Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Having resumed looking at, and mulling upon a Pacific, for my part i find it somewhat disappointing that the DAC casework is no longer offered in the original materials or finish, I am presuming manufacturing/material costs here.
In its original guise the Pacific imo exuded TOTL product, however given the current options available, merely standard case work and nothing out of the ordinary I’m sorry to say.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Having resumed looking at, and mulling upon a Pacific, for my part i find it somewhat disappointing that the DAC casework is no longer offered in the original materials or finish, I am presuming manufacturing/material costs here.
In its original guise the Pacific imo exuded TOTL product, however given the current options available, merely standard case work and nothing out of the ordinary I’m sorry to say.
Are you referring to the black case that it is shipped in?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I presume you mean the gold finish? Yes, pity, it did stand out from the crowd. I'm sure it can still be done but may be at higher cost and wait time. I can tell you from experience that it was a fingerprint, dust and crud magnet though...

Reactions: christoph

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I presume you mean the gold finish? Yes, pity, it did stand out from the crowd. I'm sure it can still be done but may be at higher cost and wait time. I can tell you from experience that it was a fingerprint, dust and crud magnet though...
I do indeed....

613E1F24-41A0-42F8-8072-CA823FAEEF98.jpeg

2F9DC12B-39DC-4DD8-9059-8E443B0014C9.png

Attachments

• A79C6000-7837-41C3-AABE-F3B2B864B014.jpeg
    A79C6000-7837-41C3-AABE-F3B2B864B014.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
One on Audiogon now. No affiliation.

Lampizator

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I guess you can still get the gold finish but I would advise against it because it is real PITA to keep the golden Pacific spotless :eek:
The gold finish is a complete fingerprint magnet and you would be polishing the case permanently or the gold finish would look "less desirable" :oops:

There are different fancy options, though.
My "Duracell" (black case with copper top) became one of the standard options for the Pacific in the meantime. And then there is the "Iron Man" (red case with copper top) or like my friend Michael has his Pacific to match with the Aries Cerat amps and preamp he has, black case with matte stainless steel top.

If you search this forum (or even this thread) with "duracell" or "iron man", you should find pictures of all the different looks mentioned above.

The Pacific is a really extraordinary DAC and you should NOT turn it down because of the color. It would be YOUR loss :p

I'm pretty confident that you and Lampizator will find a color scheme that suits your taste :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I guess you are happy to have changed from Gold to Duracell :D

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I guess you can still get the gold finish but I would advise against it because it is real PITA to keep the golden Pacific spotless :eek:
The gold finish is a complete fingerprint magnet and you would be polishing the case permanently or the gold finish would look "less desirable" :oops:
Kid leather...silk lining :D 470AE0D9-8E65-41A5-8F0B-DCD08E009AA1.jpeg

Reactions: Golum and abeidrov

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The RD27AS + Tak 274B combo in my Pacific is glorious. I wonder what other rectifier I should try.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
A query if I may....Were one to set up ones Pacific to major on tonal density , weight and liquid texture, particularly close miked Crooner/ Diva vocal, late night Jazz, String solo/quartet and the like , think GG2 on steroids , what valve set would be your weapon of choice?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A query if I may....Were one to set up ones Pacific to major on tonal density , weight and liquid texture, particularly close miked Crooner/ Diva vocal, late night Jazz, String solo/quartet and the like , think GG2 on steroids , what valve set would be your weapon of choice?

This is to some extent downstream dependent. Instead of asking by sonic attributes and trying those valves, which might not work in your system, you should try to rotate as see what sounds best. Keep the Pac single ended and rotate PX25 (kr or RK), Lampi 45, KR 242 to start with. Then move from there you will get other valves to demo over time.

Ideally one would try different preamps while trying out the Lampi but such logistics are difficult for most to manage

Reactions: Tuckia

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
If you want your lampi to major on tonal density stick with the GG2. The Pacific will always be "lighter" than the GG2 with the same valves.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
If you want your lampi to major on tonal density stick with the GG2. The Pacific will always be "lighter" than the GG2 with the same valves.
I too was of a similar opinion, but having lived with the PAC for a while would beg to differ. The PAC is more critical of ancillary support as it's more revealing. Given an ideal match with a gain matching pre it easily moves ahead of the GG . GG1 in this case..... Similar to the GG2 I suppose?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I too was of a similar opinion, but having lived with the PAC for a while would beg to differ. The PAC is more critical of ancillary support as it's more revealing. Given an ideal match with a gain matching pre it easily moves ahead of the GG . GG1 in this case..... Similar to the GG2 I suppose?
I think this is a case of what you get used to - I've had my PAC a month or so and would not describe it as "lighter" in isolation, but am pretty sure if I slotted a GG2 back into the system instead, the comparison would be that the GG2 has a denser sound.
I agree the ancillaries are important - the amps I now use have a pretty saturated sound and so work v well with the PAC. In my previous system, the amps were much "lighter", and so I preferred the GG2 in that set-up.

Reactions: Argonaut and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I think this is a case of what you get used to - I've had my PAC a month or so and would not describe it as "lighter" in isolation, but am pretty sure if I slotted a GG2 back into the system instead, the comparison would be that the GG2 has a denser sound.
I agree the ancillaries are important - the amps I now use have a pretty saturated sound and so work v well with the PAC. In my previous system, the amps were much "lighter", and so I preferred the GG2 in that set-up.
I would say I'm in your boat of thinking. To me they are not better/worse comparison. If I could have both i would. In very simplified terms GG2 i would call toobey sounding and Pac detail/faster sounding...of course upstream and downstream gear being the same while comparing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut and heihei

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Good posts @helhel and @Golum and pretty much the way I have been viewing the two models .
I wonder whether previous and current choice of capacitors and resistors have played a sum of parts in the voicing of GG > GG2 > PAC

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Good posts @helhel and @Golum and pretty much the way I have been viewing the two models .
I wonder whether previous and current choice of capacitors and resistors have played a sum of parts in the voicing of GG > GG2 > PAC
Guess they did to certain extent but don't forget two major things - digital engine is not the same in PAC and GG2 and output DHT section is also different. Same DHTs in those two models differ in performance (not massively but they do)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing