go from team to team collecting paychecks and being on the IR list

By Jason Patt, SB Nation

Cleveland Cavaliers general manager Chris Grant said Monday that while Andrew Bynum is progressing well after undergoing two surgeries on his knees in March, there's currently no timetable for his return, according to Mary Schmitt Boyer of The Plain Dealer.

Grant applauded all the work that Bynum has put in, saying the big man has shown more commitment than most players he has seen in 20 years. Grant understands the risk that came with signing Bynum, but there's cautious optimism the 25-year-old can make it back to the court and return to form as one of the NBA's best centers.

Cavs coach Mike Brown also offered an update on Bynum, saying the center is currently running on treadmills but isn't cleared for contact, according to Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal. Brown went on to say he believes Bynum could still become one of the best centers not only in the NBA today, but ever.

With Cavs training camp just a week away, it's almost a certainty that Bynum won't be ready for it. However, Grant and Brown don't seem all too worried about it, and they would both rather see Bynum take his time and make sure he's as healthy as possible before he returns to the court.

Hard to believe anyone would give big $$$ to Bynum. May or may not have knees, definitely has no heart.

"RIGGIN FOR WIGGINS". Deepest draft in years is still one year away. All eyes on who will be the lucky 7 at the end of this coming season. Celtics with so many 1st rounders, could trade up just to get into the magic 7, assuming they don't land there themselves by their own 'power'.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...big-board-2014-andrew-wiggins/?sct=nba_t11_a2

Posted: Thu September 26, 2013 11:44AM; Updated: Thu September 26, 2013 11:37AM
Chris Mannix
Chris Mannix>INSIDE THE NBA
More ColumnsEmail Chris Mannix
2014 NBA Big Board: Wiggins leads deepest draft in years

Howard may be ready to 'fly', finally. Pressure now seems to be on McHale to develop a consistent playing pattern on both ends. Houston has a great tradition for NBA titles too, and this should spur them to higher grounds.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/howard-healthy-talking-titles-houston-203350862--nba.html

Howard healthy and talking titles in Houston

KRISTIE RIEKEN (AP Sports Writer) 53 minutes ago AP - Sports

HOUSTON (AP) -- New Rocket Dwight Howard is healthy and talking about bringing a championship to Houston.

''We have an opportunity to do something special if we stay together and stay focused,'' Howard said Friday on the eve of Houston's training camp.

He was slowed last year after offseason back surgery, which played a part in a disappointing and difficult season with the Lakers. The center's signing propelled the James Harden-led Rockets from a young and talented group to immediate contenders.

''For me, being healthy, I think it's going to bring back a lot of the things that I've done in the past,'' Howard said. ''I'm very excited about it.''

The Rockets gave him a four-year deal worth about $88 million, a year less and far below the $118 million the Lakers could have offered. But Howard was ready for a fresh start after a tumultuous time in Los Angeles, which included an admission that there were times that he wasn't having fun and what many believed to be a strained relationship with Kobe Bryant.

He wasn't interested in talking too much about last season, but acknowledged the difficulties of the year.

''It happened,'' he said. ''It's over with. It didn't work out on both sides, so we have to move on.''

Then he raved about the relationships he's already built with his new teammates and his excitement about playing on such a young, energetic team.

''I'm in a better place mentally, spiritually and physically,'' Howard said.

Howard, point guard Jeremy Lin and Harden were among several players who spent time in Aspen, Colo. in the offseason working with Houston great Hakeem Olajuwon. Howard and Lin separately relayed a story about a time during the workouts where Lin lobbed a bad and high pass intended for Howard.
View gallery."
CORRECTS IDS - Houston Rockets players, from left, Chandler Parsons, Dwight Howard, James Harden and …

Lin immediately began to apologize for the errant throw, but there was no need. Howard jumped up to grab it and dunked it with ease.

''I was like: 'Oh, wow. OK, that's good for me,''' Lin said of that moment. ''He makes my job easier.''

Howard chuckled as he recalled the play.

''He was in shock that I actually caught it because he hasn't seen that and it's been a while since I was able to do that kind of stuff,'' Howard said. ''So I think my health is coming back. I'm getting some of the bounce back in my legs. It takes a while to recover from back surgery.''

The Rockets reached the playoffs for the first time since 2009 last season and battled back from a 3-0 deficit before being eliminated by the Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 6.

Harden went from being a sixth man with the Thunder to bona fide star in Houston. He's looking forward to doing even more with the addition of Howard.

''We have all the right pieces,'' Harden said. ''We have a lot of talent in that locker room. We have no more excuses. We're just trying build on what we did last season.''

General manager Daryl Morey believes pairing Howard with Harden gives Houston its best chance to win since the team featured Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

''We have two top-10 players in the league,'' Morey said. ''They have to continue to prove that, but both of them have played at extremely high levels. In the league you've got to have at least one and it's great to have two like we have now playing at an elite level. Then you have guys who can play a role and play it well around them.''

The Rockets are also looking forward to the possibility of playing Howard and last year's starting center, 7-foot Omer Asik, at the same time.

''Our focus as a team is on the defensive end,'' Howard said. ''(Omer and I) have an opportunity to really mess up a lot of teams on the defensive end because of our presence.''

Houston coach Kevin McHale noted the development of Lin in his first season in Houston. A year removed from ''Linsanity'' in New York, McHale thinks Lin made great progress in his first full season in the NBA after playing just 64 games combined in his first two seasons.

Lin isn't comfortable with being the focal point of a team and enjoys having a lower profile on a team with featuring Howard and Harden.

''From a personal standpoint, there's a lot less pressure this season,'' Lin said. ''I've had such a wide spectrum of literally no expectations to having every expectation. Now it's kind of going back down to some lower expectations.''

Howard can talk the talk as well as walk the walk but honestly does anyone here feel that Houston can win it all this year? I for one don't. There are far too many great teams in the East as well as in the west

Howard can talk the talk as well as walk the walk but honestly does anyone here feel that Houston can win it all this year? I for one don't. There are far too many great teams in the East as well as in the west

Same here and the damned Heat looks as awesome as usual plus they may have that kid who looks like an old man as potential center.. Can anyone say 3-peat and hate themselves for even thinking so :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu