New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Magic was a pg at Mich State and Nixon (who I think dated all the Pointer Sisters at once for awhile -- Go Norm!) was the shooting guard the day Magic showed up. That said, for the Heat, it allways should have been the offense running thru Lebron and Wade isolating as necessary in crunch time. One of the crimes -- and this points to a severe lack of imagination -- of Mike Browm is that the Cavs never ran a motion offense with Lebron at the helm. What a waste! Their best year was when Kuester implemented some of this as an assistant there, but he was gone at the end is now out of a job after the mess in Detriot.

Here's an interesting read which goes along with Lee's post the other day

http://www.thepostgame.com/features...choker-champ-sport-psychologist-has-game-plan

That's about pressure. And how bout pressure on the coaches, not only the players? I have been amazed and impressed with the way some coaches handle pressure on the court. Phil Jackson is one of the calmest I've seen, though he can explode in a whiff when the refs make bad calls. Sometimes I wonder, in fantasy land, if I can ever survive being a coach in a championship game. The intensity to call a play with 3 seconds left for a winning basket. Can the coach even think? I don't want to be in those shoes, and 20 something thousand people are all looking at you in the huddle. On the other hand, I wonder how a coach like Bobby Knight handles pressure? Get those portable chairs away from him. ;)

From nba.com

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/06/17/our-fab-five-all-time-nba-teams/#?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Posted by Fran Blinebury

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – There’s nothing like a list to get everyone stirred up and there’s nothing that Hang Time likes to do more than provide the straw that does the stirring.

So first we’ll provide with what the good folks at The Sporting News – continuing their 125th anniversary celebration – are calling their Top 10 NBA teams of all time.

But that’s the easy task. We here at Hang Time will do the heavy lifting and boil that down to our Top Five, including some changes:

No. 1: 1996 Chicago Bulls – Nobody’s really going to argue with the consensus top choice, are they? Michael Jordan fresh out of retirement and at the top of his game, joined by fellow future Hall of Famers Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman, the Bulls set the NBA record with 72 wins and outscored opponents by an average of 12.2 per game. These Bulls knew they were going to win every time they walked onto the court and usually were right.

No. 2: 1967 Philadelphia 76ers – It was a much smaller NBA back then, a more rugged, tougher league and the toughest thing about it was that you had to go through Bill Russell and the Boston Celtics. These Sixers did it with a lineup of three members of the NBA’s 50 Greatest in Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham and a roster that also included Chet Walker, Luke Jackson, Wali Jones and Matt Guokas. They rolled to a 68-13 record, took out the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals and beat the Warriors with Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond in The Finals.

No. 3: 1986 Boston Celtics – They had five future Hall of Famers – Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson and Bill Walton – who played with an intelligence that matched their intensity and confidence. Walton was able to finally shake off years of foot problems to back up Parish and Walton’s passing skills seemed to take Bird to an even higher level. The Celtics rolled to an NBA record 40-1 home mark during the regular season and by the time they reached The Finals against a young and powerful Houston team with Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson, the outcome was practically a foregone conclusion.

No. 4: 1987 Los Angeles Lakers – With all due respect to the 1972 Lakers and their record 33-game winning streak, they and the NBA never had anything like a 6-foot-9 point guard in Magic Johnson. With Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and James Worthy, this is was the season the Lakers went 65-17, won 10 of 11 playoff games in the first three rounds and had a relatively easy time beating Bird and the Celtics in The Finals 4-2. Magic’s baby sky hook won Game at Boston Garden to send them on their way and, when it was over, Pat Riley promised the Lakers would win it again the next year. And they did.

No. 5: 1965 Boston Celtics – Including coach Red Auerbach, there were eight Hall of Famers in the locker room – Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Sam Jones, K.C. Jones, Satch Sanders, Tom Heinsohn and a rookie named John Thompson. Sam Jones averaged 25.9 points per game to lead the way. But this was a Celtics team that was all about defense with K.C. Jones at the point and Russell in the middle. Russell averaged 24.1 rebounds per game. They handled the Lakers easily in The Finals, 4-1.

Time to do your own stirring. Send us your top 5.

this one will get your eyes rolling Ron

EL SEGUNDO – Lakers forward Matt Barnes exercised his option to extend his contract for the 2011-12 season, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

Barnes, signed by the Lakers as a free agent on July 22, 2010, averaged 6.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 19.2 minutes over 53 games last season.

Originally selected by the Memphis Grizzlies in the second round (46th overall pick) of the 2002 NBA Draft, Barnes has averaged 7.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 497 career games.

Steve, that was expected.

Re the proposed trade, the thinking is the Lakers need much improved perimeter defense, which is undoubtedly true, and in particular against the likes of LeBron, D. Wade & K.D.

Steve, that was expected.

Re the proposed trade, the thinking is the Lakers need much improved perimeter defense, which is undoubtedly true, and in particular against the likes of LeBron, D. Wade & K.D.

I can't argue with that Ron. I just never read that and I am usually fairly up to date with the rumor talk. I think that is what you lawyers call "blindsided" :)

No real power trades yesterday. The only one which caught my however was

The Trail Blazers traded guard Rudy Fernandez and the draft rights to Petteri Koponento (No. 30, 2007) to the Dallas Mavericks. The Trail Blazers also received the draft rights to Tanguy Ngombo (No. 57)

The Trail Blazers traded guard Rudy Fernandez and the draft rights to Petteri Koponento (No. 30, 2007) to the Dallas Mavericks. The Trail Blazers also received the draft rights to Tanguy Ngombo (No. 57)

In exchange for who Stevie?

So synergy is more important in basketball than individual components ey? ;)

Right now, I'm a bit worried at the looming lock out. Stern was being boo'ed a lot by the audience in yesterday's draft. I really don't know why. The owners and players seem miles apart from a deal and by November, we might have nothing to watch. I read the NFL is presently on lock out mode so we might not see any football too in the coming months.

Another 3 point shooter in Fernandez. But, I read that Barea may be seeking greener pastures.

How about this one.......

Lakers' Artest wants to change name to Metta World Peace

Posted Jun 23 2011 7:46PM - Updated Jun 24 2011 11:33AM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest wants to change his name to Metta World Peace.

Artest's attorney filed a petition in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday seeking the change. The 31-year-old NBA star was born Ronald William Artest Jr.
In the court documents, Artest cites personal reasons for wanting to make the change.
An Aug. 26 court date was set to consider the petition.
The petition filing was first reported by celebrity website TMZ.
Artest's career has been filled with ups and downs. He helped the Lakers win the NBA championship a year ago and in April he received an award for outstanding service and dedication to the community.
He has testified before Congress to support mental health legislation.
Artest may be best known for triggering the most notorious brawl in NBA history when he jumped into the stands and attacked a fan while playing for the Indiana Pacers in November 2004. He was suspended for the rest of that season.
Artest wouldn't be the first NBA player to make a change to an unusual name.
Lloyd Bernard Free, who played in the league from 1975-88, had his first name legally changed to World in 1981. A friend had given him the nickname because of his 44-inch vertical leaps and 360-degree dunks.
In the NFL, Cincinnati Bengals star Chad Johnson legally changed his last name to Ochocinco in August 2008. The name means "eight five" in Spanish.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu