Official Thread to Report Bugs, Concerns or Suggestions With The New Site Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Turns out I can only type in a small amount of text into a PM, after which the system refuses to display 'preview". That is also why our PM exchange from just now went fine, Steve, because it was just one or two sentences at a time.

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Lets see what URLJet say on the ticket. Possibly the server is overloaded with Christmas website sales, as we are on a shared package, so we get impacted.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Dear Steve and Admin,

Suggestion:

Show links underlined as the default behavior for a link in WBF. There are lots of good reasons to do this and they all come down to making a link clearly visible for all users.

Below is an excerpt from a recent message on this topic taken from a thread where links were posted but not easily seen: In that previous sentence I intentionally underlined the link (the word 'message') . The suggestion is to have the forum software do this automatically.

I don't know what others see but in Firefox (latest) WBF links are not obvious in either my android tablet or my win7 main computer.

Thank you for your consideration,
tima

good idea Tim

i forwarded this to Julian to see if we can make that happen.

Steve, Julian - any further thoughts on this? Making the default for links to show as underlined? Thanks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Check ...

1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film)

2. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film)

Tim, you prefer #2 (underlined) for a link?
I added [ ] underlined brackets (beginning & end of the link) [/] for #2 (I do it sometimes).
If using a device with a browser that allows a dark mode it is easier to see the link without underlining it. But without a dark mode (like here using a tablet) the link is gold color against a white background, a little harder to see with the black lettering (red would be better) and even more so to certain pairs of eyes...so I can relate to that.

Last edited:

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Check ...

1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film)

2. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film)

Tim, you prefer #2 (underlined) for a link?
I added [ ] underlined brackets (beginning & end of the link) [/] for #2 (I do it sometimes).
If using a device with a browser that allows a dark mode it is easier to see the link without underlining it. But without a dark mode (like here using a tablet) the link is gold color against a white background, a little harder to see with the black lettering (red would be better) and even more so to certain pairs of eyes...so I can relate to that.
I'll look again at this. If we have to create a new style it may add links everywhere, i.e. other areas on the forum. It needs to be isolated to post text styles.

Reactions: tima

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Me I'm fine 100% with the way it is. I don't have a problem to see all the links.
If more members like Tim would mention that they cannot see the links, I would use underlined brackets all the time for them. It's just the way I am and always have been since I was born.

I tried using different colors but that didn't work.
This works fast enough ... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuPont_(1802–2017)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I'll look again at this. If we have to create a new style it may add links everywhere, i.e. other areas on the forum. It needs to be isolated to post text styles.

I agree. I'm not suggesting to add links, just make existing links within posts, particularly words or phrases that have links more obvious. As it stands I have to pass the cursor over a word to discover it is a link. When I post a linked word, I underline it, but most do not do that.

Reactions: christoph

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I see ... a link through a single word or a date (number) or both ...

Test:

#1 You can check a 1917 Film Review on livemint.

#2 You can check a 1917 Film Review on livemint.

The 2nd option is easier to see (link).
A link that starts with https (full address) is no problem.
But if only one word is used like here, then underlining the word "here" is the way to go. ...Complètement d'accord.

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree. I'm not suggesting to add links, just make existing links within posts, particularly words or phrases that have links more obvious. As it stands I have to pass the cursor over a word to discover it is a link. When I post a linked word, I underline it, but most do not do that.
How about suggesting that whoever creates the link simply go back and change it to a different color where it is easier to see

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
How about suggesting that whoever creates the link simply go back and change it to a different color where it is easier to see

Sure, and that is often done.

Anything could work that makes enough of a differentiation so users can recognize what text is linked. Years back it was almost standard practice to show links in a specific color, often blue and to underline them. Nowadays style is all over the place.

Color can work as a differentiator. It is a bit more bit tricky given different display performance, user selectable color schemes or styles, and user ability to see color contrasts. I don't know if there is any practice taken at WBF with regard to ADA (Americans with Disibilities Act) compliance or users with visual impairment such as color blindness. Just a thought. I'm advocating for useability, not a specific implementation.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
They were full images this started happening recently.
Can you provide a screenshot?
Your's above look good to me

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Can you provide a screenshot?
Your's above look good to me

This one is what I posted, you can see that most of them are cut off either at the top or the bottom with a sliver of another emoji

Emoji 1.jpeg

This is the Emoji selection bar, same probelm

emoji 2.jpeg

david

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing