New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

DESPITE what the pundits like to say, Lebron has had better talent than MJ. The best MJ had during his quest for his 6 championships was Pippen who was nothing before MJ, nothing when MJ retired for baseball and nothing after MJ. When I see Cowherd, a Lebron sycophant start listing "Luke Longley" as a "great" that MJ had that Lebron lacked I have to laugh. Luke Longley sucked. The second best player he had during his drive was Rodman, a great role player for the game back then. Compare the "talent" MJ had to those that Lebron has had and it isn't close.

I finally saw (75%) of the clip of Colin Cowherd proclaiming 3 areas where Lebron has clearly beater MJ. It was on the related videos section and not that I was searching for it. :)

1. Better elimination games record.
2. Lesser teammates.
3. Finals attendance.

And he even made a giant certificate with him signing it. :D I have to believe he is NOT serious as these claims are not only comical but ridiculous. I know see your point in him saying Luc Longley as a great player. Compare that to Chris Bosh who grabbed a missed shot and whipped it to the 3 point king Ray Allen who, had he missed his 3, would have San Antonio celebrating in the Heat's home floor. Amazingly, Shannon Sharpe also vehemently insists that LeBron had lesser talent around him than Jordan.

I finally saw (75%) of the clip of Colin Cowherd proclaiming 3 areas where Lebron has clearly beater MJ. It was on the related videos section and not that I was searching for it. :)

2. Lesser teammates.
3. Finals attendance.

And he even made a giant certificate with him signing it. :D I have to believe he is NOT serious as these claims are not only comical but ridiculous. I know see your point in him saying Luc Longley as a great player. Compare that to Chris Bosh who grabbed a missed shot and whipped it to the 3 point king Ray Allen who, had he missed his 3, would have San Antonio celebrating in the Heat's home floor. Amazingly, Shannon Sharpe also vehemently insists that LeBron had lesser talent around him than Jordan.

I’ve felt for years (and think I’ve said so here a few times) that LeBron is the most physically talented player ever. As for MJ comparisons, LeB came into the league with better (and elite) court vision than Michael ever had. The obvious deficiency vs Michael was insane competitive fire but LeB has grown masssively in that era.

Couple other things: I think it’s unquestinable that LBJ is playing with less talent than MJ, but also unquestionable is that the Celts (at this point in time) etc are not in the same league as the Pistons, Knicks and Cavs of yore — those were great teams. Beating GS (a great team) would be monumental and unparalleled this yr IMO given the supporting cast he has.

Lastly and vastly (by some) underrated is just how good Pippen was — Gary Payton said of at least one Bulls team, SP was the best player on it. And if not for the infamous Trent Tucker (non) foul, Pippen would have taken his Bulls team to the finals.

2. Lesser teammates.
3. Finals attendance.

Sharpe is clueless and Cowherd a Lebron sycophant. First point to remember about Jordan. He did it with ONE team, won 6 championships with ONE team and didn't shop Championship teams like KD and Lebron. Jordan made everyone better. Not that I agree with anything Cowherd has to say with this comparison BUT if there was any truth to Lebron having "lesser players" than MJ it's because Lebron makes all the great players he is surrounded with much worse to look mediocre no matter how great they were before Lebron whereas MJ took all his mediocre players much better

Lebron plays in a league with new rules and new style of play optimized for him whereas MJ played in a league stacked against him, with just ONE team and won 6 championships.

Cowherd is out of his mind.

I’ve felt for years (and think I’ve said so here a few times) that LeBron is the most physically talented player ever. As for MJ comparisons, LeB came into the league with better (and elite) court vision than Michael ever had. The obvious deficiency vs Michael was insane competitive fire but LeB has grown masssively in that era.

Couple other things: I think it’s unquestinable that LBJ is playing with less talent than MJ, but also unquestionable is that the Celts (at this point in time) etc are not in the same league as the Pistons, Knicks and Cavs of yore — those were great teams. Beating GS (a great team) would be monumental and unparalleled this yr IMO given the supporting cast he has.

Lastly and vastly (by some) underrated is just how good Pippen was — Gary Payton said of at least one Bulls team, SP was the best player on it. And if not for the infamous Trent Tucker (non) foul, Pippen would have taken his Bulls team to the finals.

Lebron shops championship teams and chooses his teams based on those surrounding him. You greatly overstate Pippen's capabilities without MJ. As I have said before, he was nothing before and nothing after MJ but a good player. His greatness came from MJ not separate from it. Had Ray Allen not made that amazing 3 point shot, Lebron would have lost with one of the greatest teams ever as long as you want to talk about unique circumstances like Trent Tucker foul.

To claim that Lebron has had less talent surrounding him is absurd.

Lebron shops championship teams and chooses his teams based on those surrounding him. You greatly overstate Pippen's capabilities without MJ. As I have said before, he was nothing before and nothing after MJ but a good player. His greatness came from MJ not separate from it. Had Ray Allen not made that amazing 3 point shot, Lebron would have lost with one of the greatest teams ever as long as you want to talk about unique circumstances like Trent Tucker foul.

To claim that Lebron has had less talent surrounding him is absurd.

The issue at hand (I thought) is simply who is more talented (LBJ IMO as noted), not whether they joined other teams, did embarrassing things like ‘The Decision’ , etc.

We absolutely disagree on surrounding casts — was thinking about the Cavs team there, MJ never won with so little, didn’t have to.

Complete disagreement on Pippen as well. While not MJ/LBJ caliber obviously, he is a very legit hall of famer. Phenomenal athlete, defender (could cover any position), floor manager, scorer when necessary and more.

To compare a great shot by a great shooter to a completely ridiculous foul call (the ball was three feet out of Tucker’s hand when the phantom touch foul happened) defines false equivalence.

The issue at hand (I thought) is simply who is more talented (LBJ IMO as noted), not whether they joined other teams, did embarrassing things like ‘The Decision’ , etc.

We absolutely disagree on surrounding casts — was thinking about the Cavs team there, MJ never won with so little, didn’t have to.

Complete disagreement on Pippen as well. While not MJ/LBJ caliber obviously, he is a very legit hall of famer. Phenomenal athlete, defender (could cover any position), floor manager, scorer when necessary and more.

To compare a great shot by a great shooter to a completely ridiculous foul call (the ball was three feet out of Tucker’s hand when the phantom touch foul happened) defines false equivalence.

Pippen never won without MJ and was OK at best without MJ. With MJ he was a star.

Every so called “mediocre” player Lebron has surrounded himself with including 5 if not more to be elected hall of famers all got much worse playing with Lebron. Despite his picking and choosing it took an amazing last microsecond shot by Allen to get him one of his 3 championships. You may not want to compare it because it mitigated your perspective but that shot was much more important to Lebron’s legacy than the foul was to Pippen.

Name all the “great” players MJ had? Pippen and Rodman?? You going to compare them to those Lebron either chose or chased away? You kidding me.

If Lebron played in MJ’s era where they played defense and closed the middle and hand checking was allowed he would be a much lesser player than he is in today’s game just as with so many others. As I said above today’s game is made for Lebron whereas MJ’s era was to make it impossible for great players to shine.

I could go on but this discussion has no winner as there will be those that believe in Lebron like you and those that believe in MJ like me.

This is just a minute and a half of talk, but such humility from the NBA's All time leading scorer. He has 6 rings too. But never in the GOAT conversation. I have mentioned somewhere in these pages, while growing up to play the game when I was in my teens, I was really in awe when I saw him play with the Bucks, then named Lew Alcindor with those sky hooks which I tried to duplicate but was like 10% of my shot I discarded it - he was my idol. I lost track of him till I saw him again battling the Celtics of Bird, McHale and Parish. Unstoppable? Of course, who could stop his sky hook? I know as a Celtics fan my goat vote should go to Bill Russell for his 11 rings but I never saw him play in my time, so deep inside, my proxy goat is Lew Alcindor, aka Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Since Kareem mentioned this Russell video 'Block Art', I looked at it, and yeah, Russell is my real Goat. :D

This is just a minute and a half of talk, but such humility from the NBA's All time leading scorer. He has 6 rings too. But never in the GOAT conversation. I have mentioned somewhere in these pages, while growing up to play the game when I was in my teens, I was really in awe when I saw him play with the Bucks, then named Lew Alcindor with those sky hooks which I tried to duplicate but was like 10% of my shot I discarded it - he was my idol. I lost track of him till I saw him again battling the Celtics of Bird, McHale and Parish. Unstoppable? Of course, who could stop his sky hook? I know as a Celtics fan my goat vote should go to Bill Russell for his 11 rings but I never saw him play in my time, so deep inside, my proxy goat is Lew Alcindor, aka Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Yeah, still the most automatic shot in history. And did the same thing growing up, developed a hook shot partly because of Kareem.

One of the casualties of the 3 point era are the big guy battles down low: Kareem/Lanier/Parish/Walton etc Really miss them, game has less texture as a result. Won’t happen, but for several reasons, anytime they want to push the line out a foot and a half, I’m all for it.

Thanks for bringing this up. There is a legitimate argument to be made to be made for Kareem. I don't agree but he did play in an era where you were allowed to play defense and he did win 6 championships and he was a team player that made every single person he played with better.

Chris Paul ‘has already begun’ LeBron James recruitment - report

“Rest assured that the Rockets’ understandably devastated Chris Paul — who made a fast exit from Toyota Center late Monday night (Tuesday AEST) after being forced to watch the biggest game of his life from the bench because of his hamstring injury — has already begun his recruitment of James to Houston.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basket...k=5007bca3c015ed1fcc266a99024e846f-1527745404

This kind of 'news' never happened in the 'old' days. Imagine, Dr. J recruiting Larry Bird? Isiah Thomas recruiting Magic Johnson? :D

Chris Paul ‘has already begun’ LeBron James recruitment - report

“Rest assured that the Rockets’ understandably devastated Chris Paul — who made a fast exit from Toyota Center late Monday night (Tuesday AEST) after being forced to watch the biggest game of his life from the bench because of his hamstring injury — has already begun his recruitment of James to Houston.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basket...k=5007bca3c015ed1fcc266a99024e846f-1527745404

This kind of 'news' never happened in the 'old' days. Imagine, Dr. J recruiting Larry Bird? Isiah Thomas recruiting Magic Johnson? :D

EXACTLY

Those guys NEVER shopped for teams compared to these guys

And what happened to the salary cap and the luxury tax, that was supposed to maintain parity in the league? Warriors and Cavs this year have each a total salary of $137.6m, with cap at like $99m. OKC is third at $134m, and was a so-called smaller market which was why they let Harden walk in the Westbrook/KD time. Looks like the economy is booming in these areas. :)

20 teams spent over the salary cap in the 2017/2018 season , including the Celtics at $115,000,000 ;)

The league, the owners and the players are getting fat and happy with their latest TV contract.

With MLB and NFL losing popularity, the NBA is on the rise and not just in the USA but around the world.

Last edited:
20 teams spent over the salary cap in the 2017/2018 season , including the Celtics at $115,000,000 ;)

The league, the owners and the players are getting fat and happy with their latest TV contract.

With MLB and NFL losing popularity, the NBA is on the rise and not just in the USA but around the world.

I love these "salary caps" and salaries in general in pro sports. Normally I wouldn't care what anyone gets paid BUT in these cases where the public through taxes are funding a HUGE part of the arena these teams play in, the reality is that these players salaries as well as NBA/NFL/MLB profits are being subsidized with tax payer money. While I am usually not a big Ralph Nader fan, he did a great study of the supposed "financial benefits" these arenas bring to offset the cost and there was not one incidence where that occurred.

I understand its a simplistic evaluation but it is real and absurd that most people are clueless about

I don't think taxpayers should subsidize professional sports teams either.

However, it seems to me that more of the benefit of public subsidies accrue to the owners of the teams rather than the players......not that both groups don't get fat and happy.

I don't think taxpayers should subsidize professional sports teams either.

However, it seems to me that more of the benefit of public subsidies accrue to the owners of the teams rather than the players......not that both groups don't get fat and happy.

Well both benefit proportionally. If the state is subsidizing 40-50% of the arena the profits that go to the owners vs salaries are proportionally being subsidized. If a team leaves or an owner sells their should be payback. Then again, giving back 100s of millions to the government will just get flushed down the toilet

Well both benefit proportionally. If the state is subsidizing 40-50% of the arena the profits that go to the owners vs salaries are proportionally being subsidized. If a team leaves or an owner sells their should be payback. Then again, giving back 100s of millions to the government will just get flushed down the toilet

Check out the TED talks of OKC's Mayor. Very interesting take on growing a city and relevant to the topic at hand.

Check out the TED talks of OKC's Mayor. Very interesting take on growing a city and relevant to the topic at hand.

I think that may be a city that is likely an exception to my illustration. There have actually been a host of cities that gone through a renaissance as a result of some unique and creative (do I dare admit Government did good) Governemt intervention, particularly in Tennessee.

I get the point and don’t want to paint with a broad brush. I guess in major cities particularly major sports cities is where the biggest issues are. I think the Nader study was done in 2005 or 2006.

Surely here in South Fl we never see anywhere near close to what was promised as a result of new business stemming from these arenas. In fact in many cases, particularly American Airlines Arena Miami probably looses business as the lively surrounding areas are more difficult to access.

Yeah, C's had to spend on those contracts on Hayward and Irving, and sadly, they weren't able to play. And, lately, I read the owners of the C's agreed to spend more next season, presumably on a guy like Anthony Davis to 'really' compete for the title. :)

I see how the TV ratings are critical for the profitability of the teams and the league as a whole. David Stern planted made the blueprint and had it done years ago before passing the baton to Adam Silver. Phenomenal administrative and marketing job, but they've got to do something useful about reversing calls 'after' the game. It just doesn't feel right. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu