New System Ordered, but further suggestions needed and appreciated

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The Journey

It's been a long long long journey to get to this point. We move into our new home Thursday. My dealer has ordered my new audio system. It will take about a month or so to arrive. But the wait is part of the journey isn't it?

I'm a former homicide detective. I first heard a Pass Labs system decades ago while working on a case. I still remember entering the audio shop that day. And besides the other questions I had to ask the salesman :cool:, I asked what I was hearing. He told me our Pass Labs system (Avalon speakers I believe). After the case, when I inquired about the price, I knew on my salary that it would only ever be a dream. But, I never forgot the the name, the look, and especially the sound! I'd never heard anything like it!

So, I played around with other systems thru the years. And even when searching for a new one in these retirement days I listened to other systems. Even listened to some used Avalon speakers on different amps. But nothing ever measured up to "my ears." So, ...

The System:

Pass X260.8s Amps
Pass XP22 Preamp
Luxman D-08u SACD
Aurender N100H Streamer
Magico A3’s
Magico A3 Grills
Shunyata Hydra Alpha A12 Power Conditioner
Shunyata Cables thru out
Bamboo SVT Quadrasphire Racks (x3) and two Amp Stands

Will post pics once it’s here. In the mean time, we're having two to three - 20 AMP dedicated lines (10 guage) run into the Great Room and a whole house surge protector installed. And AudioQuest NRGs hung upside-down.

Your Suggestions?

If you have any other suggestions while I wait - besides buying a seatbelt for my listening chair - please let me know them? If possible, accoustic room improvements will be made next year. And if possible a Pass Labs headphone amp and a good set of headphones may be in the picture. But anything further you can offer will be much appreciated.

PS: Not sure it matters, but I'm partially handicapped. So, for any suggestions please keep that in mind.

PSS: Oh, in case you're wondering, we caught the bad guy as well.

Reactions: Scott W and HughP3

caesar

May 30, 2010
Congrats! My only suggestion is to set it properly. Then sit back and enjoy for 24-36 months before chasing anything new.

Reactions: dbeau

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Excellent choices. You cannot go wrong with Shunyata cables and conditioning throughout and with Shunyata cables you can chose your price level and know which of Caelin's technologies you are buying into and those you might be missing.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Many thanks caesar and IanG-UK. Yes, setting it up properly is a must. The audio store I purchased this from is supposed to excel at it. And Shunyata's are very very good. It was either them or AQ. I don't think I could have gone wrong with either, but since I purchased the Hydra Alpha A12, I felt the Shunyata Cables would give better synergy.

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I would suggest bass traps for the room corners if possible and diffusers of some type at first reflection points. Might not be possible given your room location and wife's tolerance but they do make a huge difference.

Cincy

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I would suggest bass traps for the room corners if possible and diffusers of some type at first reflection points. Might not be possible given your room location and wife's tolerance but they do make a huge difference.

Cincy
I agree. The system will be in the Great Room - a poor one for audio. We plan on putting in some acoustical products on the coffered ceiling, behind the audio system, and above the kitchen cabinets at present. Those have bee approved by the boss. I'm not sure about the corners yet, still working on the acoustics in the 3 rooms that adjoin the Great Room area. Messy for good audio.

PS: I will be away for a few days - possibly a week - moving in to the new place. So, pease keep posting new ideas, etc. I will get to them as soon as possible - when we have Internet, Wi-Fi, the TV and furniture all set up - next week sometime - I hope.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014

Cincy
You can order art panels which have good Waf from affordable (GIK Acoustics), to moderate (Stillpoints) to expensive (RW Acoustics). ASC make my favourite bass traps, but there are many others incl: GIK.

Joto

Apr 21, 2019
Congratulations on a great system it should offer many years of enjoyment.
You can never go wrong with Pass.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thanks everyone. I’m adding your suggestions to a list to research when I get a larger enhanced screen. iPhones just aren’t large enough for someone with bad eyes ....

We moved in. 10 gauge wire runs finished, except for adding the other two NRG outlets which should be in tomorrow.

Looks kind of bare at present. But TV and Sound-bar go in tomorrow. Audio system about 30 days away.

Thanks again.

E8933509-1D9C-4E1A-B84D-AE2E6810EC7E.jpeg

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
We had the TV and Soundbar hung yesterday. Not optimal for two channel, but everything has to fit in it’s allotted space. At least the Martin Logan Soundbar is decent for Qobuz - lacks base but it’s only temporary....

Attachments

• 7C7F9586-BFB2-4053-9E10-3576C5A6D8F3.jpeg
    7C7F9586-BFB2-4053-9E10-3576C5A6D8F3.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 23

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on your decisions! It looks like a great plan!

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Very nice system, Audire.

It is possible that the combined space of your Great Room and adjoining open areas will provide less boundary reinforcement at low frequencies than Alon Wolf had in mind when he designed the A3's. I say this without knowing the specifics, and I'm sure it's something your dealer can figure out a solution for, if such proves to be the case.

And thanks from all of us for catching bad guys and making our world a better place. That sounds a bit trite now that I see it typed out but I mean it.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Nice that you have mounted your screen symmetrically and that, hopefully, your audio gear is similar and fairly minimal. Whilst, IMO, that feature is not too important for a fulfilling video experience (because we capture lots of information visually) it is, IMO, important for a fulfilling audio experience where the visual distraction needs to be minimal.

My ideal audio system would have source and amplification as small as possible and speakers as not overbearing and as visually inoffensive as possible.

I get quite close with wall mounted and very plain Devialet amplification, a small floor sited plain Antipodes digital source and very
plain Magico loudspeakers. I know this is not the norm for contributors on WBF because most pictures of contributors' systems generally show the space between speakers filled with large numbers of electronic boxes. Maybe it is not an issue for most or maybe they listen with eyes closed or in the dark!

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thanks Duke LeJeune. The space isn't ideal. And a TV above a sound system makes it even less ideal. I almost went with some Martin Logan 13A's or 15A's instead of the Magico's. They may have worked better in the space. But Magico's - I've enjoyed every one I've ever heard ...

I am going to be adding some room conditioning to the coffered ceiling and above the kitchen cabinets. A friend is stitching in some Guilford of Maine acoustic cloth to our patio shade. I've already added some decorative accoustic panels to the left side of the TV area. We will need some in the Dining Room area too.

This still won't be ideal but should greatly improve the sound. And it won't substitute for proper wall boundaries - not in the cards I was dealt. Despite some rather serious limitations we're hoping we get audio magic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
IanG-UK thanks. I'm going to have a number of components. 2 mono amps, a pre-amp with a separate electrical supply, streamer, power conditioner, computer, and Apple TV. However, IMO it will still give a minimal look as the top component won't be above 30" off the floor - and that being only in the center rack. And I'm using bamboo racks by Quadraspire so the look will be rather light in color and somewhat match our Tommy Bahama furniture.

The planned layout at present is:

Far Left: Quadraspire Amp Stand with Pass X260.8s Amp
Left of Center: Bottom Rack - Pass Labs XP22 Preamp // Top Rack - a MacMini
Center: Bottom Rack - Shunyata Hydra Alpha // Center - Aurender N100H // Top - Luxman D-08u SACD
Right of Center: Bottom Rack - Pass Labs XP22 Supply // Top Rack - an Apple TV
Far Right: Quadraspire Amp Stand with Pass X260.8s Amp

Later, if we can afford it, I will acquire a Pass Labs HPA-1 Headphone Amp or possibly some HIFIMAN Shangri-La Flagship Electrostatic Open-Back Headphones - if they are still on sale for only 9.5K :eek: Those may require a different amp. If a Headphone system does work out then we will move the MacMini to the right side to join the Apple TV and the left side top rack will then house the headphone amp ...

So, the system will be spread out over five (5) rack areas. It will not sit high, but rather low. So, in this way it will be somewhat minimal look but also remain the focal point of the Great Room area ...

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Just found out this morning that our new system appears to be looking good for Friday. Dealer may be dropping off the system in boxes tomorrow and then doing the install on Friday.

We continue to consider adding another system - at least a turntable one - as well. But that's a topic for another post later on. First things first.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Any news?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Congrats on the system! So good to see a great dealer piece together a synergistic and, coming soon, well setup hifi. Good choice going with mono blocks for the A3s.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Very Nice ! I’m a Pass fan as well.. Enjoy the Music !!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing