Ordering a Bokrand Tonearm

gramofonia

Jun 22, 2022
Can someone explain this to me? My tonearm is more than a year overdue as well as lots of others but there is one for sale on facebook. I tried to write message on the sale but it didn't let me.

When it comes to Alfred's way of doing business a lot of stuff just doesn't make sense to be honest. I was lucky and got my fast but for many it's been one bumpy ride with lots of frustration.

Reactions: viliuset

luca78

Oct 22, 2023
italy
I was lucky, a few months ago I contacted Alfred for an AB309 banana and it was delivered very quickly. The lift is not the one in the photos, but it's fine, it works and I feel comfortable. The one with the ball in the lever wasn't available, Alfred told me. I took a risk, I ordered and paid by bank transfer (not on ebay), but in the end it worked. However, I find Alfred's behavior that I read in your comments very disorderly and incorrect. I understand the problems (health or financial), I can understand everything, but when it comes to work the problems must be divided. With this I don't want to discourage any buyer, but I would like to make Alfred understand (if he reads me), that in order to have the trust of any future customers must establish certain times and guarantees. The WEB is a great resource for sellers and buyers, but it can also be a big problem if there is a lack of correctness.

rahman

Jun 16, 2010
Dublin
Unfortunately, Alfred's unsavory business practices (basically robbing Peter to pay Paul) are continuing.

In brief, I purchased an AB309 off ebay on 19 January, but only after getting Alfred to confirm the following before purchasing:
"Hi Adrian
I confirm shipping with DHL and tracking shipping next week Friday" (i.e. 26 January)
Best regards
Alfred"

Given the various complaints about his practices all over the web, I thought it best to get written confirmation in advance of purchase and to pay with paypal.

As I was going to be away for work the following week, I also wrote to him to give him more time to ship so I could be home to accept delivery.

Sadly, no communications from him since purchase, notwithstanding some gentle reminders.

Today, I wrote to him to advise that if I did not receive the arm by 14 February that I would be opening a complaint with ebay/paypal. I also stated "It is unfortunate that you are forcing me to take these measures and I had sincerely hoped that you would honor the commitments that you made before I purchased the item. I hope you will rectify the situation soonest."

In the interests of transparency and fairness, I will update this post, but, based on my experience to-date, I would strongly suggest not buying from him at this time and certainly not via a payment method for which there is not ready redress given his business practices (i.e. definitely not via bank transfer).

At the same time, I do hope he gets his affairs sorted and generates the funds in advance to actually produce and distribute the arms in a normal, timely manner.

Cheers,
Adrian

rahman

Jun 16, 2010
Dublin
Unfortunately, Alfred's unsavory business practices (basically robbing Peter to pay Paul) are continuing.

In brief, I purchased an AB309 off ebay on 19 January, but only after getting Alfred to confirm the following before purchasing:
"Hi Adrian
I confirm shipping with DHL and tracking shipping next week Friday" (i.e. 26 January)
Best regards
Alfred"

Given the various complaints about his practices all over the web, I thought it best to get written confirmation in advance of purchase and to pay with paypal.

As I was going to be away for work the following week, I also wrote to him to give him more time to ship so I could be home to accept delivery.

Sadly, no communications from him since purchase, notwithstanding some gentle reminders.

Today, I wrote to him to advise that if I did not receive the arm by 14 February that I would be opening a complaint with ebay/paypal. I also stated "It is unfortunate that you are forcing me to take these measures and I had sincerely hoped that you would honor the commitments that you made before I purchased the item. I hope you will rectify the situation soonest."

In the interests of transparency and fairness, I will update this post, but, based on my experience to-date, I would strongly suggest not buying from him at this time and certainly not via a payment method for which there is not ready redress given his business practices (i.e. definitely not via bank transfer).

At the same time, I do hope he gets his affairs sorted and generates the funds in advance to actually produce and distribute the arms in a normal, timely manner.

Cheers,
Adrian
Update as promised.

On 14 Feb, Alfred sent the following message:

"Hello Adrian,

I strongly recommend filing a complaint on Ebay. If the deadline has passed, you can open it with your payment service provider (bank/Paypal). This lasts up to 6 months and you will get your money back.

Ebay has blocked my account and is not paying out my credit, apparently because Ebay ASSUMES that she didn't get her tonearm. That's why I'm being punished with business damage (which is a punishable offense in Germany).
Since I no longer have any income, I can't buy any material. This has been going on for weeks now, and that's why I'm missing lifts and other material.
Ebay ACCEPTS!! I can also assume that the CEO of Ebay will soon commit a crime and sentence him with a fine!!

Anyway, once you get your money back, you can easily find me by Googling alfred bokrand tonearms or youtube

I'm very sorry about this situation, but I've never let anyone treat me like this in my 50 years of independence

thank you for your understanding

best regards

Alfred"

I have since filed a complaint with ebay and expect to have a full refund shortly.

Sadly, I would have much preferred he actually delivered the arm.

Upshot is that (a) his items on ebay are just vaporware and (b) ordering directly from him at this time would seem foolhardy at best.

Hopefully he gets his shit sorted.

Cheers,
Adrian

gramofonia

Jun 22, 2022
Update as promised.

"Hello Adrian,

I strongly recommend filing a complaint on Ebay. If the deadline has passed, you can open it with your payment service provider (bank/Paypal). This lasts up to 6 months and you will get your money back.

Ebay has blocked my account and is not paying out my credit, apparently because Ebay ASSUMES that she didn't get her tonearm. That's why I'm being punished with business damage (which is a punishable offense in Germany).
Since I no longer have any income, I can't buy any material. This has been going on for weeks now, and that's why I'm missing lifts and other material.
Ebay ACCEPTS!! I can also assume that the CEO of Ebay will soon commit a crime and sentence him with a fine!!

Anyway, once you get your money back, you can easily find me by Googling alfred bokrand tonearms or youtube

I'm very sorry about this situation, but I've never let anyone treat me like this in my 50 years of independence

best regards

Alfred"

I have since filed a complaint with ebay and expect to have a full refund shortly.

Upshot is that (a) his items on ebay are just vaporware and (b) ordering directly from him at this time would seem foolhardy at best.

Cheers,
Adrian

That’s interesting answer from him, as he pretty much copy pasted the same answer to me when I asked why the tonearm I have ordered hasn’t been shipped. Now, like I previously said I was very lucky getting the tonearm fast. I also haven’t read forums regarding his shady business practices, had I done that I would never order it the first place.

With that said, I strongly believe that Alfreds intentions are well and he just got overwhelmed with orders he couldn’t not fulfill fast enough. Could’ve been that he priced the tonearm way to low or that he was just not capable making them in those quantities. Who knows but I don’t buy the eBays blocked me crap.

Reactions: viliuset and rahman

Tomcat1969

Jul 19, 2023
This is the second time that this "problem" with Ebay has arisen.

I also received the same message, as did others, last year.

I'm of the opinion that he only has himself to blame. He takes the orders and then, arbitrarily decides, it seems, who will be blessed with delivery. He knows how it will go with Ebay because he's already been down that same route.

I'm all out of sympathy now.

Tomcat1969

Jul 19, 2023
Update as promised.

"Hello Adrian,

best regards

Alfred"

Cheers,
Adrian
Thanks for posting.

Reactions: rahman

rahman

Jun 16, 2010
Dublin
This is the second time that this "problem" with Ebay has arisen.

I also received the same message, as did others, last year.

I'm of the opinion that he only has himself to blame. He takes the orders and then, arbitrarily decides, it seems, who will be blessed with delivery. He knows how it will go with Ebay because he's already been down that same route.

I'm all out of sympathy now.
I suspect he was using ebay orders as a means of getting temporary funds with which to fulfill previous overdue orders and hoping, perhaps, that some ebay buyers might miss the complaint deadline etc. However, ebay has probably cottoned on to this and likely withholds cash completely until confirmed delivery.

A truly sad state of affairs.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
In business this is known as a Ponzi scheme. Ponzi schemes are illegal.

Reactions: viliuset and mtemur

Dannie Burger

Nov 28, 2023
The Netherlands
Any updates from Alfred recently? Anyone received his tonearm? I’m still waiting, more and more I feel like I want to stop Alfred totally from doing this kind of business (or hobby as he calls it)
He keeps on promising people quick delivery’s and when someone complains he makes it look like he’s a victim of the situation while he’s the one who started creating this mess

come on Alfred, stop with the lies and tell us what to expect. And stop selling tonearms with quick delivery promises, that’s just unfair and wrong even when you say you’ll deliver in the end.

If you would for just once give honest expectations and keep promises we all would love you and your product. It’s not the other way around.

I’ll keep on waiting and wishing. All the best

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I haven't received mine. It is now close to 15 months overdue.

He has answered an email of mine lately and told me he will send me a tonearm. He attached a few photos from his latest tonearm design but no details on when he is going to send me mine...

• Angry
Reactions: christoph
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
he answered me a couple of weeks ago and said he hadn´t gotten lifts yet
because the supplier was empty
think he expected a new shipment last week
mailed reminder yesterday.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing