Phonostage recommendations for Clearaudio MC cart

JimmyJet

Nov 15, 2022
Gig Harbor, WA
Hi all - been reading these forums for a few years, but just joined. My rig is listed in my signature, but I'm using a Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT with their 12" Universal arm, and their Jubilee MC II cartridge. I actually have a great sound that I love and all my guests have great things to say when they hear my system - but just like all of us, I'm just trying to take it to the next level ;) I had a Sutherland 2020 phonostage, but sold it because I actually prefer the stage built-in to my McIntosh C53 pre - the gain is fixed at 60dB and I'm loading at 1000 ohms. I've heard my entire system at my LAD with the AR PH9 stage and the Mc MP1100, although at different times and in different rooms, the sound I remember liking most was the AR PH9. So, yes, I could just go with that, but wanted to see what others are using with their Clearaudio MC carts. I understand there are of course differences between each of CA's MC carts, but amongst their top 6 (the ones with the star-shaped heads), there is also much in common, so regardless of which model you own, I'd be interested in hearing what your using and why you like it. -cheers!

PS: Couldn't help adding this slightly off-topic query, but have any of you owned the previous versions of the Goldfinger or Jubilee when they were fitted with the Gyger S stylus, and now own the current production which has instead, their new Prime Line stylus? I'd be interested in hearing your take on the stylus switch - I did own the previous Jubilee MC that had the Gyger and absolutely loved it, then had a nightmare accident and replaced it at a discount through their customer loyalty program without knowing they're now made with Prime Line styli. I noticed it as soon as the first few bars played and did some research to find out why it sounded so different and then discovered they retired the Gyger styli. I still love my Jubilee, but feel it sorta lost a little magic... How about you?

Last edited:

Mr Peabody

Oct 9, 2022
Like you I was using a Sutherland, now I use the built-in stage of my Levinson preamp. I always liked the Musical Surroundings phono stages with the Clear Audio.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Have you tried one of the top of line Clear Audio phono stages ?
Maybe worth a home demo (if you can get it) for system synergy alone if nothing else.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
PS: Couldn't help adding this slightly off-topic query, but have any of you owned the previous versions of the Goldfinger or Jubilee when they were fitted with the Gyger S stylus, and now own the current production which has instead, their new Microline stylus? I'd be interested in hearing your take on the stylus switch
I can not specifically say which diamond shape is better on Ortofon cartridges but I always like the cartridges with boron cantilever and Gyger S profile. I don’t know if it’s because of cantilever material and diamond profile cause I didn’t have a chance to compare exactly same cartridges with different diamond profiles. I have a tendency to prefer Gyger and Ogura diamond profiles over Namiki Micro Ridge and Shibata.

JimmyJet

Nov 15, 2022
Gig Harbor, WA
Have you tried one of the top of line Clear Audio phono stages ?
Maybe worth a home demo (if you can get it) for system synergy alone if nothing else.
You know, I've often wondered about these, but I've never read about nor have met anyone with the high end Clearaudio carts that use the CA phono stages - even my LAD who's a CA dealer doesn't use them and I don't know why that is (I'll have to remember to ask the next time I'm in). Also, in all of the forums I read, folks using the CA carts in nice systems never list the CA phono stages either. As curious as I am to hear one, I'm not crazy about their fixed gain - one has it set to 56dB which would be ideal for CA carts, but not flexible for others, and another one has it set to 66dB which I think is too high for a one-gain-fits-all value.

JimmyJet

Nov 15, 2022
Gig Harbor, WA
I can not specifically say which diamond shape is better on Ortofon cartridges but I always like the cartridges with boron cantilever and Gyger S profile. I don’t know if it’s because of cantilever material and diamond profile cause I didn’t have a chance to compare exactly same cartridges with different diamond profiles. I have a tendency to prefer Gyger and Ogura diamond profiles over Namiki Micro Ridge and Shibata.
I also prefer the Gyger. I was able to hear the actual difference of just the change of the stylus cut because it was the same cart with everything the same (including boron cantilever) except for the stylus. CA's new Prime Line (I mistakenly referred to it as Microline in my original post) is a bit more "polite" -- especially to tracks that weren't optimally recorded or mastered for vinyl. I found the Gyger was revealing the accurate truth of the recording/mastering/pressing: it was glorious when those elements were well done, but if they weren't, the Gyger would reveal that as well. Now, with the Prime Line, I feel there's a bit of sugarcoating, even if the the truth isn't what we want to hear... ;)

I wrote to CA inquiring about the switch and they just said:
"You are correct about the changing of the stylus shape. A while ago our management made the decision to change the stylus shape from Gyger S to “Prime Line”. The “Prime Line” can be compared to the Ogura diamond. Quality wise it’s on the same level as the Gyger S."

I then read on the web that it was suspected they didn't want to pay the licensing fees for the Fritz Gyger shape. I have no idea if that's true, but whatever the reason, with this stylus switch, CA has altered their signature sound for all their top tier carts including the Goldfinger. If the change wasn't based on economics, then perhaps they might be aiming towards a sound with wider appeal?

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing