New amplifier for Tidal Piano G2

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Hello, I’m looking for some advise about a new amplifier - integrated of pre-power to drive my Tidal Piano G2.
i currently have a Vitus SIA-25, which has a touch of warmth and presence and the Piano’s have brought added resolution, detail particularly in the high frequencies.
whilst I’m happy with the sound overall, the bass can be a little slow and not as precise as I’d like.
I prefer a warmer rather than the lean side of neutral and listen to jazz, female vocal and classic rock...
Rest of the system in the signature
Vitus SIA-30, Pass XP30/XA100.8, Audionet G2/max are some of the ideas I have.....
Thanks for your thoughts.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Bricasti synergizes really nicely with Tidal.

Key benefits:
- Natural detail (meaning not hi-fi hyper detail that so many audiophiles crave)
- Relatively laid back sound

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Reactions: goodsource

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Many great stereo amps in that group. If you are in Europe perhaps Dartzeel or CH. Boulder 1160 has been well received. New Rowland stereo amp coming.

Last edited:

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
I prefer a warmer rather than the lean side of neutral and listen to jazz, female vocal and classic rock...
Since you are already using Vitus, the SS-103 should give you the power you need while maintaining the voicing; however, you will need to add a preamp since the SCD doesn’t have attenuation. I’m not sure the SIA-30 will have that much “extra” current/power as your SIA-25.
If you don’t mind going another brand route, there’s Accuphase, Luxman and Gryphon which you could consider.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
i would strongly suggest you the Gryphon with Tidal speakers

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks for your ideas:-
Gryphon - I listened to Diablo, but preferred my Vitus.... I read a lot about power amps but little about their preamps? What non Grython pre would work with an Antileon Evo?

dartzeel - I’ll take a look, the integrated is very nice, but more different than better than my Vitus....

Vitus - SIA 30 is the obvious choice.... and a little more power and resolution with still the richness..... going Pre power with Vitus seems very expensive,

No thoughts on PASS - but rare in Europe, but I can get great deal on XP30/xa100.8.....

Any thoughts on Audio Research - Ref 6SE/s160?
or Ref 6SE and SS??

Keep the ideas coming as I meet to get out and have a listen before the Covid 2nd wave makes everything difficult again....

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
We're carrying both Tidal and Vimberg here in Stockholm with the Piano G2 Diamond on permanent demo. We've also got a very broad selection of high end integrated amps from Accuphase, Boulder, Audionet, Pass, Ypsilon, CH Precision, Ayre, Absolare and more as well as several tube based options.

Tidal benefits from high quality amplification being very revealing where a bit higher power than what you're getting from your current Vitus SIA-025 MK2 would most certainly be beneficial. The characteristics of the electronics shouldn't be too lean or over analytical imo.

I would suggest to have a look at Boulder 866 for optimal control and neutrality, Accuphase E-800 or Pass INT-60/250 for more richness or Ypsilon for a rare combination of world class transparency and great timbre. The new Audionet Humboldt, CH Precision I1 and Absolare Signature Integrated are all SOTA as well, but the price level might become a bit too step in relation to the speakers.

Hope that helps - as a start :)

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: Imperial

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks Marcus for your feedback - wow you have a great collection of world class products.
- I recently listened to Audionet Stern / Max 2. Though not through the Piano - fantastic sound - too lean for Tidal?? I’m very tempted by this as I can get a great deal on an exdem Stern..
-the Pass xp30/100.8Xa to give richness and control.
- Ypsilon - id not thought of this as I was trying to avoid valve - but you are right - amazing in the right system.
- Absolare - I’ll look into again, calves but amazing reviews...
Simon

Reactions: Hyperion

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Another brand that I’ve heard in the past in Burmester - 088/911 mk3.... not sure how it would work with the Piano’s?

Reactions: hogen

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Vitus or Dartzeel both would be great, IMO. I agree they are quite different, and I like both of them quite a lot. I own Dartzeel with Marten, a similar animal to Tidal with Accutons. I would happily own Vitus as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithR

geopolitis

Apr 6, 2016
A friend of mine used to have his Piano Cera driven by a set of CAT amplifiers. When he switched to the Piano G2 he thought that valves could not really drive his speakers with the resolution and speed he was looking for. So he switched to a Tidal Preos/ Impulse set. He and I thought that would be impossible to match this combination with any other set of amplifiers. Until he tried Pilium Ares preamplifier and Hercules mono power amplifiers.

That is a combo that lacks nothing and reaches a level of sound quality that is way above the level that you thought it would be possible with these speakers. Amazing combo and definitely worth a try in case you find some dealer to set it up in your house.

A serious alternative would be a Tidal Prisma preamplifier combined with a Tidal, Vitus, Ypsilon or Gryphon power amplifier.

Fidelity88

Jan 22, 2020
If you are looking for another integrated amplifier, I strongly recommended the Absolare Signature Integrated as I have owned both the Vitus SIA25 MKII as well as the D’Agostino and the Absolare won hands down with more emotional musical involvement...it got power, 3D holographic imaging, and seductive!

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Dear all, I’ve shortlisted:
- Audionet Humboldt
- CH Precision L1 with either Gryphon Antilion Evo or CH A1.5
- Gryphon Pandora / Antilion Evo
- Tidal Prisma - Impulse or Gryphon Antilion Evo
All slightly different, and I’ve not heard all with my Tidal speakers- all really satisfying

Reactions: goodsource

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
The Luxman M800a /C800f combo will give you what you're looking for. I really enjoyed these while I had the Piano G2's.
So much so that I just added another M800a to use in mono for my Contriva G2's. If you need to buy new, you might have
to go for the M900u/C900u combo. I haven't heard these but I doubt you would go wrong.

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks for all your suggestions.
After many shop and home demos of:
- AudioNet Stern/Max
- Audionet Humboldt
- Vitus SIA30
- CH Precision- L1/A1.5
- CH Precision I1
- Gryphon Pandora/Antilion Evo
- Soulutions - 511/501

I finally settled on Tidal Prisma and Impulse...

not where I was imaging I’d finish, as I was thinking I’d stay integrated. And while the Humboldt is very very good, I preferred the Tidal and got a big upgrade on my phonostage into the bargain

huge natural sound, presence and layering, high resolution and top to bottom integration....

Big step from my Vitus SIA 25 as it should be.......

An advantage with the Prisma is a world class phono stage that you some how get for free......

natural synergy with my Piano’s.
I also changed my speaker cables to Tidal - again a huge improvement....

waiting for delivery - hopefully before the end of December and before the disaster of Brexit clogs up the ports in the UK....

In the meantime, I’m working on my new music room, not sure I’ll finish in time, but high motivation as I didn’t enjoy carrying the power amps up the stairs to my current location.....

thanks for all your help and I’ll post some pictures etc when I’m done .

Reactions: bvdiman

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
System synergy with the same high quality components from the same brand makes a lot of sense.
That is they were designed to work together.
What would have been your second choice - the Humboldt?

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
I loved the Humboldt, and also the ch precision L1 with gryphon Antilion- fantastic, but the Antilion is a huge beast and runs very hot, so rather overpowered my room

Reactions: Down Under

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for all your suggestions.
After many shop and home demos of:
- AudioNet Stern/Max
- Audionet Humboldt
- Vitus SIA30
- CH Precision- L1/A1.5
- CH Precision I1
- Gryphon Pandora/Antilion Evo
- Soulutions - 511/501

I finally settled on Tidal Prisma and Impulse...

not where I was imaging I’d finish, as I was thinking I’d stay integrated. And while the Humboldt is very very good, I preferred the Tidal and got a big upgrade on my phonostage into the bargain

huge natural sound, presence and layering, high resolution and top to bottom integration....

Big step from my Vitus SIA 25 as it should be.......

An advantage with the Prisma is a world class phono stage that you some how get for free......

natural synergy with my Piano’s.
I also changed my speaker cables to Tidal - again a huge improvement....

waiting for delivery - hopefully before the end of December and before the disaster of Brexit clogs up the ports in the UK....

In the meantime, I’m working on my new music room, not sure I’ll finish in time, but high motivation as I didn’t enjoy carrying the power amps up the stairs to my current location.....

thanks for all your help and I’ll post some pictures etc when I’m done .
Congratulations on a successful quest.
If you get the time it would be interesting to read your impressions of the other amps you listened to and how they fell short of the Tidals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing