Optimal volume control range/position

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
What is considered to be an optimal operating range of the preamp volume control In terms of the best frequency response, distortion, noise?
b/w 10-12 o’clock on the dial?
and what happens from the electrical point of view when it below 9 or above 12?

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
That is entirely impossible to answer in general. It depends on the type of VC, the implementation and of course the preamp model itself. Some use abstract numeric steps, some 1db steps, some 0.1db steps, etc. Dial range in one model is not equal to another.
A good example is the good old Conrad Johnson ACT2, it cuts off frequency response below unity gain (76 on the "dial") but that raises to above 100k above 76. Of course e.g. a TVC would act entirely different electrically speaking and so would a traditional pot.

Reactions: ddk

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Thank you,
I understand. But lets assume we are talking averages.
Does preamp operate optimally when VC is 40-60% open, vs. 30% or 70%.
BTW, the preamp in question is Shindo Giscours, which is a rather “old Time classic design” if that tells anything

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I still don't think this question can be answered. It depends on the source and even then? It depends on the album. The optimal operating range would simply be when all of the electronics/components within are at their own individual optimal operating temperature. After that? As mentioned before, I don't think this question can be answered.

Tom

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
I still don't think this question can be answered. It depends on the source and even then? It depends on the album. The optimal operating range would simply be when all of the electronics/components within are at their own individual optimal operating temperature. After that? As mentioned before, I don't think this question can be answered.

Tom
Additionally with certain models you need to take the input impedance of the poweramp into account. Some preamps have varying Z-out with different volume settings, meaning the driving capability varies too. And then comes gain matching and so on, too many variables that lead to no averaged recommendation being sensible.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Are you using a Shindo amp with it? Shindo amps have attenuators so you can tune where your pre volume lands in the sweet spot. I think with Shindo you’re shooting for 11 to 1 o’clock?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
No,
I'm using Lamm ML-2
I'm aware of Shindo amplifiers attenuators.
Which brings me to the following question- how exactly those attenuators work? Do they change an input sensitivity?, or by any other means- like an L-pad?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
According to Pass, on their documentation, the closer the VC is to unity gain, the more of the original signal you are getting. I am at about 70% volume for normal listening levels in the low 70db range.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
No,
I'm using Lamm ML-2
I'm aware of Shindo amplifiers attenuators.
Which brings me to the following question- how exactly those attenuators work? Do they change an input sensitivity?, or by any other means- like an L-pad?
I agree with the above posters. It depends and is specific the VC used and the preamp. I believe your Lamm is using stepped resistor attenuators, so in each volume control position, it's just a different resistor and your volume control sweet spot is likely any choice you want.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I think there is a little bit of misunderstanding here.
My Lamm power amps don’t have input attenuators, and my Shindo Giscours preamp has standard volume pot.
My question was about amplifiers that do have attenuators, like all Shindo power amps for example.
I’m wondering how those work?

Robertd

May 13, 2015
I saw a discussion that said they were potentiometers. And a lot of folks with Shindo pres said they had balance issues at lower volume positions. Someone said the idea was to adjust attenuators on the amps so that the pre volume control lives between 10 and 2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing