Pre-Amp reccommendation for Air Tight ATM-300R power amp

bodhisattva

Dec 5, 2020
I am close to acquiring an Air Tight ATM-300R power amp. Hence, I wanted to get input and opinions on suitable pre-amps as that will be my next system upgrade. Obviously, an Air Tight pre-amp would be a logical choice but I wanted to consider other possibilities as well...

Which pre-amps are other here using with Air Tight gear? What do you think of the synergy / resulting system SQ?

What other pre-amps make sense to investigate?

According to Stereophile measurements: "The input impedance was a usefully high 78.5k ohms at low and middle frequencies, dropping to a still-high 54k ohms at 20kHz."

Thank you.

Last edited:

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I use an EMIA Silver wound Autoformer with my 300R. It is a passive pre. The 300R is very neutral so whatever preamp you use will come through. With the super high sensitivity of the 300R you don’t need a preamp with lots of gain.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I use an EMIA Silver wound Autoformer with my 300R. It is a passive pre. The 300R is very neutral so whatever preamp you use will come through. With the super high sensitivity of the 300R you don’t need a preamp with lots of gain.
I was going to suggest the silver Emia also, after seeing the 300R specs. Just make sure you're not using a weak phono output stage, and you'll love the sound you get.

bodhisattva

Dec 5, 2020
Thanks for the suggestion. While I like what tubes bring to the table, the EMIA is a very interesting idea, particularly if used with a tubed DAC and/or phono-pre. Definitely something to investigate and consider further.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. While I like what tubes bring to the table, the EMIA is a very interesting idea, particularly if used with a tubed DAC and/or phono-pre.
Dave Slage offers a no-cost trial of the unit. If you are interested, reach out and give it a no risk shot. I also use his Silver wound SUTs in my Allnic H3000.
Slage is one of the more interesting audio people in the Industry.

Last edited:

bodhisattva

Dec 5, 2020
I was thinking TVC or AVC like the others. For TVC, Music First and Bespoke are common around here.
Thanks -- Upon an initial investigation the TVC / AVC type pre-amps are looking like a really nice option.

In terms of tubed pre-amps, a draft list includes:

Thomas Mayer
Audio-Antiquary
Shindo ^

^ I am really, really curious how the Shindo pre-amps might sound with Air Tight. Might be like oil and vinegar, but then maybe not.

Would love to hear thoughts on these pre-amps as well as others that need to be on the list

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Not sure you will find many on the Shindo + Air Tight, but here is one User: If I wanted a tube pre, the Mayer would be one I would want to try. Another of the more interesting audio folks with great customer service. I bought my Elrogs from him.

Attachments

• 9209B5FB-7BAB-4A58-9FC3-FDC0E6702324.png
    9209B5FB-7BAB-4A58-9FC3-FDC0E6702324.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: bodhisattva

djsina2

May 30, 2019
John DeVore has/had the AT 300B and Shindo pre-amps. Maybe he tried them together?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Shindo preamps are quite colored compared to airtight poweramp. Their basic model though is good value for phono with pre combined.

I have good experience with misho's audio antiquary products. Misho's best product is his phono, it's excellent.

The Mayer 10y silver is my favorite valve preamp. There is another 101d preamp by a small UK company which is excellent but not branded enough yet to have good resale.

Have also done a few 10y / 801a compares on the Mayer pre.

I also own an 801a 4 watts power amp that I haven't heard yet. I will later send it around to compare to other low watt amps

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I used the Emia copper Elmaformer with my Air Tight ATM-1. The sound was outstanding but maybe almost too explosive at times. It seemed to always be on full throttle no matter what I was listening to. I did have some unexplainable weird interactions with either my phono or turntable that nobody could figure out so unfortunately the Emia didn’t last long. It wasn’t the amp though since it also behaved badly on my Allnic.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I used the Emia copper Elmaformer with my Air Tight ATM-1. The sound was outstanding but maybe almost too explosive at times. It seemed to always be on full throttle no matter what I was listening to. I did have some unexplainable weird interactions with either my phono or turntable that nobody could figure out so unfortunately the Emia didn’t last long. It wasn’t the amp though since it also behaved badly on my Allnic.
This was my opinion of the copper EMIA after auditioning the silver EMIA. The word that came to mind was "exaggerated".

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Weird, I've had both side by side. The copper never sounded more explosive nor exaggerated to me. If anything, a bit softer and hazy. Relatively, speaking though. The copper Emia isn't hazy compared to most active preamps, for example.

Reactions: advanced101

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Weird, I've had both side by side. The copper never sounded more explosive nor exaggerated to me. If anything, a bit softer and hazy. Relatively, speaking though. The copper Emia isn't hazy compared to most active preamps, for example.
It is nice to be able to listen to them side by side in our own system. Goes to show you that two people can listen to the same components in their systems and form different opinions. I wish it were easier to demo more equipment before we buy.

Reactions: timztunz

bodhisattva

Dec 5, 2020
I now have committed to the ATM-300R and looking at three more pre-amps to consider for the list of candidates:

1. Doshi Line Preamplifier v3.0
2. VAC Renaissance Mk V
3. Mastersound Spettro

Would love to hear from anyone with experience with these three as well as the others above.

Thanks for all the recommendations and information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cipollae

Oracle1974

Jun 28, 2020
I now have committed to the ATM-300R and looking at three more pre-amps to consider for the list of candidates:

2. VAC Renaissance Mk V
3. Mastersound Spettro

Would love to hear from anyone with experience with these three as well as the others above.

I am using a Doshi preamp. I got in touch with Nick Doshi and sent him the specifications of my power amp. It was important for me to see if the Doshi preamp matched well with my power amp.
For me it was a blind buy. The choice was between preamp of same brand as my power amp and options like Aries Cerat Incito S and Doshi preamp.
Hope this helps and all the best.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

2. VAC Renaissance Mk V
3. Mastersound Spettro

I put a vote in for the Aries Cerat Incito or Incito S. Incredible build quality with a sound to match...tough to beat...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I put a vote in for the Aries Cerat Incito or Incito S. Incredible build quality with a sound to match...tough to beat...
Have you heard the Incito-S in the meantime?
Compared to the regular Incito (without -S) or the Impera?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing