Newbie into R2R: Can you guys give me tips and pointers?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Joey, what makes up the rest of your system? Speakers, pre-amp, amp, other sources?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
@Mike Lavigne
Which deck is your favorite and which is your best sounding?
i will not try to answer beyond your specific question. but know there are many decks when in really great condition can perform at a high level, my preferences are not intended to be comprehensive.

there are three decks i would say are my favorites in top level stock form. the Studer A-820, Ampex ATR-102, and Studer A80. in my experience.

of those three, my opinion is that acquiring and then getting the deck to top level form is likely easiest with the Ampex ATR-102. and it has the most support in North America. although those other two are also fairly service able and parts can be found. but you are more challenged. and would need to locate a tech near you who could support you. the A-820 being the bigger parts challenge compared to the A-80.

as far as my personal favorite all around; it's the decks i own; which are ATR-102's (one 1/4" deck and one 1/2" deck) which are modified better than new by ATR Service Inc, and tubed MR 70 preamps also modified to better than new are used as the output electronics. my next favorite deck would be the same ATR-102 modified but using the stock Ampex electronics, and next would be a stock ATR-102 but renewed by ATR Service.

that same order would be the three best sounding decks i have heard. but certainly a top condition A-820 or A-80 would be on the same level as the pure stock ATR-102. i'm sure many would raise their hand with an alternate idea on this.

Last edited:

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Here's David Denyer's synopsis of new tapes released in 2023... lot's of new titles & genres to choose from. I'm sure there are more but just the ones he's heard....

Ed

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I've been involved with R2R tape since the early 60s. While in the military and stationed overseas our Posts/Bases had Audio Clubs that we could purchase equipment through and I started with a Revox A77. Over the years I've had many different decks and now still enjoy both 2 track and 4 track with Revox PR99 MkIII handling the 2 track and a Revox B77 MkII the 4 track formats. These are not $20k + decks and usually can be acquired for around $2k to 3k and another $2k to be restored. These are not top of the line decks but, still provide excellent sound reproduction and many hours of listening enjoyment.

Reactions: tapepath

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
A bit off topic: I have started receiving some tapes that were about to be discontinued.
is it OK to store them, in their Analog Productions case, about 6” away from a power supply (Nagra)? I’ve ordered a gauss meter to be sure; but my guess is the magnetic field must be quite strong to affect the stored content?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I wouldn't. Larry

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Just remembered that the iPhone measures magnetic strength quite sensitively. Downloaded "Metal Detector" app which measures in micro-Tesla. Totally fine in this shelf above some power supplies - but I have other PSUs that do read a higher than nominal magnetic strength.
Worth checking your storage area, as I found some areas that I thought would be benign and were not.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
What is the minimum distance one should sit from a tape machine in order to not hear the machine itself during playback? I understand that all machines/tapes make some noise during playback, unlike a record player, for example.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
What is the minimum distance one should sit from a tape machine in order to not hear the machine itself during playback? I understand that all machines/tapes make some noise during playback, unlike a record player, for example.
A well maintained machine should not have significant noise. However, loss of lubricants on old tapes can cause squeaking. This can be ameliorated by applying Last tape preservative or silicone fluid.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Some machines are quite noisy among others the Telefunken M15 and the Sony APR 5003V. I have 3 fully overhauled capstan motors for my Studer A80 and I selected the quietest. But indeed a good and well maintained machine should not have significant noise.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Some machines are quite noisy among others the Telefunken M15 and the Sony APR 5003V. I have 3 fully overhauled capstan motors for my Studer A80 and I selected the quietest. But indeed a good and well maintained machine should not have significant noise.
My Nagra T Audio developed noises, and it turned out to be due to deteriorating belts. After replacing these, the machine no longer makes any noise. Even my refurbished Revox B77 is pretty quiet.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
There are always going to be some sample-to-sample variations... so my M15A is very quiet, but the Sony I can hear 10-12' away... however, the ATR-102's are always quiet...I am sure in part due to the fact their 2.5" diameter capstan is barely spinning. :) At 15ips there is nothing there spinning faster than 2rpm. The reels, of course, are not doing more than 1rpm.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
There are always going to be some sample-to-sample variations... so my M15A is very quiet, but the Sony I can hear 10-12' away... however, the ATR-102's are always quiet...I am sure in part due to the fact their 2.5" diameter capstan is barely spinning. :) At 15ips there is nothing there spinning faster than 2rpm. The reels, of course, are not doing more than 1rpm.
Interesting, thanks. But then a faster spinnIng capstan has more precise speed control… I guess it’s all trade-offs, like with everything else.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
If that was true then everyone would be using 2mm or 1mm capstans... in reality large diameter capstans are normally used in high quality machines. There is very good reason for that.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
If that was true then everyone would be using 2mm or 1mm capstans... in reality large diameter capstans are normally used in high quality machines. There is very good reason for that.
And what is that reason?
Perhaps it’s due to technical limitations of motor control electronics at the time.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
It seems like someone planted that idea into your mind, but it is incorrect. The manufacturing tolerances will play much more significant role in a small diameter capstan, so a .001" tolerance will be a more significant portion of 2mm than of 10mm. Plus small diameter parts are generally harder to make accurately.

Next comes the tape slippage, which will be far, far greater with a small capstan than it is with a, say, 12mm one. Slippage kills speed accuracy.

Add to this such things as bearings tolerances, and the capstan bending and you should see why large capstan is a clear winner.

Not surprisingly the machine with one of the best W&F performance in the industry uses a 35mm capstan. And the ATR-100 with its huge 2.5" capstan is just a tiny step behind.

You should take what the manufacturers tell you with a huge dose of salt.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
And you should take into account 50+ years of digital and motor innovation, which clearly has been monumental. I have no doubt this was all true 50 years ago, but likely untrue with modern machines. Any modern machine should beat W&F of any vintage machine for this reason alone. Now I doubt anyone has measured, but it makes intrinsic sense.
Slippage kills speed accuracy: sure. But a small capstan = more slippage? Why? There is no physical reason for that. There must have been other intrinsic differences in the machines if that has been your experience.
It’s a new world out there guys!

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
It's OK... believe what you wish.

BTW, you say 50+ years... I spend the last 50+ years working in electronic industry: military, instrumentation, last 30 years in high-end audio, so I would venture to say I have some idea about the progress.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing