Orchestral choral music and recordings

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Tima,

I have to say, I have nearly all the Bach choral music as well as all the Handel choral music...mesmerizing. 10 years ago, I just went to Penguin Guide and started picking them off, one at a time. If I am mentally in that game while working (as opposed to another genre of music), I can go for hours playing one after the other all day and night. Somehow, I prefer it the numerous Mozart Requiems, etc that we also have.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Check out "The Nordic Sound" from 2L records. There are 4 or 5 tracks on this album (it is a compilation of various classical pieces) with good Choral music.
Funny - I have just about all the 2L catalog and found it hard to love them.

it’s a wonderful thing we all enjoy difference and still both consider and feel the joy in others posts.

I shall dig them out and find something to listen to them on again.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Funny - I have just about all the 2L catalog and found it hard to love them.

it’s a wonderful thing we all enjoy difference and still both consider and feel the joy in others posts.

I shall dig them out and find something to listen to them on again.
They can be a bit cold sounding but for choral it means you hear everyone in the choir pretty well.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Reactions: Andrew S.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
For something refreshing and challenging listen to Veljo Tormis: Litany To Thunder - ECM Records

a1.jpg

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I really have enjoyed the Suzuki Bach Cantata Series on BIS. Both the 55 SACD's, all multichannel, of the sacred cantatas, and the CDs and SACDs of the secular cantatas (I have six or seven of those). The first third of the sacred cantatas were first issued on CD and only later reissued on SACD with mch. I think those early ones may have reprocessed back channels. Kal may know.

We were able to see and hear Suzuki with his Bach Collegium Japan when they gave a concert in Berkeley a few years ago. It was at

I started with the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt 2 LP boxes on Telefunken, which I believe were the first HIP performances, including the use of boy sopranos (which Bach used - his students at the Thomaskirche in Leipzig where he wrote most (all?) of the cantatas - including many that have been lost. I didn't start until after they had been out for many years and I have been able to buy almost all of the set (45 double albums) in the used record market. I am only missing a few of the last albums which were digitally recorded and I think issued as CD's at the same time as their vinyl release. They have a great advantage, including miniature scores of each of cantatas featured in each album.

Larry

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The first third of the sacred cantatas were first issued on CD and only later reissued on SACD with mch. I think those early ones may have reprocessed back channels. Kal may know.
I do not know but, if you have any of the SACDs, you can search it for a copyright date.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I do not know but, if you have any of the SACDs, you can search it for a copyright date.
Thanks, Kal. I have the SACD's, but I have to go into my storage unit to find them. I know the SACD's were released several years after the original CD's for numbers 1 through around 20. I started buying the SACD's when the first of those came out as original mch SACDs. I rip all my SACD's and then put them away. Larry

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Thanks, Kal. I have the SACD's, but I have to go into my storage unit to find them. I know the SACD's were released several years after the original CD's for numbers 1 through around 20. I started buying the SACD's when the first of those came out as original mch SACDs. I rip all my SACD's and then put them away. Larry
Same here. That's why I didn't reply with a straight answer. Might try discogs.

jandl100

Mar 6, 2018
Forest of Dean, UK
Like me, you probably don't have to be a particular fan of modern ballet to enjoy this performance of Mozart's wonderful C Minor Great Mass k427. I have it on DVD Video, but also available on YouTube.

It's interspersed with some generally short late 20thC pieces.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Like me, you probably don't have to be a particular fan of modern ballet to enjoy this performance of Mozart's wonderful C Minor Great Mass k427.
I really like the C Minor Mass (wrote a paper on it in college) but I don't need to have a ballet attached to it, thanks.

jandl100

Mar 6, 2018
Forest of Dean, UK
I really like the C Minor Mass (wrote a paper on it in college) but I don't need to have a ballet attached to it, thanks.
Well, no, you don't need to have a ballet attached. In fact it's the only thing I listen to that has. But I find it interesting and enjoyable.
And it is a very fine performance of the Mass!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing