Please help - audio doesn't work

danchme

Apr 4, 2023
Hi all,

I'm trying to connect the Nikkei NMD370 to my Samsung TV to be able to properly watch movies.
1680622135641.png

I received it from a friend who has used it before and it was working fine for him in the following way (and I followed his steps):
1. I connected the two speakers with the red and black cords to the dvd player.
2. I connected the white and red audio cables to the dvd player.
3. I am connected to power.
1680622141921.png
4. The white and red audio cables that go into the dvd player (above) is connected to the headphones jack in my Samsung tv (see below).

1680622148265.png
I also have a Google chromecast to which I stream.

My friend had the exact same installation and for him it all worked perfectly:
- he could adjust the chromecast volume on his phone (I can too)
- he could adjust the speakers volume with the TV remote (I can too)
- he could adjust the speakers volume with the dvd player itself (this I cannot)

For some reason when I adjust the volume on the dvd player, nothing happens. I see on the screen of the dvd player that the volume is going up or down (range from 0 to 36), but nothing happens to the actual volume I'm hearing.
As a result I am left with a bit of a low volume when watching stuff on my TV. It works, but I can sense that it's not it's max volume (or anywhere near) and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can help me!

Someone knows whether this could be caused by my tv, or whether I try different cables, etc.

Thank you so much in advance.

Daniel

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Daniel!

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
I’m a bit confused. Do you get sound if you put a CD into the Nikkei player and just play that and can you control the volume?

If you do, I suspect the problem is with your Samsung TV settings in terms of how it’s outputting the sound to the headphone Jack.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I suspect that that bank of ports at the rear of your DVD player are OUTPUT ports, NOT input ports.

The bank of ports at the rear of your Samsung TV are probably INPUT ports, NOT output ports.

If this is correct, then those ports are designed so that the DVD player can output sound to another device. In this case, your TV. What you are trying to do is take output from the Samsung TV and send it to the DVD player. This will not work.

If you play a DVD, you should be able to hear sound from your speakers and adjust the volume with your DVD player.

This is how you can test this:

1. Hook up your DVD player to another amplifier or powered speaker which is known to accept RCA input. Play a DVD and see if the other device plays sound. If you hear sound, then those ports on the DVD player are configured as output ports, not input ports.
2. Hook up any player that plays sound (e.g. Walkman, a CD player, a DAP, etc) to the DVD player. If you hear sound from your DVD player, then it is configured as input ports.

You can repeat the experiment with the TV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing