New to music servers - Melco N1zs vs the rest…

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
I eventually bought a Tara Labs Master Evolution usb cable, rather than the shunyata omega.
very big jump in sound - everything better. I don’t listen to my CD transport any more and I’m thinking of changing my DAC to a Vitus Masterpiece 3..

im having the Ethernet hard wired to my music room as I want to start streaming to find new music, that I can then buy and down load to my melco….

i read lots of things about optimizing the network (about which I know nothing) and I bought a sablon Ethernet cable, I’m wondering if I need a so called audiophile switch, which seem rather spendy for something in the pure digital domain?
any thoughts or experience With melco?
Do you still have Melco I’m considering it. Vs. I’m innuous statement.

The Melco S100 switch is very good, and scales nicely with a better power supply. Before doing the Pink Faun mod, I used one Farad Super3 on the stock S100 and it was a very nice improvement.

Pink Faun's LAN cables are very good, if you're interested in trying them out (they accept returns). I replaced Shunyata Omega ethernet cables with the Pink Faun LAN cables and I'm very happy with the results.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Do you still have Melco I’m considering it. Vs. I’m innuous statement.
Yes, I still have that Melco and I bought another for my home theater.

VK-GR

Aug 12, 2022
Dears, I’m in need of some guidance.
I have purchased a new DAC - Vitus Masterpiece which I hope to take delivery this summer.
But I’m unsure how to feed it - I was thinking of buying a transport - DCS/Esoteric level and to just listen to CDs of which I have some 000’s and am generally happy - like the physical media etc and I have already a sound at a high level, although not at the level of my TT - more natural, etc…..

But of course I realize that this is a technology of the past, so am wondering about servers/streamers etc….

I have very little experience of this, and although I have dabbled in the past - mini Mac and various software (not anywhere near as good as my then Wadia S7i), and I have heard various systems and streaming (Tidal) which again was not better than optical drive (DCS etc..) I have no IT skills nor interest and have not yet heard better streaming than optical disc (streaming means tidal et.al, not ripped CD on a hard drive which I have heard at least equal if not slightly better optical drive - but on very high end systems)

So my thinking is not to stream now, buy a server, digitize my library, and get on the path as I’m sure streaming will only improve…..

When I see the Uber servers on here and the high level of Maintenance and network improvements seeming necessary i a bit daunted..
So I’m looking for the best plug and play (as close to zero computer required) with sound quality that will suit my DAC and system and compete with my analogue..
So, I have identified the following more or less in order:
- Melco N1ZS with SSD - more a server with some streaming
- Innuos Statement
- Aurender n20 or W20SE - best sounding

I can find lots of discussions on the latter two, but very little love or otherwise for Melco at this level?

really appreciate your thoughts on Melco, Transport etc etc.

one last topic is I have no wired Ethernet in my music room so I was hoping to use WiFi to connect to the network for software updates, ripped metadata and casual steaming to explore new music…

thanks for your help
Hello 3125simon,

Your reference above to combining digital with analog and obtaining a more analog result leads me to think that a combination of Pachanko Labs Constellation Computer Audio Transport and the Diretta (Japan) bridge/target would give you this result.

Pachanko:

Diretta
(look for Diretta Canarino DUB as entry level. There is also an advanced target from company SPEC)

If you wish you can read a short review of my experience, upgrading from a mac-mini, here (bottom of page):
but also other reviews of users who have same or similar chain.

Don't be daunted by price indicated at thread title. Pachanko have 4 models of computer audio transport for every price range....
And Diretta target device is also available at different price points.

If you need more info you can also contact Chan of Pachanko Labs:
He is the most helpful person on earth and I am sure that if he cannot assist with your requirement he can certainly point to the right direction...

I, really, have not heard of more natural and "analog" front end with a complete "black" background.
Would certainly give it a try based on what requirements you describe above.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: bryans

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
I eventually bought a Tara Labs Master Evolution usb cable, rather than the shunyata omega.
very big jump in sound - everything better. I don’t listen to my CD transport any more and I’m thinking of changing my DAC to a Vitus Masterpiece 3..

im having the Ethernet hard wired to my music room as I want to start streaming to find new music, that I can then buy and down load to my melco….

i read lots of things about optimizing the network (about which I know nothing) and I bought a sablon Ethernet cable, I’m wondering if I need a so called audiophile switch, which seem rather spendy for something in the pure digital domain?
any thoughts or experience With melco?
Would you like to demo our Infigo signature usb cable?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing