New MSB Owner

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am very pleased to be able to report that a Select II with twin power bases has finally made its way into my system.
In the previous 3 decades as an audio enthusiast, I would have been in a more celebratory mood. However, we live in interesting times - things seem very polarised. The rise of ASR, Topping vs. Wadax debates. Can you really 'hear' DACs etc. I'm not immune to these discussions - partly because they resonate with some of my suspicions (cables), and I worry that a few extreme examples within this hobby have spoiled the party for everyone else.
So I did a lot of soul-searching before committing to this purchase. I was fortunate enough to buy an ex-demo system at a price that I could personally rationalise (basically, would I lose a lot of money if I didn't like it and put it on the used market? No. So what do I have to loose?).
The DAC arrived without any modules (an oversight - the renderer will be shipped this week). So I was in the bizarre situation of having to buy a Toslink cable ($10) - so that I could connect my portable DAP (A&K SP3000) to my dream DAC (the base config has coax and toslink inputs). Cables are currently Belden 1800F ($62 for 3.5 foot pair) - feeding into a Sennheiser HE1 headphone system.
The HE1's DAC isn't too shabby, and I have a couple of years under my belt with this system - so I know it pretty well.

First impressions:
Not subtle. It sounds like a totally different system - by far and away the best digital I have ever heard. But this is all down to biases - right? Maybe. So I asked my son (an accomplished young cellist) to listen. He asked not to be aware of which was which. His opinion: "It is night and day. One is three dimensional, with amazing low-end the other is 2D in comparison with less dynamic range". He just needed to listen for 20 seconds (Hans Zimmer's Inception: Time - live performance). Not very scientific, admittedly, but the first step on this journey. Prior to the comparison - this track on the HE1 (internal DAC) - was his favourite and the best digital he had heard until that point.

More interestingly - I have never been able to listen to headphone music for more than an hour or so. I find it gets fatiguing. Last night - I listened for 4 hours. Zero fatigue. Finally - I can enjoy extended listening sessions. Of all the analysis I could do - that is the most telling so far. I am not trying to 'compare' or rely on auditory memory. When the HE1 was new - I just wasn't able to do this - despite the new toy and wanting to revisit as much of my library as possible.

So this is the 'baseline' with the MSB Select II. No fancy cables (and stock power chords) - no power conditioning. But wow already. I look forward to the renderer 's arrival after my business trip this week. And then 'maybe' we will experiment with other gadgets (Pro-USB, Digital Director). But if this was the last digital set-up I ever heard - I would be beyond satisfied already.

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Congratulations on your new purchase. Always nice to read that someone feels reinvigorated buy a new purchase.

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Thank you - going into this - I was honestly hoping that I wouldn't like it as much as I do. The network renderer arrives on Thursday - so will be interesting to see what that adds over a humble toslink connection.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Thank you - going into this - I was honestly hoping that I wouldn't like it as much as I do. The network renderer arrives on Thursday - so will be interesting to see what that adds over a humble toslink connection.
Congratulations! Enjoy.

Reactions: Googaliser

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
What a great writeup. Having just bought the MSB Reference I can really relate to all your comments. I almost bought a new unit but backed off when thinking about the price relative to say, a new BMW. Then it's a 7 year old design. A day later a "new" used unit came up and I grabbed it. While I do find "value" in some of these uber high-end products I think many manufacturers and dealers are good with "whatever the market will bear" pricing. That said this is the real deal product. Just came off another 4 hour listening session and all I can say is a very big WOW. For those of us lucky to afford this level of gear it is a truly amazing experience. So congratulations on your purchase and enjoy!

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I am very pleased to be able to report that a Select II with twin power bases has finally made its way into my system.
In the previous 3 decades as an audio enthusiast, I would have been in a more celebratory mood. However, we live in interesting times - things seem very polarised. The rise of ASR, Topping vs. Wadax debates. Can you really 'hear' DACs etc. I'm not immune to these discussions - partly because they resonate with some of my suspicions (cables), and I worry that a few extreme examples within this hobby have spoiled the party for everyone else.
So I did a lot of soul-searching before committing to this purchase. I was fortunate enough to buy an ex-demo system at a price that I could personally rationalise (basically, would I lose a lot of money if I didn't like it and put it on the used market? No. So what do I have to loose?).
The DAC arrived without any modules (an oversight - the renderer will be shipped this week). So I was in the bizarre situation of having to buy a Toslink cable ($10) - so that I could connect my portable DAP (A&K SP3000) to my dream DAC (the base config has coax and toslink inputs). Cables are currently Belden 1800F ($62 for 3.5 foot pair) - feeding into a Sennheiser HE1 headphone system.
The HE1's DAC isn't too shabby, and I have a couple of years under my belt with this system - so I know it pretty well.

First impressions:
Not subtle. It sounds like a totally different system - by far and away the best digital I have ever heard. But this is all down to biases - right? Maybe. So I asked my son (an accomplished young cellist) to listen. He asked not to be aware of which was which. His opinion: "It is night and day. One is three dimensional, with amazing low-end the other is 2D in comparison with less dynamic range". He just needed to listen for 20 seconds (Hans Zimmer's Inception: Time - live performance). Not very scientific, admittedly, but the first step on this journey. Prior to the comparison - this track on the HE1 (internal DAC) - was his favourite and the best digital he had heard until that point.

More interestingly - I have never been able to listen to headphone music for more than an hour or so. I find it gets fatiguing. Last night - I listened for 4 hours. Zero fatigue. Finally - I can enjoy extended listening sessions. Of all the analysis I could do - that is the most telling so far. I am not trying to 'compare' or rely on auditory memory. When the HE1 was new - I just wasn't able to do this - despite the new toy and wanting to revisit as much of my library as possible.

So this is the 'baseline' with the MSB Select II. No fancy cables (and stock power chords) - no power conditioning. But wow already. I look forward to the renderer 's arrival after my business trip this week. And then 'maybe' we will experiment with other gadgets (Pro-USB, Digital Director). But if this was the last digital set-up I ever heard - I would be beyond satisfied already.
Cool, were you using Tidal/Qobuz? Will be interesting to hear how the renderer module compares to your DAP

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
What a great writeup. Having just bought the MSB Reference I can really relate to all your comments. I almost bought a new unit but backed off when thinking about the price relative to say, a new BMW. Then it's a 7 year old design. A day later a "new" used unit came up and I grabbed it. While I do find "value" in some of these uber high-end products I think many manufacturers and dealers are good with "whatever the market will bear" pricing. That said this is the real deal product. Just came off another 4 hour listening session and all I can say is a very big WOW. For those of us lucky to afford this level of gear it is a truly amazing experience. So congratulations on your purchase and enjoy!
Thank you, Scott - and congratulations on your purchase too. Sounds like we have had similar thought processes and experiences here. Looking forward to your journey too. Now that I have a sufficiently transparent system, must confess that I am looking forward to playing with some cables and power/grounding options. Even though I have a priori biases on these things - they are no more founded in science than the experiences (many of whom I respect) report to have had. So will keep an open mind and try to keep things unbiased.

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
The renderer v2 arrived today. Immediate impression after a couple of tracks (no need for A B comparisons - this stuff is obvious) - reverb tails that seem to go on forever, and spacial information (mic placement) I was ignorant of on really familiar tracks. More detail, more 3D...

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
So revealing.... It could actually detract slightly from the enjoyment on some tracks because you are able to hear things that the engineers missed. Even on a well mastered and technically excellent album like Random Access Memories - Daft Punk - I heard a section where the noise effect ever so slightly overlapped with the vocal entrance - I'm sure it wasn't intended. First time I have ever heard this despite knowing the track well. *Very* revealing....

Last edited:

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Late night last night listening. I would say that with a very revealing system (my transducers are electrostats) - there is a balance between capturing the performance and detail retrieval. With well recorded material - the sound from the Select II / HE1 is other worldly. It is the first time I have heard DSD and higher sample rate recordings very clearly pull away from red book. For red book and casual listening though - my preference at the moment is the toslink connection. For critical listening and super well produced material - it is hard to imagine anything more transparent that the renderer. In fact - I wouldn't want anything more transparent. I would be keen to hear from those of you using the Pro-USB input - and with experience of the renderer V2 - how you would characterise the difference between the two. I will likely order the Pro-USB anyway (the MSB modules are not expensive (vs the system) - but I guess it is all relative) - in for a penny, in for a pound.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Late night last night listening. I would say that with a very revealing system (my transducers are electrostats) - there is a balance between capturing the performance and detail retrieval. With well recorded material - the sound from the Select II / HE1 is other worldly. It is the first time I have heard DSD and higher sample rate recordings very clearly pull away from red book. For red book and casual listening though - my preference at the moment is the toslink connection. For critical listening and super well produced material - it is hard to imagine anything more transparent that the renderer. In fact - I wouldn't want anything more transparent. I would be keen to hear from those of you using the Pro-USB input - and with experience of the renderer V2 - how you would characterise the difference between the two. I will likely order the Pro-USB anyway (the MSB modules are not expensive (vs the system) - but I guess it is all relative) - in for a penny, in for a pound.
Are you using a server for your stored files or a pc?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I owned an Msb 5 back in the day always had a wonder full analog sound to me. while back then a well setup analog did best it. at shows I’ve heard Msb ref a few times truly great sound enjoy your purchase. per haps you may consider a taiko server to add to your top level system front end.

Reactions: VPN

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
I owned an Msb 5 back in the day always had a wonder full analog sound to me. while back then a well setup analog did best it. at shows I’ve heard Msb ref a few times truly great sound enjoy your purchase. per haps you may consider a taiko server to add to your top level system front end.
Thank you - am keen to explore - have heard great things about Taiko.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I’m also using render v2. I’m going right from jcat net card xe from my pc using shunyata research best Ethernet cable to the Innous Phoenix net switch to the gigafoil and then using sablon audio Ethernet to the dac. The gigafoil will add organic sound especially to red book cds.

Reactions: Googaliser

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Thank you - am keen to explore - have heard great things about Taiko.
Yes for a few reasons
it’s very well supported after purchase
always improving the product for better sound
And use
while it cost to make changes after production they do this at there own cost and one has to have a high regard for this process
I’m sure you can find some to loan or try out.
Im very confident in the quality improvements you will hear.
while Msb gives an amazing sound sourced
From anything there is still more from a better source more suited for the Chain.
I’ve built many servers over the years and hearing there’s and looking inside shows me ultra care everywhere

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Just listening to one of my favourite 'pop' tracks - the underrated "Say Something" from Justin Timberlake. Just not feeling it. Amazing detail, vocals, separation (best I have heard) - but you get the feeling that the engineer was using NS10's to mix. So listening back on a super transparent system doesn't have the same cohesion it does on a regular hifi - the musicality seems to have been dissected into these perfect components - but lacking glue/cohesion. Surely we want to recreate the control room sound? Hmmm...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing