New experience with the dac of the gods - Lampizator Pacific

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I visited Lampizator office in Varšava. Must say, very nice people indeed. Saw Horizon, heard Horizon, bought Pacific balanced. I do not regret any penny spent for this beauty, this thing helps my system to transform to the real thing. No more child play. Horning are also adding big portion of the sound. One would say it is ideal home system and I would agree. :)

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I found that using it with preamp instead of direct gave my system more dynamics due to the extra gain of the preamp.
Yes I have just experienced that.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I am quite enjoying my Hornings as well...they also work very well at low volume.
yes indeed, it is incredibly transparent even in very low volume, even low frequencies

Reactions: morricab

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Anyone tried passive preamp with Pacific? Music First, Billington, Townshend or Bespoke?

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I also prefer to use a preamp, and that has been consistent with every DAC I have owned, but, Horizon/Poseidon, who knows (I haven't heard either of them).

Viva Linea preamp is fantastic with my Pac2.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I am using an Allnic L-8000 DHT pre with my balanced Golden Gate 1 with KR PX4 tubes and Emission Labs Rectifier. Love that DHT magic.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I have solemnly promised myself to stop with subsequent upgrades :mad:
Have tried Horizon twice but still prefer my Pacific.
High end preamp would be a very expensive venture.
For whatever reason there is a huge synergy (input impedance?) between Pacific and Wavac MD805s.
Maybe try the Wavac pre amp?
In my system it saw off the Boulder 2110 and Vitus Masterpiece pre amps. And I'm a Boulder fanboi.
(I prefer ithe Wavac with Amperex valves)

Edit
Remembered...:

The Wavac Pr-t1 also saw off the Trinnov Amethyst and the top T and A pre amp.
It completely monstered both of those two.
With the Boulder 2110 it was different, not necessarily better; the Boulder was bigger, fuller, more tecnicolour. But the Wavac was better focused, more intimate, and just plain magical. Bass extension was deffo better from the Boulder, and if you told me I'd prefer the interpretation that was less dynamic had less bass extension but was more intimate, i wouldnt have believed you...but the Wavac makes my system sound magical, with that 3am smoky jazz club vibe.
The Vitus was more detailed, but to my ears, too dry, lacked the dynamics of the Boulder and the intimacy of the Wavac. Instrumental timbre was good though.The Trinnov was clearly a level below all of the aforementioned, with the exception of the T&A which was just plain rubbish; thin and sterile.

Last edited:

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Maybe try the Wavac pre amp?
In my system it saw off the Boulder 2110 and Vitus Masterpiece pre amps. And I'm a Boulder fanboi.
(I prefer ithe Wavac with Amperex valves)

Edit
Remembered...:

The Wavac Pr-t1 also saw off the Trinnov Amethyst and the top T and A pre amp.
It completely monstered both of those two.
With the Boulder 2110 it was different, not necessarily better; the Boulder was bigger, fuller, more tecnicolour. But the Wavac was better focused, more intimate, and just plain magical. Bass extension was deffo better from the Boulder, and if you told me I'd prefer the interpretation that was less dynamic had less bass extension but was more intimate, i wouldnt have believed you...but the Wavac makes my system sound magical, with that 3am smoky jazz club vibe.
The Vitus was more detailed, but to my ears, too dry, lacked the dynamics of the Boulder and the intimacy of the Wavac. Instrumental timbre was good though.The Trinnov was clearly a level below all of the aforementioned, with the exception of the T&A which was just plain rubbish; thin and sterile.
Many thanks for your recommendation. Indeed, I probably need to try Wavac PR-T1. I can see it is out of production and super difficult to get in the 2nd hand market, but will keep an eye on it :)
In the meantime I will check what Lukasz is cooking at Lampizator. If I understand correctly Poseidon is supposed to have extremely good preamp section and can be provided as preamp + phono instead of DAC. That might be an interesting option...

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
I read this thead with interest...as a relatively new GG3 owner, I can't help but want to hear any DAC referred to as "DAC of the Gods". I have to say the GG3 seems to fit that description for me.

I use my DAC as basicly my Pre amp. All my digital signals come into the DAC and I choose inputs and volume control there. My amp is an integrated that I turn up all the way up so the DAC is gain control. But the integrated amp obviously has enough gain to accept the DAC instead of a preamp.

I was wondering, for those wanting to use their DAC directly to an amp but needing more gain could use a step up transformer such as the Astor MC-999 by Hashimoto. Spec says it has 23dB gain which would work well with my system, but I am using a very low power amp. Still, I think 23dB should work with most amps needing an input gain boost.

I ask this because I am a minimlst by nature and don't like to do any more to the signal once it becomes analog than I have to. As you can imagine, I like transformer volume control too.

YMMV but just thought I'd throw this idea out there. The Astor is a wonderful piece of gear that almost makes me want to get into vinyl.

Jerry

Reactions: Zappadaddy

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Gentlemen, there is very little mentioned about upgrade of Pacific to v2.
Would you be kind enough to share more comments regarding upgrade? What are the key changes? (Some of you mention more resolution and better bass). More resolution doesn’t create less musicality and more sterile sound?
Anyone of you who regrets a decision to upgrade?

Reactions: Azh123

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Gentlemen, there is very little mentioned about upgrade of Pacific to v2.
Would you be kind enough to share more comments regarding upgrade? What are the key changes? (Some of you mention more resolution and better bass). More resolution doesn’t create less musicality and more sterile sound?
Anyone of you who regrets a decision to upgrade?
Hi JSA! The upgrade to PAC2 provided a startling component-like change. I noticed more body, transparency, space between instruments, rich tonality, texture, better dynamics. Other than that...

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Hi JSA! The upgrade to PAC2 provided a startling component-like change. I noticed more body, transparency, space between instruments, rich tonality, texture, better dynamics. Other than that...
Sounds like a no brainer to just go and do the upgrade, right?

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I would add all notes are more distinct and tighter, it is worth it that is for sure

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Anyone tried passive preamp with Pacific? Music First, Billington, Townshend or Bespoke?
I use a Goldpoint SA2XM, modified with silver internal wiring, with my Pac 2. I love the combination.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing