New preamplifier Audio Research/Conrad Jonson

Salvof

Jan 17, 2023
Hello everybody
I'm going to change the preamp, and it must necessarily have at least an MM phono.
Making a selection and considering the golden age of high fidelity, the choice fell on three models, CJ Evolution 20, Audio Research sp10 sp11 and 15
Let's say that for reasons of historical importance I'd take the sp10, but I've read that the phono, although excellent, is not very silent, especially if with efficient speakers, so you have to look for very silent valves, the pre-line is nothing exceptional but discreet. The sp11, on the other hand, seems to have a better line preamp and a much quieter phono, even if in general a less magical sound. The 15 instead has the same phono as the 11 but with a better line stage. Then there is the Evolution 20 of which I have not read any defects.
Can you help me make a reasoned choice?
The amp is a Conrad MV60.
Thank you

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Not knowing what your preferences are, I'll respond with mine (dynamics, absolute clarity - no loss of detail, minimal phase problems, linearity at various volume levels...).
Of your two choices, the CJ would be mine.
As you favour tubes, I would add the EAR yoshino 912 to your short list (MM / MC phone included), or a CAT SL1 legend. Both offer very high performance levels, IMO better than the AR you picked (good though they may be).

Reactions: paolo and Lxgreen

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Considering your incumbent power amplification a bit of a ‘No Brainer’ unless of course you are looking to counterbalance the tonality of the MV60 a tad.

Reactions: paolo and Salvof

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
An Atmasphere pre will tame some of the CJ richness.

Reactions: Salvof

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Soulution preamps are excellent for valve power amps. And I don’t like Soulution amps or the sound of the Soulution stack together, but their preamp is an excellent match for valve power amps

Reactions: Salvof

south

Nov 4, 2011
Soulution preamps are excellent for valve power amps. And I don’t like Soulution amps or the sound of the Soulution stack together, but their preamp is an excellent match for valve power amps
I can confirm this . The Soulution 725 plays extremely well with my ARC 750. It has perhaps less bloom than an ARC Ref 10 which I also tried, but it has better definition and bass.
I also like the stack (725/711) . In my view it has a very full and "saturated" sound which I find very good.

Reactions: bonzo75

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Have a SP11 Mk II . Along with two other preamps.
Like how quiet the phono stage and used direct is no slouch either.
It has been very reliable no noise issues. Doesn't consume tubes and has a great over all presentation of music in my set up. Lot's of favourable reviews all over the net. Oldie but a goodie.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I’d strongly recommend getting a separate phono preamp, if you’re serious about vinyl. For over 20 years, I owned the original ARC Ref Phono, an amazing phono preamp. I now have the ARC Phono 3SE, which is considerably better. Yes, the price is a bit breathtaking, but even a lowly Technics SL10 linear tracker with a budget Shure M109HE P-mount cartridge blows away my very expensive Lampizator Pacific DAC, itself no slouch among DACs. The ARC Ref Phono stages are worth their weight in gold, IMHO. They can elevate even a budget turntable and cartridge in the top rung of analog vinyl replay. You can find older Ref Phono preamps at considerable discounts, but as with all ARC gear, don’t expect bargain basement prices. I use the Ref 3 preamp, the last design of William Zane Johnson. All later ARC Ref preamps are variants of the Ref 3. Better parts, more 6H30P tubes, but same design. If you want absolutely quiet vinyl replay, separate phono stages are hard to beat. Even with a 0.2 mV Koetsu moving coil and 73 dB of gain, my Phono 3SE is absolutely silent. Naturally, that level of performance does not come cheap. It completely demolished a fully tricked out Mark Levinson 32 preamp with built-in phono stage. It was embarrassing how much worse the Levinson phono stage sounded, compressed and harmonically bleached compared to the Ref Phono and the Ref Phono 3SE.

Reactions: Pacha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing