New top tier Sonus Faber speakers coming

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Visited KS audio store here in BKK today. KS is the importer of Sonus Faber products. I wanted to audition the Stradivari. Vorathep, the owner, told me that some exciting new products are coming from Sonus. There is a new top model, a four-unit set consisting of two towers -- rather slender from the pictures I saw -- which are to be paired with two subwoofers. The subs looked a bit like the Strads I was listening to. The photos showed each subwoofer as having at least two drivers, designed and manufactured in-house. I was told to expect a price tag touching $600,000. I cannot confirm the price but KS already has a demo pair on ordr. so I could find out more about pricing. An update on the Aida II is also in the works. Maybe available in a couple more years. Takes a long time to craft a Sonus s[eaker.
Any confirmations on this?

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
During our visit to the audio castle we didn't hear anything about it, but we were able to listen to the Aida 2 :)

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
How did you like the Aida 2? What else was in the system driving them? Like you, I use Spectral. My audio dealer had doubts about Spectral and Aida. He advocates MacIntosh. I heard the new 451s with the Strads. I was not impressed with the set-up.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Most intriguing...I generally have enjoyed the 4-towers I have heard for their scale and power. With SF tonal balance and refinement, a 4-tower could be quite something.

Although both designed by Franco Serblin not current designers, I owned by the original Guarneri and then the Strad and genuinely enjoyed them both.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Hi Chas,

The Aida 2 was powered with a complete McIntosh system and that certainly did not appeal to us. During our first listening session we played with our own CDs and we thought they sounded substandard. During our second listening session we listened to the new Stradivari and it did not appeal to us at all, too much bass and not tight, which could be because they were not fully played in. Then we listened to the Amati 5, all controlled with McIntosh. The Amati 5 sounded very good. The last two were in another listening room and we played music with a network player. Finally, we listened to the Aida 2 again with a network player and everything sounded much better. So that CD player was a huge disappointment. No McIntosh equipment for us. I think your 400RS is a very good partner for the Aida 2, just try it out. The Aidas sound very neutral with beautiful highs and enormous placement. If there is a lot of deep bass in the music, they will let that be heard. We went home with a positive feeling and my music friend is thinking about whether he will purchase the Aidas :)

BR Ismaël

bill s

Dec 15, 2023
Illinois
Visited KS audio store here in BKK today. KS is the importer of Sonus Faber products. I wanted to audition the Stradivari. Vorathep, the owner, told me that some exciting new products are coming from Sonus. There is a new top model, a four-unit set consisting of two towers -- rather slender from the pictures I saw -- which are to be paired with two subwoofers. The subs looked a bit like the Strads I was listening to. The photos showed each subwoofer as having at least two drivers, designed and manufactured in-house. I was told to expect a price tag touching $600,000. I cannot confirm the price but KS already has a demo pair on ordr. so I could find out more about pricing. An update on the Aida II is also in the works. Maybe available in a couple more years. Takes a long time to craft a Sonus s[eaker.
Any confirmations on this?
I just upgraded to SF Aidas from il Cremonese. I have SF Gravis vi subwoofers. I've heard these with MacIntosh and was not impressed. My components are ARC Ref 6SE and Ref3SE preamps with Aesthetix Eclipse monoblocks. Really enjoying the set up.

Reactions: ozy

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Hi Bill first congrats with your Aida's, that's an interesting upgrade. But why are you using Gravis 6 subwoofers? a few weeks ago I saw the il cremonese ex3ma it has 4 bas speakers didn't they diliver enough bass? Do you still use them with Aida's?
Is there a big difference between Cremonese vs Aida?

BR Ismaël

bill s

Dec 15, 2023
Illinois
Hi Bill first congrats with your Aida's, that's an interesting upgrade. But why are you using Gravis 6 subwoofers? a few weeks ago I saw the il cremonese ex3ma it has 4 bas speakers didn't they diliver enough bass? Do you still use them with Aida's?
Is there a big difference between Cremonese vs Aida?

BR Ismaël
Hiempie,

It’s not all about the bass. Using subwoofers in a system expands the width and depth of your soundstage. I had these subs when I owned the il Cremonese and didn’t think the trade in allowance was worth departing with them.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Hiempie,

It’s not all about the bass. Using subwoofers in a system expands the width and depth of your soundstage. I had these subs when I owned the il Cremonese and didn’t think the trade in allowance was worth departing with them.
Hi Bill,

You are right I've heard it in a demo with and without sub and the difference was substantialy.
Do you use one or two subs? and where do you place them?

Other question
How big is the difference between il Cremonese and Aida. Unfortunatly I didn't hear them toghether Is it in the mids or high?

Regards Ismaël

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Bill,

You are right I've heard it in a demo with and without sub and the difference was substantialy.

Other question
How big is the difference between il Cremonese and Aida. Unfortunatly I didn't hear them toghether Is it in the mids or high?

Regards Ismaël
Curious...can you describe the substantial difference with the sub a bit more? Always interested in other people's experience with subs, particularly on larger speakers.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
LL21,

Actually Bill has the best experience, what I heard was on a nice Magico system I believe M2 with very expencive Magico sub so only one in the middle of the M2. With subs you hear more room, more depth the loudness of the subs where at a level you nearly don't hear them, bass on speakers a little bit louder. Without sub the extra wideness and depth dissapeard.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21,

Actually Bill has the best experience, what I heard was on a nice Magico system I believe M2 with very expencive Magico sub so only one in the middle of the M2. With subs you hear more room, more depth the loudness of the subs where at a level you nearly don't hear them, bass on speakers a little bit louder. Without sub the extra wideness and depth dissapeard.
Thank you. That is my own experience as well. The key I am trying to gauge is how much MORE subs change that dynamic even further. I know Arnie of Rockport Arrakis fame added the REL 6-pack years later, crossed over at something like 23hz...and swears by how much they did for scale, sense of venue, ease.

Reactions: Hiempie

bill s

Dec 15, 2023
Illinois
Hi Bill,

Other question

Regards Ismaël
I am using 2 subs. Due to furniture configurations the 2 subs are both placed on the front wall, behind and just to the inside of the Aidas.
The difference between the il Cremonese and Aida is huge. Even though the overall sound is similar the Aida has lower bass extension (even without subs) and a more three dimensional soundstage with more pinpoint focus. They have brought the venue into my room.

Reactions: Hiempie

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Sonus Faber Suprema:

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
That's the set I saw in the photos at my Sonus Faber dealer.

Reactions: Hiempie and CKKeung

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
New Sonus Faber Aida II, a "special edition", has been announced. Features a leather covering on the front, with a SF logo stamped on it. Price: 140,000 Euros, 10% discount if you order before March 31 2024. No idea if there are more upgrades in this "special model," but just putting leather on the front sounds like the company is going for the Bugatti crowd rather than the audio crowd. Any more news on this product?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing